Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

VINE VOICEon 30 October 2011
I loved this book, it was sweet, interesting, heart wrenching and ultimately uplifting.
I chose the book as I love reading about Angels. It had a good review and I downloaded the first sample chapter and i was hooked.
The story was based on Claudie who had recently become a young widow, and how she was coping, sounds sad and is but the story is not depressing at all, also the story gets us to know Claudie's friend Kristen and is about her relationship as a side story, and she knows Simon - who is introduced to Claudie, the rest I will let you read!
The angels are fantastic in the tale, so sweet and it is such a magical book. I was excited to read it was set in Whitby as I once had such a lovely day there on holiday! I loved the atmosphere of there and Paris, I enjoyed the book so much and didn't want it to end.
on 23 October 2012
Flights of Angels is a truly magical story about a young widow called Claudie. She has recently lost her husband and is struggling to cope with her grief. She is fast losing touch with her friends, she doesn't seem to be benefitting from seeing a therapist, and spends all her time watching old MGM musicals on video. She feels like her life is almost over, but then she is visited by a tiny, 6-inch high angel called Jalisa. Jalisa is not your typical angel with halo and wings, but she is there for Claudie nonetheless. With the help of Jalisa and four other angels (Tudor twins Lily and Mary, comedic Bert and alternative medicine fan Mr Woo) Claudie slowly begins to piece her life back together in hopes of accepting her grief and learning that although she may have lost her first love she can still move on.

This is a fabulous novel, magical, witty and at times utterly heartbreaking. Victoria Connelly manages to delicately tap into the mind of a grieving widow whilst adding a fantastical magic element. The angels are fun and believable - not silly at all. And what a wonderful idea that there are a flight of angels out there waiting to help us through difficult times! I only hope that if I ever have to suffer such tragedy that I have my own flight to help me through it!
on 31 January 2012
I loved this novel so much. I like anything to do with angels & it was for this reason & other readers reviews which made me buy it. Now i've finished Flights of Angels, i am really missing the five little angels: Jalisa, Bert, Mr Woo & the 16th century twins, Lily & Mary. This book very much reminded me of a similar novel i read many years ago by Deborah Wright called The Rebel Fairy. Please, please, please Victoria can we have more of these 5 delightful little angels & their friends!
on 28 October 2011
This is a poignant, beautifully written story about a young widow coming to terms with the sudden death of her husband and trying to move on with her life. I'd expected it to be a bit trite and cheesy once I read the summary and saw `angels' were involved, but what I encountered instead was a fabulously written, charming story that really kept me turning the pages with a lovely plot and brilliantly written characters. It is by far one of the best chick lit books I have read in a while.

Claudie, a lover of MGM musicals and Gene Kelly is the main protagonist and fears that she is going mad the day she sees a miniature lady diving into her pencil pot at work, but she isn't: instead she has just met Jalisa, the leader of one of five little angels who have been sent to help Claudie in her time of need. The angels are by her side as Claudie encounters the different stages of grief, though much to her chagrin she is the only person who can see them.

Aside from the main characters in the book who include Claudie, her best friend Kristen and Kristen's other best friend Simon, the five little angels are just fabulously written, all with their own personalities and little quirks and foibles. I loved how each one had one particular characteristic which made them perfect to help Claudie - especially the quiet Mr Woo and bold, outspoken Jalisa. As far as I'm concerned, Connelly could write another book just about them!

This book which is set between Whitby, York and Paris, could have been twee or too overdone in the grief aspect but it manages to be a positive, insightful read about love, life and friendship with its funny and sad moments in equal measure and you do wonder what you would do if you were ever, god forbid, in Claudie's position.

My impression of this book after a while though was wondering if the author has ever actually been to Whitby, or at least spent very much time there. Some of the descriptions are quite generic and superficial and could have been taken from a guidebook and I didn't feel like it was a Whitby I really knew through its sights and smells, which was what I'd been hoping for. I am more than familiar with Whitby having grown up in the north. Simon as well- talk about the perfect, understanding man! I'm quite sure that blokes like him don't exist in real life- if he did then all women would be trying to snap him up!

These minor niggles aside (and it's genuinely only because I have a particular fondness for Whitby and how traditional it is that I pick faults with some of the scene setting), I did really like this book which is why I've rated it so highly. It was a lovely little read and just what I needed after reading some heavier tomes recently. I've never read any of Victoria Connelly's books before but I wouldn't hesitate to do so again- particularly if they're all priced as decently as this one on the Kindle. I would also love to see the film version that has been made of this book providing it comes with subtitles that is (it was produced by a German film company)! It sounds utterly joyful.

Recommended for those who like their chick-lit with a nice touch of sentiment and imagination.
on 18 August 2013
This again is another magical read. Really enjoying Victoria Connelly books (especially the magical ones).
Lookinv flreard to the next one
on 3 October 2013
Its all a little mundane, started reading it 3 weeks ago and am still on;y half way through it just doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I like a book I can't put down but this one I can, and forget about it.

It is written nicely and you feel you know the character in depth but the story lacks something :-(
on 6 February 2015
absolutely a wonderful story a must read , beautiful story
on 29 March 2015
Absolutely loved this story being a fan of Victoria Connelly this is a different type of story for her involving a quirky band of little angels only she can see you have been sent to get her life back a heart warming story I loved it
on 24 September 2013
I enjoyed it. An easy and unchallenging read in the world of fantasy and how escapsm helps in critical times in life when tragedy and bereavement strikes. A lighthearted stroll through life's ups and downs and a happy ending.
on 22 November 2013
very interesting concept on dealing with grief emotions were very realistic having lost someone myself I empathised with the character well written would recommend Victoria Connelly