• Munki

Format: Audio CDChange

on 15 January 2001
Hailed by some as the saviours of rock'n'roll on the release of their debut LP 'Pychocandy' in 1985, it was perhaps inevitable that the Jesus and Mary Chain's career path would be downhill from thereon in. This, their last record, originally appeared in 1999 to widespread disinterest and the band split up soon after, bitter and disillusioned. It's a good record though, sometimes a fantastic record one, though at other times it is admittedly a little hard on the ears. The tension between Jim and William Reid, the brothers from East Kilbride who basically were the band, is nowhere more evident than it is here. Jim's songs are upbeat and melodic, celebrating his life and what he has made of it with music, as on the opening blast of 'I Love Rock'n'Roll' and the heartfelt 'Stardust Remedy'. One wonders to what extent Jim's optimism is an attempt to annoy his famously surly brother Wiliam, whose bitterness, misanthropy and self hatred manifest themselves in a number of uncompromising songs. On some, like 'Birthday' and 'Cracking Up', the result is bracing, dynamic, a perfect demonstration of the group's mastery of indie-rock dynamics; elsewhere, as in 'Commercial' and 'Degenerate', it's a (no doubt intentionally) bruising grind. The album is by no means unremittingly grim, however. Guest appearances by the brothers' sister on 'Mo Tucker' and Mazzy Star singer Hope Sandovaal on 'Honey' provide light relief and musical variety, while several more delicate songs towards the end, William's 'Never Understood' and 'I Can't Find the Time for Times' and Jim's 'Man in the Moon' and 'Dream Lover' prove that both could write impeccably melodic, sensitive, even moving pop music when they so chose. The album ends, however, with 'I Hate Rock'n'Roll', William's bitter tirade against the music industry by which he felt so wronged, and one can't help but think that if they felt like that about it, it's probably just as well they gave it up. While they lasted, though, they were unique, and this is a great lost album.
on 7 November 2002
...Truth is it's not been of my car CD player for three weeks! Driving to work these days has taken on a whole new meaning.
I was a J&MC fan throughout the eighties having caught them early on during one of the chaotic Glasgow shows back in 84. I must admit that come the early 90's I thought they had become the 'Ramones' of feedback.
This album changes everything and I just wished I had picked it up four years ago! Not a duff track in sight with, to these ears, the best set of songs on any J&MC album, great trashy lyrics courtesy of the ever cynical Ried brothers, you can sense history in the making as the two songwriters clash between the hate/love rock 'n' roll central theme.
I mean who can not sit back and enjoy a song with the immediate lyrical onslaught of 'I was just a teenage Jesus freak'? Production is huge and the noise guitars and bathtub drums work brilliantly with the tunes and melodies underpinning the chaos.
William sounds so p****d off on some of the tracks that you can almost sense the inevitability of the soon to happen split.
Leaving the very best to last this is a suitable swansong for a group who wouldn't compromise. Totally overlooked upon release this perhaps makes this an even more important masterpiece in the J&MC anti fashion. For Creation & no doubt McGee to take responsibility for the release is a fitting end from where it all started.
on 17 January 2013
disc 1 is disappointing and sounded like they ran out of ideas but disc 2 is a classic with b side songs that I had not heard before and are superb and finishes off with live performances which are only regret is I never went to see these perform first album I bought was darklands when I was a teenager in the eighties and was hooked on these guys a very underrated band who deserved more credit than they got. I am now 45 and still blast their music today in my car with the best guitar sounds ever.
on 8 July 2015
I drifted away from the Mary Chain in the 90s so I just picked this up recently.
I think it's great - familiar JAMC noise augmented with occasional brass and guest vocals.
Don't know what someone coming to the band for the first time would make of it or if I'd recommend it as a starting point... yeah, go on it's worth the risk
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
..if you are a fan of the later work of the Chain, beginning with Honey's Dead, you'll love this album. If you are more into the tinny, over-feedback sound of the 80s, don't bother. A couple of the tracks on Munki are so-so, but the rest more than make up for minor lapses in Chain coolness. Especially good are Perfume, Commercial and Cracking Up. Make up you're own mind. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
on 8 April 2013
Always been a casual fan of the J&MC, but I never heard Munki until today. Astonishingly good. A fabulous indie rock album of epic proportions and, in my humble opinion, their best work.
on 8 January 2015
very good work. Nice music. With regards
on 7 December 2014
Exactly what I ordered and wanted
on 31 December 2010
While I've always loved The music these guys kicked out this was purely amazing. From the first second it hit my ears I was gripped. Still now years after it's release I listen to it constantly and it still sounds fresh to the ears. I would probably rate this as my favourite record of all time. Definately in my top 10 anyway.
on 25 February 2010
Never mind the NME 6th form 'experts' or the record buying public - this album is a corker containing some sooper dooper tracks and deserves far more respect.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse