5.0 out of 5 stars This album changed my life (I've always wanted to say that!)
Published on 30 July 2006 by Lenny

£22+ for this, brand new, vinyl reissue on 180g. Which is filthy as hell, and warped on one side.

Great music, but the quality control on offer here is amongst the worst out there for vinyl.
Published 3 months ago by N. Mcalister

5.0 out of 5 stars This album changed my life (I've always wanted to say that!), 30 July 2006
Well it did, prior to this I was listening to Queen's 'Greatest Hits', 'Genesis' by Genesis, Rush's '2112' and Scorpions 'World Wide Live'. Dear God, what was I thinking. Basically I hadn't heard 'my' music yet, only my friends taste in it, hence the appalling selection above. This all changed when my best friend Lee bought this album and I listened to it in his bedroom. Quite simply it blew me away. This is the moment, a moment all music lovers have, which I can point to and say 'there, it all started there'. I could bore you with a long list of namechecked bands but I won't, suffice to say that this album and this band led me to exciting new places.

The music itself? Well, I understand that it has just been re-issued and re-mastered which says a lot in itself. It still sounds great, perfect pop underneath a torrent of guitar and drums, fresh as ever, youth captured and held. It deserves its standing as one of the finest debut albums of recent times. What else is there to say but buy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Demon - vinyl 2014 reissue - sloppy quality control for such an expensive disc, 27 Aug 2014
N. Mcalister - See all my reviews
This review is from: Psychocandy [VINYL] (Vinyl)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ominous beauty, 22 July 2007
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Inspired by The Velvet Underground and perhaps also The Cure, The J&M Chain made feedback and distortion an integral part of their wall of sound, creating a unique and distinctive niche in rock music. It was in the way they did it - the distortion never sounds intrusive or discordant but complements the detached vocals for a cohesive music of eerie beauty.

In this crucial way the music differs from most of the output of the industrial genre, in that it has a trance-like, hypnotic quality. My favorite tracks on this seminal album include Just Like Honey, The Living End, The Hardest Walk, Sowing Seeds, My Little Underground and the sublime You Trip Me Up, a poignant blend of the tender and the ominous.

Psychocandy is a successful experiment in blending feedback with melody, creating atmospheric and always tuneful soundscapes that linger in the mind. Those who like Mercury Rev or My Bloody Valentine will love this classic album which takes rock music to places it's never been before.

1.0 out of 5 stars I love the Mary Chain and this album is one of ..., 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: Psychocandy [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The review isn't for the music, I love the Mary Chain and this album is one of my all time favourites. The poor rating is down to the state of the vinyl that was supplied - covered in smears and fingerprints and one side had about 4 deep scratches on it. Returned with no hassle, but just disappointed in the whole experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars don't read, get and listen!, 3 Dec 2008
As a 14 year old at school seeing the Mary Chain do 'In a Hole' on BBC2's Whistle Test in early 1985 was the starting point for a journey into alternative culture for me, a journey that continues to this day.

It's hard to describe how crap music was in 1985, even the independent scene was living on the fag ends of punk, then came this...quite simply one of the most original records ever recorded.

I'll always remember playing my school mates-who at the time were big fans of Phil Collins, Tears for Fears and Frankie Goes to Hollywood- 'You Trip Me Up', and trying to convince them the feedback soaked melodies sounded like a top ten hit!

Thank you Jim, William, Douglas and Bobby you saved my life!

BUY THIS RECORD!

5.0 out of 5 stars still great, 23 Feb 2009
It's 1985 and me, a callow youth, vaguely into The Smiths and my elder brother's Jam records, reads about the next big thing in the NME, the Jesus and Mary Chain. Great name, thought I, but will they be any good? Heralded as the second coming of the Sex Pistols (testimony, surely, to how poor the music press are at describing music) and billed as noise merchants and instigators of riots at gigs, I finally got to hear them on Radio One. Paul Weller, of the aforementioned Jam, describing them as "a storm in a teacup." Beneath the coruscating feedback was a definite melody though - and some rather horizontal lyrics about having a hangover. Later that year, the Mary Chain released one of the greatest albums of all time, which stills sounds fresh today and still sounds like nothing on earth. It's decadent music, really - they take the classic bubblegum pop and drumbeat of Phil Spectre and decay it with Stooges style guitars or just noise. My memories of playing this record are of my mum rushing upstairs to ask me what was wrong. "Is that record faulty? Is my washing machine interfering with it?" Personal highlights: Taste of Cindy, It's So Hard and Something's Wrong (with a melody adapted from Wondrous Stories by Yes.)
One regrettable off shoot of the album was the formation of the Mary Chain's very own real tribute band, the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. At the time though, fans of the band could explore not only Spectre and the Shangri-Las but music from the late 60s, early 70s era that punk had put out of fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great package, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: Psychocandy (Audio CD)
Memories came flooding back - the music and the experience of the early gigs. If you're a fan, you've probably got most of this in different places, but it's great to have decent copies of it all. I thoroughly recommend this, the J&MC's finest hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars play LOUDLY, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: Psychocandy (Audio CD)
Better sound with this release, louder, maybe compressed?

I would have preferred the lp on its own on disc one, with the b-sides on the bonus disc instead of the demos which I don't really care for

At least Some Candy Talking has been rightfully removed

Glorious

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing album number 1, 27 Aug 2007
Paul Wilson (uk) - See all my reviews
1985 and i just bought upside down(which sadly doesnt feature on this album,maybe because murray dalglish is on drums)i thought this is incredible so when this finally came out later in the year i was straight there to get this the day it came out and i can still see why i got excited/this is quite simply one of the best albums ever made(and certainly the best thing the vastly over rated bobby gillespie has ever done)right from the start with just like honey brooding setting the tone of pop song with an edge/pefectly welding melody with distortion and feedback/as on taste the floor and you trip me up to the subtler sowing seeds/i played this non stop when it came out and it still gets the occasional airing and i think it stands up well to the test of time/if you are new to the jamc get this or barbed wire kisses as everything else from darklands and onwards is sadly a complete waste of time/they should have given up after this and left a legacy of having made one of the most influential guitar albums of all time

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 17 Mar 2008
Ø. Hjartnes (Bergen, NO) - See all my reviews
Influenced by the guitar sound of The Stooges and The Velvet Undeground-like vocals the Reid brothers made this stunning record and so they set the bar for Noise pop and indie-rock to come. I have yet to come over anything more original and stunning than this from it's genre.

Psychocandy
Psychocandy by Jesus & Mary Chain (Audio CD - 2011)