5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, well worth buying, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Hardboiled Web Design (Paperback)
As soon as I heard about this book being published, I pre-ordered it via Amazon.

I was one of those (as Andy Clarke mentions) who has their order cancelled by Amazon. What gives? I thought, and contacted @Malarkey on Twitter to find out how else to buy it.

A quick direct response (thank you!), and I scurried off to the (beautifully designed - naturally) website that accompanies the book. Order placed, excitement high.

Christmas Eve (joy!) and Hardboiled Web Design finally smacks through the letterbox. For a book, it's a ruddy thick box - and no wasted space - it's all book. The packaging and exterior labels are quite gorgeous in their own right.

As to the book? It's wonderful. The paper stock, typography, layout, colour production are all perfect.

As to the content? It's an (and I hope I won't offend the author here, I mean it as a compliment) incremental revelation, a web development revolution. It gives us designers and developers the backing to push forward with principles such as progressive enhancement and graceful degradation - but from the point of view that differences in browsing (and browser capabilities) should be celebrated - not shamed.

That's what 'hardboiled' is all about - giving the tools and techniques to push forward with the new web standards, ensuring that our work can be viewed across *all* browsers, even if that work looks radically (and intentionally) different from one browser to the next.

If you design or develop web content in any capacity, then this book is a must-have.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sure classic, 25 Jan 2011
S. Rafiq "Its all good" (Blackburn, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hardboiled Web Design (Paperback)
I was initially dismayed that Amazon had not informed us that they would not be shipping this book - even though I was on the e-mail list I did not receive anything to inform me of this. Come on Amazon.

Glad that I read the other reviews and discovered this book is only available directly from the publisher.

The book itself is wonderful, so well designed and thought out. I'll be making well use of the techniques on its pages. While I am not a professional web developer I always use the latest CSS and XHTML techniques to develop the sites of the few people who hire me.

Well worth buying this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be part of every web designer's library, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Hardboiled Web Design (Kindle Edition)
Not sure why other people had problems with delivery from Amazon, but I got mine okay.

Most UK-based web designers who keep abreast of current trends will have heard of Andy Clarke. He's big on responsive web design, by which we mean the creation of a single website that adapts to different devices - phones, tablets, computers etc. - based on the screen size.

Before responsive design rose to the fore, you'd often find a website would have two or more virtually independent sets of code, each one to suit a particular screen size. You'd also find that there was an almost paranoid attempt to make the website look exactly the same on all browsers and all devices, which means that you're often designing to the lowest common denominator, ignoring the rich facilities CSS3 and HTML5 has to offer.

Andy Clarke leads the way in pouring cold water on that situation. Instead, he argues, a website should look as good as it can on modern browsers and should degrade gracefully on lesser ones. Likewise with screen sizes on different devices: design first for the smallest screen and progressively enhance a site as the screen gets larger.

Furthermore, do all this with one set of code, making judicious use of media queries and Javascript libraries to create a truly responsive website.

"Hardboiled Web Design" explains that process in depth. It is an attractive and well put together book and should be a part of any web designer's library. Beware, though - responsive web design is evolving all the time and even a book as good as this can quickly become dated. It is, however, a great book to start with if you have little or no experience of responsive web design.

Note that it is not a beginner's book on CSS and HTML. You need a working knowledge of those things to get the best out of this book.

ARRAY(0xa02514e0)