5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite web design book of the year, 4 Jun 2009
Mr. Guy D. Carberry "Guy Carberry" (Buckingham, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Mark Boulton's Five Simple Steps: A practical guide to designing for the web has to be my favourite web design book of the year. One of the many things I really love about it is the personalised anecdotal style applied throughout. It's the kind of book that will age gracefully as it doesn't dwell too much on current trends or techniques, supplementing them with solid age-old design theory from someone who has had formal training in typography, layout and colour theory.

Mark illustrates each of his points with a case study from his own vast portfolio and other examples from the web and print. Be it the enormous task of redesigning the Drupal community or the De Standard newspaper websites to the time he spent designing endless tables of printed data in his early career. The book has bags of personality and really does fill a void in my bookcase that has been begging to be filled for some years.

Mark self-published his book and the attention to detail cross the entire process shines through. The enclosed postcards show us that this is the first in a series of five simple steps books and the handwritten compliment slip really added to the whole experience. Even the box it was delivered in showed that ever ounce of the design had been poured over for unending hours. I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sex arrived through my letter box!, 23 Jun 2009
Darren Azzopardi (East Yorkshire, Hull) - See all my reviews
I had been waiting to get this book since it was announced via twitter, I visited the site regularly and looked at the pictures on its flickr account.

Don't judge a book by its cover-that saying is a load of tosh. Looking at the front cover you know it's going to be interesting. The design is just sexy, simple, but gosh I do like it.

Waiting for this book felt like an eternity. For coincidence the book arrived the same day my second daughter was born. I had to travel back to collect some clothes. As I opened the door I felt the resistance of the book on the mat. I slowly opened it. Like a holy grail or some other sacred artifact I could hear a choir in the background and a golden halo appear as I held it up. The thing was I couldn't read it until the baby saga had ended and we got into a routine. The tension was building inside.

Any way...

I have no graphic design training at all but over the years the same factors came popping up. Typography, grids, golden section, colour theory, to name but a few. I personally needed to understand these elements, back to basics as it where.

This is where I feel this book is vital. You can search the net for tutorials and articles on these subjects but what I needed was a reference, a source I know that has good foundation. This is it.

The book gives you a look into what a web designer has to consider, and informs you on the techniques to achieve it.

I love that the book has armed with specific areas to get better in, so in a way a new journey for me begins.

You won't be disappointed by this book...