1,536 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes
Published on 3 Dec 2011 by Avery Greaves

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible book, very annoying main character! !
What a load of rubbish. Thank god I didn't pay for this! Rose is so annoying I just wanted to pull her from the pages and smack some sense into her! She is so drippy and totally got on my nerves when she said 'crappy doodles' all the time! Terrible predictive plot and there is no way Joe would fall for someone as dense as Rose in real life!
Will definitely NOT be...
Published 4 months ago by The Baking Mama

4.0 out of 5 stars Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, 3 Dec 2011
This review is from: Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes (Rose Gardner Mystery, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Rose is by far one of the most interesting characters I have read of in quite some time. I love that she didn't let herself be dragged down by her history, as many characters would had they been in her position, she always had such a positive outlook on life. Also, she is the sort of character you cannot help but root for and want to befriend in the hopes that some of her positivity will rub off on you. Furthermore, I very much appreciated that Denise was able to give us Rose's history in little bit and pieces (from all sorts of characters, like her sister, aunt, etc.) as opposed to more large information dump- it just made the book flow so much more naturally and made everything seem so much more real.

It becomes evident as you read the book that Denise doesn't dilly-dally in her writing, that she writes everything with a purpose, which, too, makes the book flow all the more naturally and makes it a literal page-turner- keeping you engaged (and on the edge of your seat) the entire time while reading it.

However, I must admit that the ending did throw me off a bit. I just felt that so much happened in the last bit of the book that I had a hard time keeping track of everything. When I thought the storyline was going in one direction it would go in the complete opposite therefore resulting in me having to reread a bit of the end (but this could have totally been my fault since I literally read this book in one sitting and therefore was most likely tired/ past the point of comprehension by the time I came to the end).

All in all, I highly recommend this book to those looking for a funnier read, albeit a funnier read with quite a bit of action. I cannot tell you how many times I burst out in laughter while reading this book. Also, I challenge you to not start talking in a Southern accent after finishing this book, with all of the characters constantly dropping their "g's" and saying things like "crappy doodles".

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Living, 18 Sep 2014
This series must be read in order. This is the first book.

Rose has spent her whole life under her mother's thumb. She allows her mother to denigrate and boss her until she is nothing but a shell. Momma says when she gets up and what she does no matter the day or the hour. Rose is a doormat and the perfect child no matter if she is in her mother's presence or not. She does not drink and cannot fathom kissing a boy. She is boring and dutiful. Her visions plague her life and everyone pretty much avoids her. No one ever has taken the slightest interest in her except her sister Violet. And her deceased father. She is too odd for people to accept.

That all changes when Joe moves in next door. She can't help herself and speaks up when Momma calls him a no good Yankee. This marks the beginning of the end of her dutiful daughter role. For some reason Joe sparks something irrepressible within Rose that causes her to rebel. So what if she has visions? She is NOT possessed! She is a grown woman and she is sick of being the dutiful daughter! Thus sparks an argument between Rose and Momma and Rose storms off to carve out some sort of life for herself. She even makes a list of wishes for her life on the back of a Walmart receipt. Things she has never done... Like kiss man and dance. Trying to take her life into her own hands will change her more than she can fathom! Will she survive? Who is Joe and what does he want?

Full of mystery and intrigue this mildly paranormal romantic comedy will suck you in and leave you addicted. The thrills and confusion of not knowing who to trust keep you on your toes as you wonder if Rose will be able to escape her visions. Her avoidance of her gifts makes their true meaning hazy and uncertain. This book definitely hooked me and I can't wait to see what Rose will get up to in the next one Twenty-Nine and a Half Reasons (Rose Gardner Mystery Book 2)!

***This series is suitable for adult readers due to some sexual content and themes of abuse both physical and emotional

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read for a great price, 20 July 2011
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is not the usual kind of book I would pick up but when the book was offered to me to review there was something that intrigued me about the storyline mainly to do with our main character Rose who has visions which has always been of interest to me. The book gets off to a great start and a fast pace with the first line of the book "It all started when I saw myself dead" .I think this line is going to stick in my mind for a long time as I have never read any kind of book which starts in this way and it certainly had me gripped.

Our main character in this book is Rose who I took an instant like to. She seems quirky and innocent in her ways which I think is mainly due to the sheltered life she has lived. I loved the fact that I found her funny without her even trying which only made her character more likeable. There seemed to be so much in life she had missed out on which only left me rooting for her to tackle all the things she wants to do in life.

I also really enjoyed the character of the next door neighbour Joe. We know he is keeping secrets which only make his character more mysterious and intriguing. Even though I couldn't work out if he was a good guy or a bad guy I still found his character so likeable. I enjoyed the relationship between the two characters.

The storyline to this book is so intense there is just something happening all the time which meant I couldn't put it down as I needed to know what was going to happen next. What I enjoyed most about this book was the suspense factor. I kept chopping and changing my mind with what I thought was going to happen and all in all I was wrong! Just as I thought the story was starting to wrap up something else would happen so to say I was then on the edge of my seat is a slight understatement!

There is such a mix to this book so there is definitely something for everyone in this book. Action, romance, suspense and even a splash of humour. I truly think this book would make for a great film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very good, 13 May 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I was entombed by it for a couple of days. Couldn't put it down in the evening and so got to bed far too late. My grogginess for work the next day is the only negative!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read!, 17 Oct 2013
First book i've read by the author and I must say I am very impressed! Took me less than a day to read it and it is very well written.
Very funny and kept me entertained throughout!
Download you will not be disappointed!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible book, very annoying main character! !, 17 Aug 2014
Will definitely NOT be reading the sequels unless I need a good laugh one day!!

2.0 out of 5 stars it was like she had verbal diarrhea, 13 July 2014
Oh My!
Having read the reviews I thought it was worth a shot especially as it was a freebie. I don't mean to sound horrid but I gave up less than half way through, the writing was awful, it was like she had verbal diarrhea. I was under the impression that it would be a real picker upper, it started well but turned to drivel. Sorry!

3.0 out of 5 stars a good holiday read, 26 April 2014
A good read with a few twists and turns and a bit of humour throughout. Really liked Rose. The way she handled everything with humour

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 19 April 2014
JoGregs (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
The story flows quite nicely and offers comedy, romance and drama. It did get a little frustrating towards the end with the 'mystery' of Joe becoming a little tedious but otherwise, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not something I usually read, 25 Mar 2014
Kept me guessing from the start, I like how rose developed as the story went on and how when in difficult situations she didn't 'wuss' out like some of the main female characters in the book.
I have to admit I didn't see something's coming, I had a niggle but I didn't know for sure, which made this a refreshing read.
I won't hesitate to buy the rest of the books as I can't wait to find out what happens with Rose and Joe (or not Joe, hopefully we'll find out the name in number 2)
I suggest if you want a change of scenery in your literature then pick this book up and have a read. I'm so glad I did.
On to number 2.......... :)