5.0 out of 5 stars This is so good.
Published on 6 July 2011 by I bite

3.0 out of 5 stars not again!!
The story is ok and decently written, but severely lacks invention. There is a formula that a lot of American authors use when writing novels and I feel like I,ve read this book before because of it. The formula is as follows..

Published on 25 Jan. 2012 by P. Winthrop

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so good., 6 July 2011
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Kindle Edition)
My first taste of a Kindle book and, wow, this one blew me away. Fred Limberg puts together a story as carefully as a brain surgeon, wielding words like a laser scapel, sharp, insightful and pin-point accurate. The prose is a joy to read and the plot builds like the layers of a well-constructed pyramid. And don't think the apostrophe in the title is misplaced; it's not, as becomes apparent as the story unfolds. It's a variation of the stranger-comes-to-town genre. Ace soon falls foul of the town's 'Boss-hog' and soon uncovers enough hidden chicanery, murder and greed to satisfy the most ardent thrill-seeker. Ace puts himself on the line bringing his past to town with a final satisfying scene where good whups evil.
Great characters in Ace, Annie and Leets, great action throughout, keeping the reader glued to the screen. Love and tenderness has a place too with two wounded souls finding each other in the mayhem of a small town in Arkansas. At the price, you get much more of a bang for less than a buck. Buy it, read it, love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, great little town, 19 Aug. 2011
Ms. G. van der Rol "Greta van der Rol" (Queensland, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Kindle Edition)
This is a terrific read from the get-go. Ace stops in a quiet little town and starts to meet the locals - and immediately we realise he's a man with a past. I won't repeat the blurb - it's up there. The characterisation in this story is terrific. Even the little town has character. You can relate to these folks, you may have met some in the quirky back blocks of your life.

This a great read - and the love story woven into it adds to the flavour. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time well spent in Ferris' Bluff, 27 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Kindle Edition)
I've been living in Ferris' Bluff for a couple of days - at least, that's what it's felt like as I've been reading the book. The sense of place is beautifully established, as are the characters who inhabit it. At the centre is Ace Evans, and the other members of the cast are introduced in quick succession in the opening chapters. The author sketches them quickly through description but mainly through their actions and the way they speak. On the surface we have the indicators of how they all relate to one another, then there are the hints and undercurrents that are so inescapable in small-town life, but this closed atmosphere it never becomes oppressive or claustrophobic. Despite the fact that one focus of the action is a care home for older people, the book has a warmth and humanity which is very affirmative.

It is against this background that we gradually learn of a bigger, as yet unspecified threat which hangs over Ace. There is something of Lee Child's Jack Reacher about him - a loner who must keep moving to avoid being identified. The difference here is that Ace begins to regret that he must move on. As he meets more people and learns more about Ferris' Bluff and its own secrets, the various threads of the story are brought together into a central narrative drive. The pace never slackens, but it still manages to accommodate occasional violent episodes and their antithesis - those warmer, `sitting on the porch with a beer' moments.

It has humour, pace, action, great characters, warmth, and an artlessness that is very deceptive. A lot of thought has gone into its structuring and creation and it works as all good books do - by charming you, drawing you into its realities and making you want to know (but more, importantly, care about) what happens next. A highly entertaining and absorbing read, thoroughly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars not again!!, 25 Jan. 2012
P. Winthrop "museic" (morecambe, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Kindle Edition)

1) The lead character is any one of the following.. a retired cop, CIA agent or armed forces ( preferably the Navy Seals to give a bit more grit )
2) He has baggage.. a recently lost/ murdered wife, bad guys on his trail, dismissed from his last job because of another bad guy etc 3) He somehow arrives at a small US town
4) He meets the local good looking girl who is a) single but dating the local bad guy or b) married to the local bad guy. He always gets the girl though.
5) He has a run in with the bad boy locals
6) The local police blame him
7) The trouble escalates and his past is under threat of being exposed
8) He beats the bad guys but suffers wounds
9) a) he lives happy ever after with the cute girl b) the cute girl is killed in the trouble and he drifts on forever

Read it before ? read it again here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Best, 23 July 2011
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Kindle Edition)
Step aside all you run-of-the-mill thriller writers and pretenders - Fred Limberg just rode into town. Quick, slick and and joy to read; crafty, well-crafted and with the frisson of the unexpected, Ferris' Bluff is, without a doubt, the best thing I've read in a good long while. 'Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really well written, similar ish to Lee Childs, 22 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Kindle Edition)
I am really really enjoying this free kindle book - many I try are not well written with rubbishy plots,and I give up after a few pages. This gripped me from the start, I'm meant to be cleaning up today but keep thinking about it and want to finish it today - I just know I will!

Ace is a very attractive charactor and does remind me a little of Jack Reacher, but I like him more, and love all the interaction with other charactors he meets in the little isolated town in Arkansas. There is a really good thriller type story going on, and a little romance just hinted at.

You get to know quite a few of the towns' residents and he makes them so real that you care about what happens to them. I will now search out and read more of this authors books and would happily have paid for this one. Lovely to find a new author (to me) that I enjoy so much. Thats what I love about Kindle, I may never have tried Fred Limbergs books otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars watch your back Harlan Coben, 23 July 2011
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Kindle Edition)
Enough mystery and thrills to satisfy the most jaded thriller fan. Coupled with a beautifully developed love story that doesn't overpower the main theme but compliments it brilliantly, Ferris' Bluff is one of the most tautly written, cleverly crafted books in this genre that I've read in a long while.Definitely worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars P.Winthrop has a point, but the book is worth a read nevertheless, 10 Mar. 2012
P. Evans - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Kindle Edition)
P.Winthrop has a point with the remarks he makes in his review, but I would contend that this book is worth a read nevertheless. The characterisation is good, the plot, the grammar, and the formatting too. I enjoyed it and found it to be a bit of a 'page turner' (so much so that I was reading it in my doctor's waiting room and was disappointed when my name was called right in the middle of a gripping scene!)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., 21 April 2014
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Kindle Edition)
I liked his other ones but this left me cold and uninterested just could not get into it. Maybe to many characters?

5.0 out of 5 stars A THRILLING READ, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good read. it kept me enthralled right to the end.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›