5.0 out of 5 stars Good lens but check out the alternatives.
In the interest of clarity I'm writing this mainly to correct a couple of product details that Amazon seem to constantly and annoyingly misdescribe on many items.

Published 11 months ago by brianf

3.0 out of 5 stars A good lens with lots of little problems
Having read up a lot about which macro lens to get and having tried them all out I knew the Canon 100mm macro f2.8L was the right lens. Unfortunately it's out of my price rage so I went with the Sigma 105mm instead.

The lens is well build and feels very solid in hand, the focus is smooth and has just the right amount of resistance for me, the switches are a...
Published 6 days ago by Lucas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good lens but check out the alternatives., 21 Aug 2013
brianf (Paisley, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens Canon DSLR Cameras (Electronics)

The lens weighs approx 750g (not 1.1 kg). This weight is without the hood (of which there are 2, one wide and one narrow) which can be used individually or joined together each 4.5cm long). The lens is 12.7cm long by 7.9cm diameter (but I have no idea what the dimension "321.1" quoted above by Amazon means).
The minimum focus I've found to be between roughly 13cm (manual) and 14 cm (AF) from the lens face, so I'm assuming the "Focus Limiter Switch" settings on the lens (position 0.312 to 0.45m) equates somehow to the overall distance from object to camera sensor. I've found the width of an image captured at this close range to be 22mm (M) and 23mm (AF) (I'm using a Nikon D7100 which has a DX sensor) which agree the manufacture specs of a 1:1 reproduction ratio (DX sensor = 22.5mm x 15mm). Also AF tends "unsurprisingly" to hunt in this close range working under room light conditions but works fast and decisively in both daylight and when the subject is further away from the lens under the same low lighting conditions. I think this primarily because the AF assisted light is shaded by the long lens length and unable to illuminate close-up objects.
The optical stabilization I think is not as quiet as Nikon's VR system (e.g, the 16-35mm), although it is still quiet and you need to listen out for it but it sound that it has system is slowly spooling up over 4 to 5 seconds.

Lastly these optics give excellent image quality (IQ), and after some scrutinizing pixel peeking on my images produced so far, both macro and general photography, I really struggle to find any significant signs of chromatic aberration. To summarize this is a good lens and I can't fault it but I bought this when Sigma-Imaging were having a 100 cashback so it seems a good buy at the time for just over 460 (minus the 100). Had it not been for the promotion I would have opted for the Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras which has better reviews and won several awards and is priced without any cashback gimmick at about 360.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant lens and cheaper than the Canon, 29 Nov 2013
This lens is simply brilliant. It's super sharp and produces excellent pictures. I shot some of my best pictures with this nice piece of glass.
Apart from using it as a macro lens, it's really good for portraits and as a general medium range lens, if you are into prime lenses.
The stabilizer works like a charm and you can easily take shots handheld at a lower shutter speed and still get sharp pictures.
I also tried the Canon stabilized version, and although it's slightly better, the difference is so small that it doesn't justify the higher price of the Canon version.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Lens, 31 July 2013
Well pleased with this Lens. It's quite heavy, but the results are worth it.Apart from a great macro lens it takes great portraits too

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 105 macro, 29 Jan 2013
This is an absolutely brilliant lens, I have done some hand held but mainly a monopod, all have worked well even outside in this dull weather,

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma lens, 5 Nov 2013
Excellent lens. Bought this on recommendation of photographic magazine test which put it firmly ahead of the equivalent Canon lens. Not disappointed especially as price was lower than anywhere else!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 26 July 2013
What a great lens. It compares well to the Canon 100mm macro L lens that my son bought but quite a bit cheaper.
Excellent build quality with a very well made carry case.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 10 May 2013
I don't own this lens, I borrowed it off a friend for about 6 months, and it's now on my shopping list for when I can afford another lens. It is fabulous though. Macro shots are stunning. I usually have a Canon 16-35mm L lens on my camera, as I mainly do landscapes. And I have a hard time seeing any less quality in this lens than that one. I know Canon has the equivalent lens, but I'm going to go with the Sigma one as can't fault it, and a much easier price tag to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars manic lens, 25 Feb 2014
I spent a long time looking at the reviews of these macro lenses before plumbing for this one , and I'm so glad I did , the image quality is supurb and I am able to Keep a good distance away from the subject with my crop sensor camera . if you are thinking of buying this lens go for it you will not regret it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Lens, 23 Jan 2014
I was told that this was a good lens and am not disappointed. Better than the Cannon and cheaper. Brill!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens Canon, 12 Jan 2014
Excelent quality, very good built. Excellent results, a "must have" surely. Great lens from Sigma. I am very pleased with it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›