5.0 out of 5 stars Thank Goodness

Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank Goodness, 6 Mar 2012
I. Buchanan (Northeast Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilmore Girls - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD] (DVD)
With E4 showing these back-to-back for the last few years, my wife and I got used to recording them in the morning and watching them over lunch. When they suddenly stopped broadcasting them ... we felt bereft. So ... I purchased the Amazon special complete set at this extremely reasonable price, and now we can have our normal lunchtime habit again - with the added bonus of not having to fast-forward through the adverts! You well think we are rather sad but the truth is this show is simply first class drama/comedy, with acting way beyond what you would normally expect from a long-running tv show. When I retired and found my wife recording and watching this show, I just dismissed it as a "girly" thing, but couldn't ignore it and quickly became "captured" by the excellent acting, clever characterisation and feast of droll one-liners. I'd recommend it to anyone who just wants to be entertained .....

5.0 out of 5 stars welcome to The stars Hollow experience !!, 3 Sep 2011
This show has it all
drama comedy love laughter
family
together this dvd box set Introuduce's a whole load of faces
you will grow and love -
its amazing
Meet the Gilmore Girls
you are about to embark on a new Journey
comedy , Drama romance .Lorelai and Rory Gilmore aren't just mother and daughter, they're best friends ....
But as Rory's attention turns to thoughts of boys and adolescent self-reliance, 32-year-old Lorelai begins noticing more of her own rebellious youth--only 16 years ago--in Rory.
an amazing show
for all no matter how old or young !! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Girls, 21 April 2013
Ms. Nancy Buckland "foxymissb" (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilmore Girls - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD] (DVD)
I fell in love with Lorelai and Rory Gilmore at first sight. The closeness of their mother-daughter relationship is the central theme of the show that covers every emotion. Most of all, though, the dialogue is simply superb and the cast as a whole are impressive. The show is set in Stars Hollow, a fictional all-American town that is home for the Gilmore Girls. You can't help but enjoy the friendships with the locals and the romantic entanglements that often ensue. The fly in the ointment, which is hugely entertaining, is Lorelai's strained relationship with her very upmarket parents, Richard and Emily Gilmore. Lorelai and Emily's fallouts are complex and prove that all in a family's garden isn't always rosy. However, as the series progresses there are times when the family pull together and these moments are engaging and special. The best scenes, however, are reserved for when it is just the two Gilmore Girls together, kicking up a storm and sharing their journeys, often in Luke's Diner, a central part of the show and the favourite Stars Hollow hangout. I watched this series from start to finish with my own mum, and it touched our hearts. It is compelling without being sentimental, and the wit and wisdom of the characters never fails to keep you watching. A box set in a million.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gilmore Girls is fantastic, 13 Jan 2011
M. Newton (London, UK) - See all my reviews
By the end of each series I felt privileged to have entered the world of the Gilmore Girls. Simply fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking writing - more coffee anyone?, 7 Oct 2008
T. J. Farrell "Tim" (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
It is not often that a TV series leaves you feeling grateful. The Gilmore Girls however is such a fabulous, and rather unique series, that it's wonderful to have shared the lives of such a delightful group of people. The town of Stars Hollow has the most eclectic cast of characters in it, and you'll quickly love every single one of them. The eponymous Gilmore Girls - mother Lorelai - played by the fabulous Lauren Graham - and daughter Rory - Alexis Bledel - lead you through a roller-coaster ride of breath-taking paced and very funny dialogue (who talks that fast!). Seven seasons are nowhere near enough. Watch this gem of a collection. I promise you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed that the later seasons are not in widescreen as were originally broadcast, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Gilmore Girls - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this box set for my wife as a gift, and although she didn't seem to mind, I was disappointed and rather baffled to find out that the later seasons - which were broadcast in widescreen - are in 4x3 here. Looking on the packaging some seasons state they are 4x3 and some 16x9, but upon checking everything is 4x3, therefore cutting the left and right side of the picture off. Very poor and surely unnecessary...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gilmore Girls - Stars one and all., 11 July 2014
This review is from: Gilmore Girls - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD] (DVD)
The best entertainment to chill out to. I cannot stop watching this box set ever since the day I bought it. I think The Gilmore Girls is the most brilliant series of family entertainment ever made. I remember that I used to watch these series on television some years ago but I never focused on them because I kept missing shows, so I wasn't following the stories fully. I then tried to record the shows but ended up missing the odd ones or the start of a series so I decided to buy the box set. Now that I have bought the box set I just keep playing it back to back. My box set is not in widescreen but I bet I would purchase it again if it does come out in widescreen.

I think all the characters are excellent actors and they portrayed their part with confidence and conviction. The episodes are just so well done that they absolutely capture your attention. You are always informed of the happenings in Stars Hallow. Such a small town yet so much to do and enjoy - you would expect the towns people to be bored from not having much to do but that's just not the case.

I really enjoy watching the journey of Lorali's and Rory's journey through life - their hopes and dreams - romances - fears and decisions and achievements. The organisers could not have selected a better cast for this exceptional family show. I think this show should have gone another three series at least. This is definitely one not to miss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Coffee coffee coffee!!!, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Gilmore Girls - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD] (DVD)
Great show! It was nice to review the whole series and be touched by these girls all over again. Some great extras and interviews too. Fans will love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars TV brilliance, 11 May 2013
Stuart Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilmore Girls - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD] (DVD)
Well, that's what a week in bed with flu will lead to, a crazy mad addiction to a series I probably would sight unseen have dismissed as "gurly" but which instead contains some of the funniest comic writing of the last televisual decade and some of the best all woman backchat since the days of Carole Lombard and Rosalind Russell. Strangely cool taste in music too.
How, however, the two leads maintain their wonderfully neat figures on a diet of massive takeaways, diner food and no visible form of exercise is perhaps the purest form of female wish-fulfilment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The joy is still there, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gilmore Girls - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD] (DVD)
Me and my big sister used to everyday watch this show and loved it. That was nine years ago and now that I am 15 years old, I started to watch it weekdays in the school holidays at 1pm on 5* because I remember watching it when I was a kid. However, this meant that I couldn't watch it during term time so holidays was a massive treat for me, whilst school was a 6 week wait. Not to have days off school, but to watch Gilmore Girls! I planned on buying the box set for months but could never discipline myself to save the money. Then my beloved mum surprised me with what was, and still is, 153 episodes of pure humor, relaxation and hours happily spent having this 5 star comedy make my day! Now, although my sister no longer shares the same passion for this show as I do, I feel as though I still hold the joy which I had nine years ago. This is proof that the show is for all ages, and will make any wanting-to-be-entertained person feel satisfied. Go ahead...buy it, You won't regret it. I know I didn't.

Gilmore Girls - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD]
Gilmore Girls - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD] by Lauren Graham (DVD - 2011)