4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but still packed with stuff to love
The scenes are colourful, the dialogue is spot on, the characters are memorable and engaging and the graphics and sound are superb on every level. These are the good points, showing that Insomniac games can still make a polished product that is engaging and freakishly fun to play.

The writing is a flash back to the PS2 days of the franchise, with jokes and...
Published on 3 Nov 2011 by Bl Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Ratchet and Clank fans will be disappointed.
Back in 2004, I was introduced to Ratchet and Clank whilst at a friend's house, and after borrowing the first game from this friend I ended up loving the series. To this day I own every single Ratchet and Clank game out there, including the PSP spin-offs. With that in mind, I'm hoping that people considering this product give my review some value.

I got Ratchet...
Published on 23 Sep 2012 by UDR

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but still packed with stuff to love, 3 Nov 2011
Bl Anderson (Sunderland, Tyne & Wear United Kingdom United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3) (Video Game)

The writing is a flash back to the PS2 days of the franchise, with jokes and dialogue that kids can giggle at but so tongue in cheek the older audiences will be left grinning from ear to ear as well - Quark being suddenly awoken at the start of the game screaming "She was taking a memo!" is a prime example of such an occurrence. Only a memo, Mr Quark?

Rater than my usual praise of 5/5 I hand out on silver platers to Ratchet and Clank games, I had to give it a lower score - 4/5. The reason why I, a rabid R&C fan (comics, figures, posters, t-shirts, games - why yes I am indeed lacking a female partner) have not given a 5/5 is as follows.

The big thing in recent years is to have multi-player in your game just because you can. Sadly, Insomniac have jumped on this fad like a pimp to a capri green suit. When on single player you cannot help be bored silly by all the areas within the game that calls for a Co-op partner to assist you. We all know that computer AI is not exactly stellar - its functional in this game but relying on your dopey AI partner for assistance in the heat of battle may not be the most wise choice. The entire game has co-op moments spread every 15feet - I realise that a co-op based game needs to cater to the co-op elements but All4One overdoes it to such a degree that it begins to grate on you. Oh look! Yet ANOTHER thing that requires two people shooting at it to kill it! The last time I ran into one was only *5 seconds ago*! Oh look! ANOTHER platform that requires two people to stand on it in order for the game to progress! This is ratchet and clank, the co-op elements should be within intense battle where there are so many enemies that 1 person alone cannot defeat them. Big buttons where two people need to stand on them at once does not qualify as "co-op". Its just two people and an oddly designed button. The heavy co-op focus also makes the game flow a little oddly. You play through the game as Ratchet on single player, yet in the cutscenes all 4 characters are there bantering about what just happened. I'm playing as Ratchet, so I get Clank as an AI partner - pretty sure I didn't see Quark and Dr Neffy running along side us. The game doesn't feel as tight knit as TOD, ACiT (etc.) so it feels a little sloppy and the immersion is broken slightly.

With all that said - its still damn good fun to play. You still get the same satisfaction of running headfirst into a sea of enemies with a weapon that can best be described as something Ratchet pulled out of a B&Q tool set. You still get the same glee of blowing up enemies with a gun that basically shoots bullets set on fire. Your jaw still goes a little slack at the sight of the beautifully crafted graphics and your thumbs still go numb from spending a good few hours mashing the fire and jump buttons.

Overall? Its a good game. Flawed, but good and worth the £40 I paid for it.

To compare it to the other R&C games for the PS3 can be summed up like so: Its no where near as good as A Crack in Time and Tools of Destruction, its on the same level as Quest for Booty but with some rough edges that need refining.

All the games are going to a party - Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time arrive in chauffeured Limos wearing the finest silk suits and designer sunglasses, smoking imported cigars and sipping on bottles of Krug. Quest for Booty arrives in a Ferrari with a designer suit from House of Frasier, drinking fine Champaign. All4One arrives in a Ferrari and a designer suit just like Quest for Booty, but he forgot to shave and his tie is a little wonky.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, but still very enjoyable!, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3) (Video Game)
I have been a Ratchet and Clank fan for almost a decade, now, and I must say that this series continues to impress. I am exceedingly dissappointed in other long term fans and gamers for dismissing this game without even playing it, because of it's co-op-oriented gameplay. Don't you find it strange that gamers complain about installments in a series being too samey, only to react with more negativity when the developers try different things? Let me reiterate a few thoughts from a fellow fan- 'Discard your previous thoughts and expectations of the game. Sit down, play it, and absorb what is good about it without a mind determined to make the worst of it'

Despite the game being co-op oriented, there is still a single player mode which all can enjoy. The Ratchet series is famous for its colorful cast, beautifully realised worlds, detailed storylines and sense of humour. This game delivers all of that again, and more. What I found particularly entertaining about it was the introduction of many new and original mechanics, which greatly mixed up the core gameplay of running, shooting, and jumping around. The controls may take a bit of getting used to, but after a little while, you'll adjust and revel in elegantly executing button commands to get through each level; the next more diverse than the last! Though some may complain about the fixed camera, I didn't have much trouble with it- I actually found it more useful than having to wrangle with the right analog stick all the time!

The co-op mode is where the game gets even more fun. All of the mechanics, the use of weapons- practically every little detail in the gameplay is built around having a good game with your friends, family, or people online. For me, the game excels in both single and multiplayer. There isn't much more to be said other than 'It's fun!'

The storyline is 'lighter' in a way, than the other, darker 'future' series games, but I found it entertaining nonetheless. I would have wanted more cutscenes depicting the interactions of the four main characters, but that is a relatively small gripe.

Some may have gripes about the lack of weaponry/upgrades, the loss of a few old mechanics (such as having Clank on Ratchet's back, the gliding/jetting around etc), the inability to control the camera and so on, but to be honest, I had just as much fun with this title as the other Ratchet and Clank games I'm so fond of. It's different in quite a few ways, but that doesn't automatically mean, as a more long term Ratchet fan, that you're going to dislike it. So in conclusion- don't judge a book by it's cover, just sit back, relax, and open yourself to a new and unique Ratchet and Clank experience!

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Ratchet and Clank fans will be disappointed., 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3) (Video Game)

I got Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One a day after it was released, and ended up convincing two of my friends to play it through with me. We managed to get through it in around 8 hours, which I guess is an okay length for a £20-£30 game, but not for £40. After completing it, I thought it had been an acceptable game and only a slight disappointment to the series, but after a couple of months I attempted to revisit the game on my own. I couldn't even get through the first level, it was that bad. I then realised it was only because I shared the experience with friends that it was tolerable at all.

The gameplay is tedious and enemies will take a huge amount of time to kill unless you're all firing at the same one. There are several enemies throughout the game that cannot be defeated by your weapons, but only guided by your weapons into the water or off the battlefield. The visuals had to be downgraded to allow four players without a terrible frame rate, but even with things looking a bit crappier, the frame rate still grinds when heated battles are going on. In fact, the entire game is capped at 30FPS, whereas all other RaC games have been capped at 50 or 60FPS in the past.

The story is lackluster and the twist is just moronic, which was a hugely big let-down considering Crack in Time had a wonderful story. They've switched the slightly serious undertone for an even more cartoony and childish experience. The fact that Nefarious is still in the series after his almost certain death shows that the whole four-player thing isn't a good choice for a series with only three characters appearing regularly in the games (well, the Plumber wouldn't have a made a great fourth member anyway).

My biggest gripe with the game however (which may not be that big of a deal for most people) is that weapons cannot be upgraded through continued use. Now all you do is purchase three assorted upgrades at the vendors for bolts. That reminds me, you also don't buy ammo anymore, you get that stuff from ammo-refilling spots. The RYNO is also the worst that it's ever been but I guess now I'm just nitpicking.

Overall, a huge disappointment to an otherwise amazing series. I'd only recommend this game to the biggest of Ratchet and Clank fans who just want to keep up to date with the series, but I'm willing to bet all those people have already bought the game, so anyone reading this now should probably save themselves the £15 and buy something else worth your time, like a competent game... or a puppy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3) (Video Game)
Many say it is worse than former R&C. This might be partially true (ex the camera control is weaker), but the overall experience is still a blast. Great 3D platforming, awesome multiplayer, very nice graphics and fair replayability.
Recommended, especially to R&C fans ! If you have a buddy to play with offline, it is really GREAT.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment to all Hardcore Ratchet & Clank fans, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3) (Video Game)
Let me start by saying I am a HUGE fan of the Ratchet & Clank series, ever since the very first game that came out in November 2002 (which I played at a friend's house in 2003). I have always been excited for new releases and, up until now, have never been let down by any of the Ratchet & Clank games. Insomniac really let me down on this one though..

I was well aware that All 4 One was intended to be a co-op game, which is fair enough and is not the reason why the game let me down, as single player is still available. All the ingredients that make Ratchet & Clank games so compelling seem to have all been removed from All 4 One. For a start, one ridiculous feature is the inability to even rotate the camera. The right analog stick has been changed to the 'Quick Select' wheel and the triangle button is no longer used to select weapons but rather, uses the 'Swingshot', a gadget Ratchet & Clank fans will be very familiar with. The inability to rotate the camera angle confines you to a very linear, restricted path; you seem to lose all the fun of exploration of hidden areas that previous games in the franchise had. For the first time in any Ratchet & Clank game (I exclude 'Size Matters', 'Secret Agent Clank' and any other PSP games, as I have never owned a PSP and so haven't been able to play these), you cannot use the circle button to shoot! Instead, it is used for some hoover-like gadget called the 'Vac-U' which sucks up critters and can be used to break crates.

Weapon upgrades. From playing a significant amount of time, I noticed that my weapons don't seem to upgrade with frequent use, which has been in every single PlayStation console game (perhaps excluding the PSP ones?) since Ratchet & Clank 2 for the PS2. You are able to purchase upgrades such as increased ammo capacity, damage, etc. from the vendor, but it doesn't compare to the fun, enjoyment and genuine excitement you receive from upgrading a weapon whilst in the middle of an intense battle, say. Ammo is also restocked from 'Ammo Pads', which completely restock all your ammunition to maximum capacity; we don't get ammo crates anymore. Health is no longer numerical like it has been for some past few games, rather, you have 3 chevron-shaped health slots (this may increase later in the game) and then upon dying you seem to respawn a few seconds later in the same spot, providing your buddy (in my case for single-player, Clank) doesn't die.

It's fair enough that L1 doesn't use first-person view and instead is used to lock-on, as the game is designed for co-operative gameplay. What I don't like is the co-op shooting damage bonus, whereby shooting at large enemies whilst your buddy is also shooting them cause rings which expand and provide a massive damage boost when at maximum size. They are ugly and not pleasant to look at, regrettably, like most of the features in All 4 One, whose graphics I'd say are not even on a par with the original Ratchet & Clank for the PS2.

If I were designing co-operative gameplay, I'd look more on the side of Ratchet: Deadlocked (Gladiator in UK) co-operative gameplay, which was different, but still very fun. You still had the same great 3D environments like before and weren't restricted to a set path and were able to rotate the camera (although you couldn't leave your friend too far away or you'd both be killed by the Deadlock collar) to look around in split-screen. On a final, negative note, whatever happened to flying between planets (or through sectors as it were in 'A Crack In Time')? I seemed to get the impression that levels on this game are based on a very generic, level-based system like in the oldest console games, rather than the elegant planet-based system seen in all previous games.

Overall, I'd conclude by saying that generally, this game is a disappointment to any hardcore Ratchet & Clank such as myself. I was hugely excited by the release of the game and was actually more excited than not about co-op gameplay, as I thought it had great potential after playing games such Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked, as well as a similar split-screen type system for the Multiplayer in Ratchet & Clank 3. There was no need to change the controls around; keeping the old-school controls as well as R1 for shoot would've been fine and having a rotatable camera in either split or shared screen would've been more desirable. Quick Select? Should definitely still be triangle, then L1 and R1 for scrolling weapons. Weapons should be upgradable with frequent use; any additional modifications like extra ammo etc. could just be bought using raritanium, like in Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. Gameplay seems very repetitive. Wasted potential for what I'd hoped would be such a great game. I just hope all Ratchet & Clank games to come revert to the old-style gameplay, as Ratchet & Clank is a franchise I never want to see die. I suppose for such a great franchise I can forgive Insomniac for this slip, but seriously guys, give us the old gameplay we know and love back; it was epic and provided me with no end of hours of fun. Heck, even after I beat the game, maxed out every weapon and acquired all the gold bolts, I still went to go for a run around on challenge mode to farm as many bolts as I could without losing my x20 multiplier! :D

2.0 out of 5 stars Uh-oh ..., 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3) (Video Game)
Sorry to have to have to say this, but I think this is a bit of a franchise-destroying disaster. I have LOVED R&C games since the dawn of time, and each instalment has always taken things forward, so that for Crack In Time it all gelled perfectly - glittering graphics, absorbing gameplay, intuitive controls, the craziest weapons around, everything. And everything has taken two or three steps back here. OK, it's multiplayer, so I suppose (?) it has to be linear, but the graphics are so muddy it's almost not worth playing on an HD screen, and the controls are infuriating. It is quite fun with two or three pals blasting at everything in sight, but this rapidly palls and you keep wishing for the free-roving thrills of prior games. In single player mode, it's not much fun at all. So, this is an OK multi-player game that uses R&C characters, it is NOT a R&C game with multi capability added-on. I still return to Tools and Time regularly, and it's always almost as much fun as the first time. I can't see that happening with this. Still, I hope just enough of you buy it to ensure that the series will continue, but let's have a proper game next time !

2.0 out of 5 stars Ruined Ratchet & Clank, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3) (Video Game)
This game was terrible! Nothing like any of the other Ratchet & Clank games, and thats not a good thing! It just didn't feel like a ratchet & Clank game to me, it was really repetitive and boring, by about halfway through the story I couldn't wait to finish it just so that I didn't have to play it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great..., 24 Aug 2012
Daniel Baker (S. Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3) (Video Game)
now dont get me wrong, i am the biggest ratchet and clank fan, and Insomniac GameS for that matter, but i have to say this game does not meet their usually very high standards...

let me start from the beginning. the game is set largely on one planet, so people who have played the previous iterations of the ratchet and clank series and are used to plant hopping on a very regular basis are in for a a different experience this time around, but this is not to say that the environments don't vary very widely as you progress though the game. as for the game itself the story line is actually really good, quite interesting with certain twists and turns you dont expect, although a little too liner for my taste. theres no planet hopping (or place hopping as in this case) and doing things in the order that you like, its very much A leads to B leads to C with no deviation which i thought was a little restricting.

now then. moving on to the gameplay. This game, if you didnt know already, has a new gameplay mechanic to the previous iterations, in that you control one character (ratchet, clank, quark or nefarious) and you get a second, computer controlled (AI) character with you every step of the way. now the main idea behind this game is team work, every level, puzzle, switch, some boxes and even down to efficiently killing enemies is all based on teamwork between you and another. dont get me wrong, i think this is a great idea, in theory, as a one off and also on the proviso that you have an actual person to play with. i myself, and many of my friends who also play games, are solo gamers i rarely get time to play games so when i do its almost always by myself. no dont get me wrong i would love to be able to play alongside a real person in multiplayer games but the opportunity, sadly, never seems to arise, so my option is online (which is next to impossible if your working your way though the game) or the computer AI and this is one of the major let downs of the game.

so we've come to the 'what i would of changed' section of the review:

* very linear gameplay that can become stale quickly.
* camera is uncontrolable by the user (unlike previous ratchet games which i found hard to swallow) and can leave a lot to be desired some times.
* 2nd player computer AI leaves a lot to be desired, does stupid things often, and can make the game very annoying on times but has to be noted not the worst iv seen and has its 'good days'.
* controls have completely been changed from previous ratchets, so if your a veteran be prepared to re-learn the controls and die a lot in the process.
* weapons are ok, a small selection compared to previous games and most seem like an after thought.
* next to no replay value from my point of view, once the story is done, there just wanst enough to keep me interested a second time around.

so to summarise, i think this is a decent game, definitely worth getting if your a massive ratchet fan like me but dont expect it to be of that same calibre of the previous games because it doesnt really come close. beautiful visuals, voice acting and animation, original character great gameplay features just a little let down by some basic flaws. online mode is fun, for a while but is basically the offline game, played with people over the internet, nothing really new.

hope this review has helped, definitely worth the £15 it is now just for a casual play but if bought at £30 - £40 like i did may leave you feeling a tad ripped off for a rushed game...

5.0 out of 5 stars Even funnier than the last episodes!, 22 Feb 2012
It's now been 2 months I had the game and I have to say it is not better
than the other chapters, it's DIFFERENT. What I found really fun about this
game is that the characters speaking are always FUNNY,the ATTACK AFFECTS are
improved by the slow motion kills (extrordinary!), and the co-op mode nearly
sometimes transforming the game into little big planet. One of the things
Ratchet and clanks lover will be dissapointed with will be the VIEW, you can't
look wherever you want to look, it will take about one hour to get used to
the buttons. I advise anyone reading this review to buy it.
An excellent game turning out to be a humoristic game. I'm very happy of my choosing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multiplayer family fun, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3) (Video Game)
After having played the other PS3 Ratchet and Clank games, my son particularly enjoyed the multiplayer aspect of this one as it allowed the whole family to get involved at the same time. Perhaps a little too easy at times, but nonetheless a nice variation to the Ratchet & Clank franchise full of epic worlds and some clever cooperational play.

Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3)
Ratchet and Clank: All for One (PS3) by Sony (PlayStation 3)