Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.61

on 18 February 2004
Bought this for my 8 year old son and pinched it to read myself. Jane reflects on her years and experiences in Gombe over 30 odd years, on the survival problems facing our closest cousins, on how she has helped them and lastly on what we can do about it.
As you journey along with her there are some stories that nearly made me cry and had a sobering effect on others I have recounted them to.
An enjoyable, exciting read for children - packed with great stories and adventures with an added environmental message. Buy it for your kids but also enjoy it yourself!
on 8 February 1999
I liked the book because it was an adventure story. In one part, the plane crashed. Jane Goodall, Grub (her son), and Derreck (the pilot) didn't get hurt, but they had to cross a river full of crocodiles! I also like the book because it is about Africa, a continent I only know a little about. Besides the amazing animals, I learned that there are important fossil beds in Africa.
Chimps are a central part of the story. The author does a good job of describing the chimps' habits and behavior. The chimps challenge each other for the alpha position (highest ranked position in the group).
I found Jane Goodall likeable because she has interest in saving an endangered species. She reported that chimps can make tools and use them as well as we can. No one knew that before Jane discovered it. Dr. Goodall is also the leader of a special club dedicated to saving chimpanzess.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the fascinating behavior of animals.
on 19 January 1998
This book tells all about Jane Goodalls hardships in becoming a great studier of Chimpanzees. It is great and everyone should read it!!
on 4 April 2012
It wasn't until I started reading this book that I realised that it had with written with children as it's target audience, I don't recall seeing anything to that effect in the synopsis (although I could be wrong). This didn't stop me reading it though. It gave a very good insight into the early life of Jayne Goodall and her reasons for chosing the career path that she did. It was a very interesting read.
on 7 September 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book although it is aimed mainly at young people, trying to encourage them to take an interest in animals and conservation. I do hope many young people read this and become inspired by Jane's life and work. It should be in every school library and every biology teacher's lab.
on 30 January 2016
This book is a little boring at the start. My nephew was a little disappointed that it went on a bit about Jane's life in the beginning, however I quite liked reading about that, (I read it too). He just wanted to read about the chimpanzee's. Informative and educational whilst being interesting too.
on 4 June 2014
Excellent book I have read a few books now and they are so fascinating I feel I'm living the experience too utterly amazing thank you
on 14 October 1998
This book would be a good gift book for kids who like animals.
on 12 June 1998
I have much respect for Jane Goodall, but her writing is not my type. Her personal stories are interesting; yet, the numerous names of the chimps begins to get confussing. I would not read the book again.