5.0 out of 5 stars At long last! SF with some SCIENCE in it once more.
Published on 26 April 2012 by Booleanboy

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Atmospheric Read
This was a good read. Clearly, a lot of research has gone into the content of the descriptive passages and as a result they are very realistic, although a little too graphic for my tastes; for instance, the description of the launch from Earth into orbit was a bit too long for me. Conversely, the whole period spent in the mine was described in a manner that created real...
Published on 15 Nov. 2012 by Roger Elwell

5.0 out of 5 stars At long last! SF with some SCIENCE in it once more., 26 April 2012
This review is from: Below Mercury (Kindle Edition)
Within a few pages of starting Below Mercury I knew that this was My Kind Of Book - well crafted, written in an easy style and containing some real substance. Hard SF novels - the kind where the laws of physics must generally be obeyed (unless there's a REALLY good plot reason to stretch them) seem to have drowned under a torrent of badly-written dragon & elvish drivel so this book, a whodunnit taking us on a manned mission Mercury, was a great find.

One feels that not only does Mark Anson understand the principles of spaceflight and celestial mechanics but he can weave them into a riveting and informative plot too. Don't get me wrong, this book is no dry science lecture. The characters are considered and well drawn (though I'd love to have see them developed a little more) and the storyline takes them on an exciting journey that has a very strong feeling of authenticity about it.

I'd strongly recommend this book to anyone looking for a great read that stimulates the mind and, for me, encourages further reading about the enigmatic planet Mercury.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great First Book, 26 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Below Mercury (Paperback)
A great first start for the author. The book comes with a rich back story for the major characters and a wealth of detail on technical matters as well as excellent diagrams. The plot contains some great twists and some truley nail boting moments. I look forward to reading the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written,plausible science with an unexpected twist., 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Below Mercury (Kindle Edition)
I liked the plot and the background. I had expected the ultimate villain but not the means employed to deliver the mischief.A good Sci Fi read with plausible science,

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Below Mercury (Kindle Edition)
I found this to be a riveting read; I loved the detail and obviously the author had put in an enormous amount of effort to get the facts right (as far as I could tell that is, I'm not a deep space mining expert!) and the end result was a believable sci-fi adventure.

I'm an engineer, and self-confessed pedant (spreadsheets and accuracy are important to my professional and personal lives) so to find something that didn't require a huge leap of faith and/or blind acceptance that zombies/spooks/warlords/magicians existed in the most unlikely of scenarios just to keep a story moving alone made a welcome change.

I liked it, and will be buying Mark's next offering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Below mercury, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Below Mercury (Kindle Edition)
An excellent read with a surprising twist at the end
Very well written keeps you totally engaged and wanting more

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY OUT OF THIS WORLD!, 16 Jun. 2013
G. S. Perry (Gosport, Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Below Mercury (Kindle Edition)
Had me hooked from beginning to end...near future realistic sci fi at it's very best. Will be looking out for this outstanding author's planned sequel & prequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep em coming., 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Below Mercury (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, can't complain for a book which was free. I do hope the author gets to write more!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Below Mercury (Paperback)
I loved this, best book I have read in ages. what an awesome read. very futuristic and believable, very insightful into human behaviour too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sci-fi, 25 Feb. 2014
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Below Mercury (Kindle Edition)
Like many established genres science fiction comes in a variety of flavours (I may be getting confused with ice-cream!) and this book is firmly in the hard sci-fi camp, however don't let this put you off as it's also a cracking story. Reading it you can tell that the author has done his research and it all feels plausible, however knowledge alone doesn't make a good book.

The story concerns a terrible mining tragedy on the planet Mercury killing hundreds of people, the families claim that the investigation was a cover up by the corporation who owned the mine. After years of legal battles they manage to get the investigation re-opened and a team is sent to Mercury to find out what really happened.

It's an interesting story and the writer does a reasonably good job of balancing the technical details with the human side of the story. Occasionally he gets the balance wrong, but not enough to spoil the story. I had a couple of other issues with the book, the first was that I was hoping for something a little more surprising, although it is fitting with the tone of the story, I did feel it was a bit dry.

My other issue was that the ending felt abrupt, it does come to a satidfactory conclusion, but the last scene leaves it open for more, but is rather sudden. Still I enjoyed reading this a lot and is well worth checking out if you enjoy more serious science fiction and it's telling that I have immediately purchased the prequel to read more of the author's work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have paid for this book, 18 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Below Mercury (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading this, the level of detail that the writer goes into doesn't overshadow the tone of the story, which is solid and held my attention throughout.

Below Mercury