5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have Book For All Cat Lovers
Published on 17 July 2009 by P. A. Noddles

3.0 out of 5 stars A moving tribute
The love the author has for his cat comes over loud and clear. What the book lacks in literary accomplishment it makes up for in engaging the reader in the adventures of these two. A very moving tale.
Published 22 months ago by A. B. Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have Book For All Cat Lovers, 17 July 2009
P. A. Noddles "mrboots" (Durham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a wondrous tale about the special relationship between the author Denis O'Connor and his beloved Maine Coon cat Toby Jug.It is set in stunning Northumberland and chronicles the ups and downs, laughter and tears, adventures and escapades that Denis and Toby Jug share with each other. By the time you have finished the book you will have fallen completely under the spell of the incomparable Toby Jug. Constable Robinson pub will be publishing a new edition of this book on the 29th October, make sure you look out for it you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Delight, 1 Jan 2010
K. A. Jones "Dik Rambone" (Aberdare, Wales) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book after hearing one episode of it's week-long slot as 'Book of the Week' on radio 4, just before christmas 2009. The narration by actor Kevin Whately (of Inspector Morse fame) made me decide to buy the book and read it myself.

As a cat owner myself, I was easily drawn in to the storyline about the author's enigmatic companion, Toby Jug. The story of his close relationship with the animal and a year of adventures in Northhumberland were truly heartwarming to read. It reminded me of a time now lost, were people were friendly and life seemed simple and natural.

The story is as much about the author as his cat. A man who lives alone in a remote northern villiage who appears at odds with the normality of modern life. No wife or girlfriend who spends evenings sitting by the fire and reading. The author was indeed 'enlightened' by the presence of the cat, who reminds him of the importance of companionship and shared existance.

As ever, the end is full of sadness and a deep sense of loss. However, I was bouyed by the memory that Toby Jug had lived for 12-years of feline heaven in a location which would have been bliss for any cat, and with an owner who loved and cherished him every day of that existance.

I recommend this book for anyone who wants to read a story of animal companionship and who wants to take away a warm feeling from a simple, old fashioned yarn about love and nature.

Ash Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars paw tracks in the moonlight, 7 Nov 2009
M. Reay (UK) - See all my reviews
Denis O'Connor's Paw Tracks in the Moonlight is a must he has written a year in the life of 'Toby Jug' his best friend. I laughed and cried and held my own Persian cats Jasmin and Suki whilst reading If you have feelings for our feline companions of any size or breed, please, please, - 'read this book'.

It will be undone from Christmas wrapping on the 25th December morning by a number of my my Cat Lover Friends, "Barbara" in particular who befriended 'Katie' who was considered beyond help too.

This was not illness, but she was deemed to be out of control having had two owners too many, becoming very spiteful and anti social. Three years later she is now a stunning black long haired she cat who adores her quiet life with a once lonely lady. I hope she will be inspired by Denis's book to maybe write about her experiences with her best friend.

Margaret Reay

5.0 out of 5 stars Purrfect, 24 Oct 2006
Lisa Yates (Gourdon, Angus) - See all my reviews
I won this book in a competition (in a cat magazine). I loved this book (well, it was about a cat) & have lent it to several fellow cat lovers! I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I fell in love with Toby Jug & laughed at his adventures & totally understood how he had changed his "owner" life forever! The illustrations were also good (I couldn't quite imagine the jug with cotton wool). My cats were lying in bed with me as I finished the book - I was stroking them, happy to have them with me, but at the same time I was crying my eyes out, as heartbroken as the author was.

A must read for cat lovers!

5.0 out of 5 stars EMOTION,, 18 Nov 2009
Mrs. Joyce Lees "Joyce Lees" (Tamworth, Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
From when I received this wonderful book I was smitten, it is absolutely fantastic. Its funny, emotional, caring, warm and has a feel better factor. Everything came to life, I could see all that was happening and to see TOBY JUG sitting on his masters shoulder was wonderful and histerical. One of the best books I have ever read. I ordered this book after reading a short piece shown in the Mail Newspaper. I didn't need to know anything else I immediately ordered it. I have had dealings with a Norwegian Forest Cat, which is very similar one to the Maine Coone and I absolutely enjoyed every bit of the book. I just want the cat now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A warming story of the bond between a man and his cat, 19 Nov 2009
Mr. S. J. Morris (UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent story of how a man's kind act towards a kitten (Toby Jug) develops into a strong bond.As the story unfolds it becomes obvious that Toby Jug has human characteristics.A truly heartwarming story with a combination of humurous and sad events.
I would thoroughly recommend this book to any cat lovers, or altenativley it would make a welcome present for any other cat lovers that you may know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful, 31 Oct 2007
Zoe (BOLTON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm not usually a fan of real life stories but this book had me gripped from the start. I fell for Toby Jug just as the author did and although I knew the inevitable conclusion to the story was coming I was hoping that it would be put off just a little longer, so great were the feelings for this little cat that the author had managed to conjure. I was in tears by the end of the book, saddened for the author's loss but also thankful that he shared this story with us.

This book is a must read, whether you're a cat lover or not. If you aren't a cat lover, I feel confident in saying you will love Toby Jug by the end of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Man and his Cat, 14 April 2010
Saxon (cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
What can I say that hasn't already been said? This is the true story of a wonderful relationship between one man and his beloved Maine Coon cat whom the Author rescued as a 2 week old kitten. Its mother had to be put to sleep after being caught in a gin trap. The author was the first living 'thing' the kitten saw, so a very unusual and strong bond was formed between them. This, coupled with the intelligence of the Maine Coon breed, gave rise to many interesting, hilarious and heart-warming escapades. Although the Author loves Toby Jug's almost human behaviour he also delights in witnessing his feline independence. One scene he describes is priceless: on driving home after a day's work he would sometimes pull over to see if he could spot Toby Jug through his binoculars. And there he would be - about a mile from home - busily going about his cat 'duties'. Sometimes Toby Jug would uncannily return his gaze as if he sensed he was being watched. Another time, when still only a few weeks old, the Author gently washed him, only to find Toby Jug then shuffled nearer the fire & set about washing himself all over! The Author's descriptions of the beautiful Northumberland scenery are wonderful and so too the illustrations. His writing is so powerful that when Toby Jug died I felt I had lost him too and cried & cried - so much so that I couldn't finish the book until a couple of days later. Even then the story captured my thoughts for well over a week - a rare occurrence for me. Although I don't believe in Clairvoyants, I nevertheless found the very end scene strangely comforting.
This is a book that you won't be able to put down and is a 'Must Read' for anyone who has known the joy of loving an animal. Your life will be enriched because of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars a very special book about a very special cat, 22 Jun 2009
K. Alexander "bob" (uk) - See all my reviews
I read this book a while ago and i just could not put it down until i had finished it.It is funny but also quite sad and i was left with the feeling that Toby Jug was a very special cat indeed and i am so glad that his story was put into words so others could read it

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting. A man at one with animals and nature., 13 Mar 2010
I received this book as a Christmas present and only got around to reading it now. Well, once I started it I found it very hard to put down, it is just such a wonderful tale.

From the outset it is clear that Denis O'Connor has a true empathy with all things in nature and all animal life. The trial's and tribulations of Toby Jugs first year of life are just spellbinding. The author manages to truly enthrall the reader in his story, and despite many descriptive passages about the Northumberland countryside I was enchanted from the start. (I am not normally a fan of descriptive writing and tend to skim through those sections, but in this case every word was an absolute pleasure to read and I felt like I was there in Norhthumberland with him and Toby Jug.)

Any person who has ever owned a cat will be all to familiar with the depth of feeling certain cats can arouse in you, and also the constant worry that comes with owning such a wonderful, but independent creature. And they will know too what wonderful fun and pleasure such animals bring to your life on a daily basis!

I am so glad that Denis kept his promise to Toby Jug to tell the wonderful story of his life, and so glad too that I have had the pleasure of being able to share in it.

I was overcome with emotion at the end, when Toby Jug's long and interesting life was cut short, but even then Mr O'Connor was so in tune with his little cat's feelings that he did exactly what his dear cat wanted and brought him home to pass away in his own familiar surroundings.

What more can I say, go out and buy this book, cat lover or not you will enjoy this lovely story and you will not find it lacking in any way. It has restored some of my faith in human nature, to know that there are people out there who truly appreciate the wonderful countryside and magnificent creatures that we have been blessed with. I very much look forward to any more books by Denis O'Connor.

Rest in peace dear little Toby Jug, you have touched my heart today, and I hope you will touch many more in years to come...

Paw Tracks in the Moonlight