5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Phone
I should qualify this by saying I am an Android Software developer. As such I am intimately familiar with a wide range of Android Hardware and can offer I think a valid comparison. I have owned and evaluated perhaps 50+ GSM phones from the truly awful through to the superb and many smartphones from the Nokia 9000 and Ericsson R380s onwards (1996-2000) to the present...
Published on 3 Aug. 2012 by Ed Austin

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't depend on a 12 month guarantee, dodgy phones
Having had this phone now for 7 months it has started to glitch severely to the point it cannot be used to write emails or text. I contacted the seller as the 12 month warranty should still be active only to get a reply that they will not be able to do anything and I should find someone who fixes these phones at my own cost.
Poor customer service would not recommend...
Published on 23 Dec. 2012 by Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Had it 6 months and its conked out, 13 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Blackberry Bold 9900 Sim Free Mobile Phone-Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
My phone network gave me this phone after my previous blackberry 9780's screen smashed.

I originally was going to then get the 9900 on a new contract after my old phone but having this phone given to me has totally changed my mind and im glad ive had it and now know not to take out a 2 year contract.

When i first got it, it looked so sheek and i was so excited to use it. The build quality is very very good, which is new for blackberry. It's a heavy phone, you know when it's in your pocket. The touch screen adds another aspect to the phone, which is always very helpful. It was very speedy to begin with so i was loving the phone. The keyboards larger (but blackberry has introduced the annoyingly clicky keyboard back in) and the resolution on the screen is a joy to look at. The way a blackberry works is just a joy in general.

About 3 months in, problems started. The phone has just gotten slower and slower, and installing the new RIM OS 7 software has made it infuriating slow (more to the fault of blackberry and not the actual phone i presume). The battery is ridiculous. My last blackberry lasted me around 2 days with a lot of use. Blackberry has put the same battery in this phone, which is supposed to be much faster, which a bigger processor, so the battery drains stupidly fast, im lucky if it lasts 10 hours. It is now doing what my previous battery did that the insurance company put into my phone, which seemed like a fake, where it completely drains, but when you put the charger in, it says its fully charged. I am a heavy phone user but considering the price of this phone, I would expect it to last me more than 6 months. Frankly I cannot wait to move onto a new phone.

The features of the Blackberry 9900 should make it an awesome phone to use, but this will be the last blackberry I use having had so many annoying problems with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frankly, my old Bold 9000 is a better deal...., 21 Feb. 2012
Having had a BB for 5 years, and a Bold 9000 for almost 4 years I've been OK with RIM. I use it mostly for mail, messaging and calls. The battery life, a proper keyboard, robust secure push email and IM are important. Occasional web access for google etc. Last weekend I dropped my trusted 9000 on the drive, and a while later my son parked (literally) his car on it. As he drove off later, my wife spotted it and gently passed it to me in the way one might hand over a deceased pet. Just as I took it, it vibrated and that little red light flashed - it lived! Of course, the screen was broken, and the surround dented but that phone was so tough! Nonetheless, I decided to upgrade and purchased the closest modern equivalent - and if you set them down side-by-side they look almost identical. Remarkably, although the screen was broken, I plugged the old 9000 into the pc and Blackberry Desktop Mgr duly transferred everything to the new one. So far, so good _ sure hope the 9900 is as tough.

Then I was prompted to upgrade the SW to the latest version and I seemed to go through a morning of crashes, restarts, and failed upgrades as it tried to sort itself out. I can't remember the last time my 9000 froze/crashed. BDM had migrated my favorite apps too.. VIIGO (a news/information service now owned by RIM). Oh dear.. it doesn't work with the new Blackberry OS7 and it seems RIM are ditching it. Slingplayer - a product that allows you to watch your home TV whilst on the road .. worked great on my 9000 - oh dear - no longer works on OS7 or new Berries. I wanted to load Skype - nope, not available although some US network providers do support it. I have an IPAD where everything just works. I didn't expect the new 9900 to be much better than the 9000 in the app department but I did expect a bit more than a phone. It looks and feels great, the screen is lovely BUT THE SOFTWARE SUPPORT SUCKS! What are RIM doing? It seems they have a death wish - simple apps that worked (even their own) on older phones no longer works on the new ones. It's as if they are trying really really hard to fail - and doing very well.

RIM are supposed to be releasing the hotspot capability in OS7.1 - a release that also is said to be increasing battery life. I hope the hotspot capability will allow me to use the Ipad apps so I have the best of both worlds.

So what's good? It is a classy machine, the screen resolution is great, and the mixture of touch screen and keyboard works well. The camera is much better, as is the video. The new menu system takes a bit of getting used to, but it's ok. Web access is much faster, and of course the screen resolution makes it more usable than on the old one.

Worth the price? If I had my old Bold working, to be honest, the upside of better screen and faster processor does not compensate for the downside of fewer apps and 450ukp less in my account. In any case, what's the benefit of better hardware if the software is not there to support it. I want real keys and robust mail, so I'm happy to keep the device but it's not worth the money. If you're not wedded to Blackberry buy an Iphone or something Android.

UPDATE. I installed the leaked OS7.1.0.267 because the battery had gone down to 35% in 4 hrs of idle. It's certainly better after day 1 - taking 12 hrs before it's at 35%. Light usage with this, but had wifi and bluetooth on all day. Also tried the new Hotspot feature (where you can share the 3G connection with up to 5 other devices). Worked well with the Ipad, so now (as long as your plan supports it) you can have the Apple apps and the Blackberry mail etc. I raised my assessment from 2 stars to 3 but it still has room for improvement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not that good!, 13 Dec. 2011
This phone is good, as long as you don't want that many apps on it, unlike the iPhone and Android platforms, the application storage on these things is seperate, meaning that if you enjoy downloading different apps (not that there is that many in the BB app store compared to the other 2, and even windows mobile beats it to be honest) it means that you are going to fill it up pretty quickly, and even if you don't fill it up it'll still freeze a few tiomes or even just switch itself off.

One major problem I had was where my morning alarm did not go off, meaning that I was late for work as my blackberry 'smart' phone had thrown a wobbly overnight and didn't restart automatically and would not set the alarm off, this is very poor as most phones will turn on automatically if there is an alarm set and the only way I could get the thing to work again was to pull the battery, something I do on a weekly basis.

To be honest, I should've just waited for the iPhone 4S, I had a BB Storm 2 before and that was dreadful so I suppose I should've learnt my lesson! I have now...

5.0 out of 5 stars BB 9900, 29 Oct. 2011
Great happy with the product and the service I received, got the phone straight away.
those who love the BB will instantly love this handset and for those who haven't used it before you like it too. Blackberry's aren't for everyone just a select few.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best BlackBerry Yet, 18 Oct. 2011
I upgraded from a Bold 9000 and this one is better in every way. It's thinner, more durable, has no trackball that gets dirty (although I loved the trackball, when it worked; your milage may vary), better screen, more horsepower, and I even like the new OS7. I had a 9780 for about two days, and OS6 was one of the main reasons I had for sending it back.

The touch screen on the 9900 is a slight oddity in my book, but it works rather well, and eases some of the navigation. I managed to move the ringtones I had gotten used to from the 9000, so there is absolutely nothing I miss from my old model.

If you're one of the (few?) out there who still prefer a physical keyboard to hammer away on, you owe it to yourself to give this one a serious look.

4.0 out of 5 stars bold back to its best, 29 Sept. 2011
if you type as many message as me on the bb bold then this is the phone for you, it is by far the quickest and easiest smart phone i have uses and i have had the full range camera is fantastic, touch screen takes some getting use to if you are not a iphone owner, the browser is faster and the battery charger is smaller, i think this is so you can carry it round as the battery life is not as good as the last models, you will get no more that 24hrs out of this phone on moderate use. overall an excellent smart phone. one point is you will need a permanent case as when you drop it may not survive the fall with the large screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Phone!, 28 Sept. 2011
Got this phone last week, this is my first BlackBerry I have ever owned and I don't know why i didn't purchase one of these makes of phone before. I found that it is an amazing phone, it's very quick at loading apps, the touch screen is extremely responsive. The only downside of this phone is that the battery only lasts for about a day. I would strongly recomend this phone to anyone who enjoys a fantastic piece of technology. This is BlackBerry's best phone yet as I have done research on the other models and they don't even reach the bar where the Bold 9900 is. My overall rating for the phone is 5 out of 5 stars, but for the battery I rate it 3 out of 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tatty keyboard, 3 April 2012
I purchased a Blackberry Bold via Amazon in January 2012 and although I like the phone in general, I have had a problem with letters and numbers rubbing off the keyboard which now gives the phone a slightly 'tatty' look which after only 3 months usage is very unsatisfactory. Amazon will not exchange the phone for another similar type and Blackberry themselves seem not to have a retail complaints office that I can refer my own complaint to.
So remember, if you buy this phone through Amazon rather than a high street retailer, you will only have limited options should you encounter problems within the first few months of purchase. So my advice is - purchase via the high street.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Jan. 2015