5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
Example's best album without a doubt.
Skies Don't Lie is just beautiful. There's nothing more I can say, its just has the simple, no frills brilliance only captured in this, Anything, and Lying To Yourself.
Stay Awake is superb, a brilliant lyrical viewpoint from Gleave, a dark yet I imagine accurate description of the generation to come.
Changed The Way...
Published 8 months ago by Louise

3.0 out of 5 stars Love his released stuff
I do like Example, especially after seeing him perform live (immense)...but I have to say I'm not a fan of the unreleased tracks on this album. I'd suggest downloading Stay Awake, Changed The Way You Kiss Me and Midnight Run and leaving the rest of the album alone.
Published on 16 Dec 2011 by KateM.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Playing in the Shadows (Audio CD)
Example's best album without a doubt.
Changed The Way You Kiss Me is my personal highlight of the album, a gorgeous soundtrack to just about everyone's love life.
The Way is kinda cool in the way that the first time I heard it I dismissed it as dull and repetitive, but the next few times it appeared on shuffle I slowly got into it. It requires a few listens, but like all great tracks, once your used to the feel of the beat, it's fantastic.
Natural Disaster is the track that got Example known, and rightly so, Laidback Luke is a genius at the decks.
Never Had a Day and Under the Influences are both perfect descriptions of addiction, and how it crumbles your relationships, you really feel for the singer.
Then of course there's Microphone, a feel good, speak-out track, but me being the cynic that I am, that's not my kinda feel.
Playing in the Shadows is dark and dingy, and yet another great track that speaks for itself.
Midnight Run and Wrong in the Head are both a little rough at the edges. They aren't polished, they aren't perfect, but they're good tracks all the same. All in all, a worthwhile investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like surprises !, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Playing in the Shadows (Audio CD)
I purchased this album on the basis of the reviews that you guys had written and I have to admit that I was surprised by its content. Playing in the Shadows is an album that you may not be tempted to buy but my advice to you today is be tempted as you will not be disappointed!...... Like it , Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1000x better than his first album, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: Playing in the Shadows (Audio CD)
The first thing I wanna say about Example is say he's an incredible lyricist. Most rappers just rap about `b**ches' or other rubbish that means nothing. Example talks about his life, tells us stories & successfully manages to make it all flow without using any lyric that doesn't fit (well, maybe "Stick around, yeah like Elastoplast" is the exception that proves the rule...) With Playing In The Shadows Example switches from rap to singing every few lines and this is something I love. He has a very strong London accent and this gives character to his songs, making them instantly recognisable. `Anything' is a beautifully crafted song, it presents his ultimate vulnerability with lyics like "Will I ever find another girl as beautiful and kind?". The melody is very catchy and set to an acoustic guitar accompaniment which is so contrasting to his usual heavy drum beats and distortion. `Midnight Run' is another fantastic hit from Playing In The Shadows as its synths and warped bass are topped with a hook so strong you can't help being pulled in. Example is charm personified and it shines right through this latest album. Not usually one for rap, Example is my guilty pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic Example of an album, 11 Oct 2011
I liked Example before, and bought this album on the strength of "Changed The Way You Kiss Me". What a fantastic surprise of an album - there's not a duff track on it. My new fave tracks currently are "Midnight Run" and "Natural Disaster". Each track seems to have its own story to tell, and I'm a sucker for sad breakup stories.... Just love this album, and it's going to be playing in my car for a long time yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Example...An Example of the way dance music should be, 9 May 2012
Jared P. Harrison (LEE, NEW HAMPSHIRE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing in the Shadows (Audio CD)
My family is from the UK but I'm Irish breed, born in USA so traveling over to UK most of my life alot of what music comes out of europe I love. I'd recently dabbled into the Dubstep scene but soooo many of the artists it was just bleeps and heavy bass. then I stumbled onto NERO and liked a lot of their tracks but not enough to buy the album...then Youtube showed me Example, Midnight Run. I gave it a go and have not looked back since. I LOOOOVE Example. He does what most artists I like (ie Prodigy, Linkin Park, Bloc Party) he blends different styles into one intoxicating drink of music. Everything from trance (sounds like Ferry Corsten style synths) to Dubstep or breakbeat or 2step, to house to even downtempo tracks like "Microphone" which would easily play on radio here in the USA. I cannot wait to hear what else Example has coming- especially with upcoming albums that could be available in the USA.
Keep up the good work Lad. Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album!!!!!!!!, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: Playing in the Shadows (Audio CD)
I Love this album it is brilliant and by far Examples best! I totally recomend you buy this.

There is a mixture of rap, pop, dance, trance, house and even R and B.

It is brilliant for listening to wherever you are, especially on a long road trip, becuase there is lots of brilliant catchy songs you can repeatedly listen to, to ensure there is no bordem!!!!

It is well worth the money and should cost more, because it is that amazing!!!

I am a huge fan of Example but I can ensure not so big fans will fall in love with this album too!!!

So to conclude GET this album by "Mr eg" it is magnificant!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Example of greatness!!!, 14 Feb 2013
dvjj "dvjj" (England (Hampshire)) - See all my reviews
I am still playing this some 10 months after purchase and don't have a favourite song as they are all so good...So different...What is he Dance? Pop? Rock? Indie? Hip Hop? Such an accomplished varied performer!! Bravo!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Love his released stuff, 16 Dec 2011
KateM.90 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Playing in the Shadows (Audio CD)
Just fair mr L Bradbrook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for my brother, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Playing in the Shadows (Audio CD)
Perfect little gift for my brother, he loved it and plays it in the car all the time. The delivery and packaging was good. Would recommend.

Playing in the Shadows
Playing in the Shadows by Example (Audio CD - 2011)