Olympus are being rather cheeky expecting us to pay £30 for this - most manufacturers would have just included it in the box with the (albeit wonderful) 45mm 1.8 micro 4/3 lens. Yes it is a perfect fit and looks the part but when all's said and done it is made of cheap plastic and there are ebay versions for half the price or less, even ones perfectly color matched to the lens like this "official" hood is. I have used the lens for a while now without the hood as it happens, both indoors and outdoors and in the Autumn conditions I was shooting in, even on a bright sunny day, I didn't see flare or loss of contrast being an issue at all, so I'm not sure how essential a purchase this would be as avoiding flare would be the main reason for buying this.
After I used the 45mm f1.8, I was a bit disappointed by Olympus not including the hood with the lens.
I have used this official hood, and the quality is as you expect good, but it's not £30 good by any stretch of the imagination.

Moulded plastic is still moulded plastic however you cut it
The hood fits well but I compared it to a number of significantly cheaper offerings on ebay (including a uWinKa branded one) and there is very little difference, and the fit was just fine (both normally and reversed)

As you can buy alternatives for a significantly lower price elsewhere I can't recommend this based purely on price. If Olympus come to their senses and price this at a more sensible level (say £15 odd) I would up the rating to 4 stars (I think it should still be included with the lens)

The 45mm f1.8 is a lens that does benefit from a hood, even though the lens is resistant to flare it can help with contrast at times and serve as protection, esp as the font element is quite exposed. It's just a shame Olympus insist on gouging out customers with a silly price.
on 1 November 2012
As others have commented, 1p shy of 30 quid is an absolute rip-off.

The hood fits; though the process is strange: you have to remove a plastic ring from the lens itself to reveal the hood slot.
on 5 July 2012
This is a lens hood. They're as simple as they come, all doing the same thing.
There is absolutely no need reason to price a simple, small hood at £29.99 ; it's just absurd.
on 1 October 2012
I'd already read the reviews and knew this was over-priced but unfortunately I needed a hood within a certain time frame and the well-known manufacturer of cheap copies had run out of stock. Essentially I was forced into this purchase and I wholeheartedly agree with the other reviewers: it does what it says on the tin but at a ridiculous premium. For this kind of money I'd expect it to be made of aluminium, titanium even!

I hope for this price it's as least as good as Canon-branded hoods. I know cheaper copies are made of softer plastic and have a tendency to wear away around the thread, so if this doesn't last I will be sorely disappointed.

One other thing, why isn't the hood black? Is it to match the lens that should also be available in black? These are not what you'd call stealthy options for street photographers. This silver colour may be nice and retro but it's impractical.

I'll update this review after my first trip and let you know how this fared. If it proves to be robust then I'll upgrade this to a 3/5.
on 6 January 2015
Not much to say here. The hood fits the end of the lens.
You have to unscrew a retaining ring on the end of the lens to fit it and then you need to keep the ring somewhere safe. Bit of a nuisance to store the lens with the hood screwed onto it, but probably not so much as that.
Not really convinced that a lens hood does a lot. There's only so much light it can keep out before you don't get the right amount through the lens. Still it looks the part and there are those who are keen.
Nicely made, does the job, made of light plastic.
on 4 March 2013
I nearly went for a cheaper third party alternative, but was put off by some comments about looseness and plasticky build of those alternatives. I wouldn't bother returning it now (and too late anyway) but I might consider third party in future. It fits well enough in shading position, but is a little loose when reversed for storage (but it's in the bag then and not so loose that I expect it to fall off or anything). The plastic is quite 'soft' and flexible, which I wasn't expecting. It is really quite deep and narrow, so there's not a lot of space to remove or replace the lens cap while the hood is in the normal position. In fact, it's quite difficult (although possible) and I've got reasonably nimble fingers. I've got into the habit of removing the lens cap before turning the hood right way round and replacing the cap after reversing the hood for storage. I imagine Olympus know what they're doing and that it needs to be this deep, so the only advantage you'll get with most third party alternatives is a lower price. One star deducted for slightly flimsy feel and one for overcharging for a simple hood instead of including it with the lens. Other than that, OK.
on 1 August 2013
The original lens hood for the 45mm 1.8 looks great on the lens the finishes match and I think it does a good job of reducing flare etc. It is a bit pricey but I guess you would see some of that money back in resale value.
on 19 May 2015
Seems much more secure and altogether nicer than the JJC it replaces. My only grumble is why on earth don't Olympus include this with the (otherwise wonderful) lens.
on 31 March 2015
Fast delivery as stated genuine Olympus lens hood in Olympus box