5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written exciting Viking saga
Published on 27 July 2002 by ambersaxon696

3.0 out of 5 stars Surrender
A bit disappointed with this one! not as good as the others felt rushed and disjointed shame, I gave five stars to the others.
Published 24 days ago by Lindyloo

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written exciting Viking saga, 27 July 2002
"Surrender my Love" is the third in Johanna Lindsey's Viking trilogy and in my opinion it is as good as the previous two" Fires of Winter" and " Hearts Aflame". First of all I am very much interested in the history of Dark Age Britain and when I read a historical romance I want proper historical background in it as well. I think Ms Lindsey knows how to research the historical period and how to combine history with romance. I enjoyed reading about the Haardrad family; Garrick and Brenna and their children; Kristen and Selig, their everyday lives, their strong personalities and their courage. I could imagine myself in Lady Erica of Gronwood's place, the way she felt and thought about Selig.I could understand her personality very well. I loved the way Johanna Lindsey made Selig suffer and made him realize that not every woman falls for him immediately. I found the characters well described and alive. The verbal conversations were realistic and very enjoyable.I think some readers wouldn't like to read about lashing and violence in romance books, but the historical background wouldn't be real without it.
The storyline is very good in all thre books and they make the reader turn the pages faster and faster. I must admit I couldn't put down these books and read them in one day, going to bed at 3 am every day. I loved the way the writer combined the lives of Norsemen, Saxons, Celts and Danes and made them confront each other and even find peace with each other.
Johanna Lindsey proves in this trilogy how love can conquer everything.I wish there were more such professionally written historical romances from the era of Dark Age Britain.I recommend it to every reader who likes to escape from our everyday routines to exciting and beautiful stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb romance; I loved every second of this book., 27 April 2001
By A Customer
Selia Haardrad, the gorgeous half Celtic half Viking, branded a spy and locked in Lady Erika's dungeon to await his fate. The whole story is based around Selig's thirst for revenge once he is released from the dungeon, taking Erika as a captive. He hates her, she hates him, but they slowly start to fall in love with each, much to their own disgust. You know how this is going to end, but even so it doesn't detract from the quick pace of the story and good characterisation throughout. Although to be honest, Selig does seem just too good to be true.....However, I really loved this book, as much as Fires of Winter and Hearts Aflame, the other Haardrad family books. As ever with Johanna Lindsey books the feel good factor is high and for a day or so takes you out of reality and places you firmly into fantasy. A lovely book to escape with.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable escapism, 2 Dec 2003
By A Customer
I felt compelled to add my review after reading the one labelling this book as endorsement of domestic abuse. I could point out that this book is romantic fiction. I doubt I am the only woman who fantasises (yes please note that it is fantasy) about an intelligent, commanding hunk of testosterone induced masculinity throwing his weight around and throwing them over his shoulder and carting them off to the nearest bed.
There is nothing in this book which endorses domestic abuse or brutality. The reviewer who suggested it did is totally misleading any would be purchasers. This is, in my opinion, politically correct thinking taken to extremes. If life mirrored romantic fiction there wouldnt be any divorce now, would there?
For the record, the book does include a scene were the hero is lashed. Not an uncommon thing I would suggest in anglo saxon England. No doubt if JL had mentioned some villein having his ears cut off or his nose sliced (common punishments in those days) the reviewer would have said she was endorsing that too. The lashing referred to fits the plot, is in fact an integral part of the plot as is the twist which has the heroine in a similar predicament.
This is not my favourite JL book but it certainly rates up there with the best. Don't be put off by the bad review.

5.0 out of 5 stars My thought + Book sleeve description, 17 Jan 1998
By A Customer
On the back of the book: A Lady's Scorn. Wrongly branded a spy, the dark and handsome Viking lod Selig Haardrad suffered greatly in the dungeons of Lady Erika of Gronwood. And as he hung in chains, his magnificent body wracked with pain and fever, on thought sustained him: revenge! A Vikings Vengeance. Now Destiny's great wheel has turned-and Selig's exquisite, honey-haired tormentor has been delivered into the Norseman's hands. Now it is Selig who is the maste, bound and determined to break the proud spirit of his captive "ice queen" and to conquer her with passion's sword-never dreaming that his own heart will be vanquished by sensuous desire... and vicorious love..... My thoughts on the book: Selig is a character who first appears in "Heart Aflame" as the heroin Kirten's sister and manages to steal some of the limelight. A man much loved by women all his life this book deals with a presumed action by a woman agianst him. He is as much in shock as he is out for revenge and actually finds he has a hard time really carrying out his revenge but it makes for good tense reading at times as you don't know just what Selig might do. A great read, I loved the two lead character of Selig and Erika. She is in a tense kidnapping situation and is brave and strong without being overbearing or unbelievable [unlike Kirsten in Heart Aflame] given the situation. .....An exciting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's breath taking, 10 Jun 2000
This is a book to keep always near. I loved this book, it took me to places in my imagination and in my heart I never knew where there.As you read every page you die with exictement to know what's coming next. I remember wanting to be in the book to live it more closely. I love the way JL writes and ever since I read this book I became addicted to her style. I really recomend this book, espeacially if you like love stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Surrender My Love (Viking Haardrad Family) (Kindle Edition)
I liked the characters and the story but I preferred the other two books in the series. However,I will put it in my favourites and read it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surrender my love, 24 Jan 2013
Good relaxing book takes all of your problems. I had a great time reading this book. I never been disappointed with books written by Johanna Lindsey

5.0 out of 5 stars Another smasher, 26 Oct 2007
This review is from: Surrender My Love (Paperback)
by Jo Lindsey. Selig tried so hard to be vengeful and hard but the man is just a gentle giant. He is everything a woman could ask for (if only). Every woman that reads this will fall a little in love with him.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surrender, 28 Aug 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars What is *your* definition of Romance?, 7 Oct 2001
By A Customer
I don't know about the other readers of this book, but I personally do not find a book, where beatings, brutality and lashing are glorified, particularly romantic. While other Lindsey readers have written of "wonderful escape", I was jerked into a world where both emotional and psychical abuse of women were not only accepted, but also rated as 'right' or 'justified'. Without giving too much away, the hero punishes the heroine (who had initially ordered the hero lashed) repeatably and thus makes her submit to him. This is not a great Romance - this is validation of domestic abuse. How could anyone label this "Romantic" (note capital) is beyond me.

Surrender My Love (Viking Haardrad Family)