4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look
I stumbled across this whilst looking for something new in the sci-fi genre. There are some great ideas in the book and it's nicely paced and structured. I was a bit disappointed that it ended so abruptly but I guess there's the possibility for a sequel. Can't complain at 49 pence. Fantastic value for money.
Published on 12 Sep 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really my cup of tea
Published on 15 July 2011 by J. Duffy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really my cup of tea, 15 July 2011
J. Duffy (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Containment (Kindle Edition)
Like a lot of other reviewers I thought there was far too much "technobabble" in this novel. The author often shoves long explanations of fantastical advances in science into the story which ultimately add nothing to the plot. I think you would have to be a fervent fan of sci-fi to rave about this book. It doesn't really get interesting until about two-thirds into the story. The ending is not too bad, if a little predictable, so I gave this book three stars. If you liked the BBC drama "Outcasts" you should like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars There is a good story in here, but its not well delivered, 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: Containment (Kindle Edition)
I started reading this book on my notebook and switched to my Kindle when it arrived and so this has the distinction of being my first Kindle 3G read. There were occasions, however, when I nearly gave up on it, but my curiosity over where the plot was going kept me going.

It is not a sophisticated read, a little clumsy and in need of a good editing. I also felt that, perhaps it is for younger readers, although that might be doing a disservice to younger readers (I'm too old to comment). Certainly the protagonist seems to act and get treated like a teenager and that seems to be the narrative viewpoint. My biggest problem with the book is that the author has a tendency to dwell on overly detailed explanations that add little to the story and interrupt the pace. It is almost as if all of the research the author has done for the book **has** to find its way onto the page. Because of this I occasionally found myself skim reading parts. I don't want to give the plot away, because there are good twists and ideas in here, sufficient to keep me reading, but there is one scene where the main character is in a life or death situation and rather than develop that and build some tension, I thought it wandered off into some distracting explanation or another.

I think you have to read to the end to understand what the author was doing with some of the earlier chapters, particularly the future-history lessons, which initially seemed a little over the top - and overly juvenile in their explanations (although you will understand at the end). I'm not sure but, these might have been less distracting, if some of the other 'over-explanations' and 'analysis', were cut back.

In summary, I found it a little frustrating, but do not regret taking the time to finish it, even if I did have to skim read some of the (in my opinion) unnecessary techno-detail.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 Oct 2010
Bilbob (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Containment (Kindle Edition)
The premise of this book is nothing new, but it's to the author's skill in setting the scene in quite a convincing way that I didn't see the twist in the plot coming. Unfortunately, he lets himself down by including rather lengthy explanations of the supposedly out of this world tech, which slows everything down. By the end, I was just skimming the pages as he'd really lost my interest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world?, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Containment (Kindle Edition)
For 49p it was not a bad read. Though there was a bit too much technical explanation for me and I found the ending a bit of an anticlimax and unfulfilling. I also found it a bit difficult to follow as part of the story was after the accident and part was before and it was a bit confusing, at least to me, to know whether we in the present or past.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look, 12 Sep 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid SF read, 14 Dec 2011
Mr. A. N. Mcgill (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Containment (Kindle Edition)
When I downloaded this novel I wasn't expecting much, just something to keep me amused during my daily commute. What I got was a yarn that engaged me from the beginning simply because the author's style was so easy to get on with. This is no ground breaking story and the plot devises and eventual twist have been done many times before, but it works. Mainly because of the main character's musings on scientific method and the environment in which he is in. Having read a lot of SF I am well used to a story that goes back and fore between what is happening now and what happened in the past but somehow this doesn't work in Containment. I had to ask myself if now is really now or are the events I'm reading were in the recent past. There are also a couple of places where something is said to be true when, given the timeline, could not be. Maybe if I re-read it I would resolve these queries but this is not a book where you would do that. However, this is a really good, solid SF read and I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book, 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: Containment (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book.

It's not too long, and I think the pace was perfect. I particularlly enjoyed how the story was set both pre-coma and post-coma. I expected it to get confusing, but it was written well enough that I always knew what "timeline" the story was progressing in. The end is a bit abrupt, but only in as much as I feel I want to know what happens next. Surely that's a sign of a good book!

As a software developer, you can clearly tell the author also leads a similar career. His "technobabble" sounded like most of it could be completely true - which is what I love about good science fiction. Not just "that sounds like we could have that in a few decades", but "I can guess what the code for that looks like". I loved this part of the book, although it seems like other reviewers disliked it.

I won't say much, but the author handles the twist very well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice quick read but predictable, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Containment (Kindle Edition)
I have only recently started using my kindle to read novels, but thought at the price and given the genre this would be a good start.

Its not a bad read, as others have said, there are lots of technical explainations of the technology, which I found a good thing.

I worked out what was going on by less than 1/3 of the way in, and watched the plot unfold as I predicted, but it was still a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would've paid more, 5 Oct 2010
Mr. Jamie Mcfarlane (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Containment (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book from Amazon for 47p and at that price if it'd been a rubbish book I wouldn't have minded. However Containment was actually really good! It's a bit slow but there's a good story and a great twist and it ends well. For 47p you really can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money., 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: Containment (Kindle Edition)
Finding this book on the amazon store in the Science Fiction Section, I looked at the price and decided that the expenditure was well worth the risk of it failing to deliver.

Having spent an avid couple of hours devouring this title I felt that the price could have been several pounds higher and still been justified.

What I found was what amounts to quite a fresh idea executed well and as others have pointed out some very detailed explanations which as a more technical minded reader I found very engaging.

Having finished the book I am now in the process of populating my Kindle with the rest of his novels currently available and I retain high hopes for them.

In my mind for the price paid it is well worth it and rest assured it is something I will find myself returning to read several times.