5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read by Mary Hooper
Published on 21 Oct 2006 by curlytot

2.0 out of 5 stars Deeply disappointing
Having read the Sugared Plum books and Megan 1 and 2 I have a lot of respect for Mary Hooper as an author, but the plot line in Eliza Rose was the stuff of trashy novels. Yes it did have plenty of reference to real historical characters, and conveyed some of the sense of what it was like to live in those times - which is why I gave it two stars - but ultimately it was a...
Published on 30 Sep 2007 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read by Mary Hooper, 21 Oct 2006
I disagree with the previous reviewers comments about the end of this book not being complete, I feel that it just left me wanting more - which is what a good book is all about isn't it? In my opinion this is Mary Hooper's best book to date. As the saying goes, "I couldn't put it down"! I found myself lost in the trials and tribulations of Eliza's life, and it always makes such a refreshing change to read something about the way life used to be, instead of the angst of the modern day teenager. More please, Mary!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 28 Aug 2009
A Kid's Review
London, 1670, Fifteen year old Eliza Rose is thrown into prison for stealing a pasty. She is rescued by a brash scrubby women known as Old Ma Gwyn, but her relief soon turns to horror when she discovers what her new benefactress has in mind for her. Eliza has come to the city to find her father and a place to call home but fate seems to be conspiring against her.

From Orange selller, to ladysmaid and highwaymans moll, she will take on many guises, btu will she find out what she yearns to know- where she truly belongs?

This was a very enjoyable book, with an excellent story line, I would have never guessed what would have happened if I didnt read ahead (bad habit of mine). Mary Hooper is an excelletn author. For once Iam going to talk about the cover: it so pretty! I think it us a bit vague 'coz the girl has brown hair instead of black

5.0 out of 5 stars One to be re-read!, 26 Feb 2009
This fantastic book can be read over and over again! It is filled with romance, hard-ship of life in the reign of Charles II but also the up-sides with touches of humuor thrown in for good measure! Featuring the lovable character of Eliza Rose and her numerous jobs, 'a mermaid', a highway man's moll and an innocent orange seller. Even Nell Gwyn herself plays a vital role in Eliza's life and becomes her best friend and even Charles II makes his appearances! This book is charming with a heart warming ending! A thoroughly great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book, 14 Jun 2009
A Kid's Review
This book is just phenomonal. It portrayes a perfect picture of 17th Century London, with a gripping storyline, following 15 yr old Eliza Rose who is on a mission to find her real parents. Mary Hooper is definately my favourite author by far. She is a very diverse author. Other books of hers to check out are: Megan 1.2.3, Amy, Holly, At the sign of the sugar plum and petals in the ashes.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read., 23 Nov 2007
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I found this a most enjoyable read, though the style of writing was a little 'clumsy' in places, and somehow not all the sentences seemed to 'flow' like most books I read; sometimes the sentences would go on a little longer after I thought they'd ended, or a comma would suddenly appear when I felt a full stop might be appropriate. However, that aside; I am always puzzled as to why these types of books should fall into a category called the 'young adults' section. This was very readable, and is clearly about scenarios that are adult topics - whether they be young or old, and this is about the third novel I have read in this genre. OK, so it was rather 'tame', but does that necessarily mean that only a 'younger' adult would be interested in it? In fact, I would have thought more likely the reverse - if indeed this is the reason they list them for 'young adults'... I would recommend this novel to anyone who likes historical fiction with a few people who have really existed thrown in for good measure!

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top five books!, 15 Aug 2008
H. Rabey - See all my reviews
I am 14 and I was advised to read this book and was a bit apprehensive as I had not read a historical book before, this book is a gripping read and I could not put it down, I found that the book is well written and the story line is very good, overall I would definatley read it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good actually, 9 Feb 2009
Rachel G (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I reviewed this book for the publishers (I believe it's on a website somewhere) and I really quite enjoyed it - yes, it is a little shallow, etc, but as long as it is not taken seriously (as it obviously shouldn't be) then it is a very enjoyable read... apart from the ever so slightly disappointing ending, but I won't spoil it for anyone by saying what it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling Eliza Rose, 5 Nov 2006
Ok, so you have read Mary Hooper's previous historical novels (At the Sign of the Sugared Plum & Petals in the Ashes) and now you want more. If that is the case, then I can promise you the 'The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose' won't disappoint. Yes, the setting of London in 1670 may well be dirty, smelly and downiright detestable, but at least you get the straight facts and knowledge of what it really was like to be a pretty young maiden in the Stuart era.

Now for the storyline: Eliza Rose from Somerset is sent to Clink Prison in 1670 for stealing a pasty. However, Clink is dirty, unhygienic and there is always the possibility of catching Prison Fever and dying a slow and painful death. Fortunately for Eliza, she is rescued by the most unlikely hero: Old Ma Gwyn. In fact, Old Ma Gwyn was a real person and all the references to her are based on fact. From there, Eliza meets and becomes firm friends with Ma Gwyn's daughter, the famous mistress of Charles II named Nell Gwyn. Now that is the irrrestible storyline, I will leave you to find out the rest...

This book is great not only for enjoyment and satisfaction but for the knowledge that you get from it about the Stuart traditions and ways of life. So read Eliza Rose's story today and (this sounds cheesey but...) don't delay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for primary pupils, 20 April 2013
Ordered this hoping to use it in Guided Reading as we cover this period of history in Year 5 and thought this would help with empathy. Rather too many references to courtesans using words that would create uproar from parents and Governors so no good for that!! Great read for early secondary pupils though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eliza Rose Reviewed, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose (Kindle Edition)
The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza RoseFrom the Prologue to the end as usual books by Mary Hooper grip you from start to finish and you cannot wait to turn the page (even on a kindle). Well written, exciting and with some amazing twists and turns this book is one you cannot put down, unless you need to eat or drink.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›