5.0 out of 5 stars What a find!
My niece from Germany bought me my first Anne Holt book in the summer and what a find! I quickly scoured Amazon for more and to my sorrow found that only two other books had been translated. The writing is smooth and absorbing and grips you right from the first page. Anne Holt is an author who is going to stay in my top ten - no top five.
Published on 13 Feb 2010 by Lady Susan Woods

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many coincidences!
It could have been a great book but for the converging of two apparently different cases to achieve a nice tidy conclusion...unlikely! If not for this I would have rated the book 4 stars, it was a good read, I liked the characters and the Norwegian flavour.
Published on 17 Nov 2011 by Papillon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many coincidences!, 17 Nov 2011
Papillon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable, but nothing exhilerating..., 15 Oct 2007
bloodsimple (nottingham, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Punishment (Paperback)
Holt is another in the production line of Scandinavia crime writers. It's difficult to judge whether their arrival is simply an accident of translations pitching up at once, or a deliberate marketing campaign.

There is an intrinsic understatement and bleakness to a Nordic thriller which appeals to me, so Holt is pushing at an open door. Her main character, Johanne, is appealing, and has an interesting backstory that looks like it could survive a number of books. The plot itself is a twin-track that you know will meet at the end; the trick is to not make it too contrived or incredible, and Holt only barely pulls that trick off.

Overall, this story is a little too long (maybe seventy superfluous pages) and the climax is spoiled by a reveal two-thirds in. It lacks the subtlety of Henning Mankell and is less absorbing than Karen Alvtegen, but is an enjoyable-enough read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shows promise but a coincidence too far, 12 Mar 2012
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Punishment (Johanne Vik Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Crimes of the scariest kind are being committed in Norway, children are disappearing and one is returned to the mother dead worse still their the pathologist can't find a cause of death. Superintendent Adam Stubo is the detective who's in charge of the case. Alan Stubo makes contact with university researcher Johanne Vik to see if she can provide a profile for the killer. Johanne is currently researching a historical case, that of Aksel Seier. Having been contacted by a dying lady who is sure that back in 1954 he was wrongly accused of and imprisoned for the rape and murder of an eight year old girl.

Both stories are interesting and concentrate as much as why the crimes were committed as much as who committed them but unfortunatley the co-incidence that ties the stories together is just too far-fetched. The characters have promise but I felt that they need to be developed to become more interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find!, 13 Feb 2010
Lady Susan Woods "Book Worm Woods" (Clifftop, Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Punishment (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved This One, Too, 21 Sep 2014
Lynda Kelly "Lynda" (Shipton Bellinger, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Punishment (Johanne Vik Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this one, the first in the Vik series. I've been reading the Hanne series and greatly enjoying them and was half wishing I wouldn't get them mixed up but they're both extremely different women so there's no danger of that. One thing I did especially notice was the translator for this series goes with English spellings which I prefer.
Something I wondered at which was probably a mistake was that chapter 15 in the table of contents was written this way but all the other chapters were written in roman numerals.
I got lost in translation when Pettersen in the green block was mentioned as I didn't really know what that meant. I've no idea what a children's ombudsman is, either, but Googled that. I got a little confused when the police were talking about people all the victims had in common as it wasn't really clear how they got this list together so I was baffled a bit there.The only mistake I spotted was Marie being used at one point and later on Maria so I still don't know Johanne's sister's name for sure-oh, and a rogue space in Kongs bakken at one point.
I liked Isak and Johanne's relationship and how things work for them both and I loved the name of Kristiane's puppy ! I laughed to myself each time that was mentioned.I felt for Aksel-his story was sad but wasn't the only one. My last remark at the end was "Pretty bloody sad all round, really".So much of what occurred could have been avoided if people had been kinder and more honest with each other which made you think.
I Will certainly be reading the rest of this series, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars good story, 28 Jan 2012
kittycat 2000 (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Punishment (Johanne Vik Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Anne Holt book I have read and I enjoyed it very much. I liked the fact that Johanne and her ex Isak had such a good relationship and I was also pleased to see that her relationship with Adam was progressing slowly, that they weren't tearing each others clothes off within an hour of meeting. Both storylines in the book were gripping but as mentioned by another reviewer the ending was rather unrealistic. That two stories that were quite separate throughout the book would suddenly overlap was a bit much to believe. I was sligbtly disappointing that an established author did not realise that this was a coincidence too far. However the story was exciting enough that I shall try other books by the author. I need to know what happens with Johanne and Adam.

4.0 out of 5 stars as much a "why done it" as whodunnit, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: Punishment (Johanne Vik Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
for those who, when a crime is commited, and after the guilty are caught, tried and sentenced, ask themselves, "but why did they do it"? my only criticism is that the final loose ends are too neatly tied together ~ but then, this is fiction and i would be being incredibly nit picky. would definately highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good plot, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Punishment (Johanne Vik Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This author shows the dark side of humanity, loosely based around a real life crime, it sends chills down my spine.

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting but not gripping, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Punishment (Johanne Vik Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
this book has an interestingly nordic flavour but was never really gripping and didn't deliver on detail which seemed a shame- enjoyable non the.less but not a recommend read

5.0 out of 5 stars Punishment by Anne Holt, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Punishment (Johanne Vik Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
If you have not read anything by this Anne Holt I recommend she is tried,I found her very interesting and will read many of her other works.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Punishment (Johanne Vik Book 1)