5.0 out of 5 stars Facing the Truth
I'm not usually a reader of romances but this book drew me in because I wanted to see how the subject of domestic violence was handled. I have to say the book dragged me in from the start and once started I couldn't stop reading until the end. The author took a hook and deprived me of my sleep.
Domestic violence is anathema to me and I am part of groups wanting to...
Published on 24 Sep 2011 by David. M. Prosser

1.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed Hannah's Blessings very much
I am just starting to read it now..... Enjoyed Hannah's Blessings very much. Will let you know when I have finished reading it.
Published 2 months ago by Irene Stephen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Facing the Truth, 24 Sep 2011
This review is from: Forever Sunshine (Paperback)
Domestic violence is anathema to me and I am part of groups wanting to see the abusers having the book thrown at them by the courts. This author brought the subject into the open in the right way. Not just describing the act of physical violence but also the mental cruelty that accompanies it and the use of guilt as well as fear that takes the abused back to the abuser time after time. All too real.
To have the heroine of this story relate her own life as an observer to the abuse and the changes in her own life as well was beautifully done and I'm only sorry that reality intruded and stopped there from being a happy ending. Life is like that.
The descriptions in this book should be a standard teaching aid for social workers and the police to understand what happens during domestic abuse and much as I'd like to say they were overdone it's not true and for that reason this is a compelling story not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have the tissue box handy!, 10 Aug 2011
Forever Sunshine by Collette Scott
Cherisse Bridwell is young and naive, and is focused solely on finishing her college degree and beginning her career. Her life changes in one evening when her sister Shelly turns up at her home. Shelly is in an abusive relationship. Shelly's husband comes to Cherisse's home and the police have to be called, that's when Cherisse first meets Sergeant Brandon Nicholson.
With the guidance of Brandon both Cherisse and Shelly learn how to get on with their lives through the many ups and downs and trauma's they encounter.
This book begins as a story of Shelly's abuse at the hands of her violent husband and how she attempts escape and a new life. The book deals with the subject of Domestic Abuse clearly and truthfully. It really is what happens, statistics back this up. It shows how hard it is to leave, how hard it is for the children to trust again. Then it flows into a whirlwind love story, that's so tenderly written, where everything is going perfectly only to be hit by a tragedy. The book shows how the characters pick up the pieces and carry on with life. Then finally it also deals with the danger of being on the police force.

This book may be a novel but it is so true to life, it could have actually happened. Brilliant book that I read in only two sittings! i have tried so hard not to give away any spoilers in this review that the only other thing I can say is "Get that tissue box handy ladies , because with this book you will surely need it!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Forever Sunshine (Kindle Edition)
What I thought was a romance turned out to be nothing of the sort I have never read a book that didn't end the way you assume, which is just how life is we should never assume I have cried many times watching films but don't think I have ever cried over a book this was very good but oh God so very sad and yet it made you proud, not going to bed yet unable to switch off have to think about this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever Sunshine, by Collette Scott, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Forever Sunshine (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful heartrending story of an all consuming love and loss that had me in tears so much that I struggled to see the writing. I can't remember when a story affected me so deeply before. Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars sunshine, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Forever Sunshine (Kindle Edition)
I really liked this story , highly emotional, I would reccommend you read this before the other " Evans books"

otherwise you get a link to this story and kind of spoils the end , have a box of tissues at hand

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Forever Sunshine (Kindle Edition)
Such a good story. Haven't cried like that in a long time. I couldn't put the book down.. Excellent reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gobsmacked!, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Forever Sunshine (Paperback)
What can I say? Not much when I'm gobsmacked - which is why I'm glad I've got a keyboard to speak for me. First off, I'm not the kind of reader to buy a book in this genre - not that I'm choosy or judgmental, I just normally read real-life stuff about blokes stuck halfway up a mountain with only a Swiss Army Knife to keep them warm, or hostages chained to a radiator in Beirut. When I came across `Forever Sunshine' in an internet forum and it rang bells with my interest in social issues - domestic violence, child protection, crystal meth (I'm a community worker) - I decided to give it a punt ... and I'm so glad I did. I rate my authors on how much they make me detract from day-to-day life and disappear to my reading space (propped up on one arm in bed, nine o'clock being a far more engaging read than ten o'clock) and this book had me retiring at every opportunity. In a nutshell, Cherisse, a young, pretty and hard-working student with bills to pay, realizes that she is out of her depth when faced with dealing with her sister's abusive husband and the sociopathic violence he unleashes upon his family without hesitation. In steps Sergeant Brandon Nicholson, a cool, calm and pragmatic young police officer who is completely unphased by the abuser's threats and who does a good job of both protecting and supporting Cherisse - and her sister - and hiding his romantic intentions towards her. With wonderful descriptions of Brandon's clean pressed shirts, alluring cologne, and their meetings over coffee, I wasn't quite sure which character I was most enamored to - just brought back all those feelings of the relationships I had as a young man serving my country! The plot was so true-to-life with its twist and turns and in-depth narrative, that having finished the book I felt compelled to email Collette Scott and congratulate her on what an experience she had gone through and survived - she told me it was FICTION! What?!!! What incredible writing for a first-time author! And when reading the last line in the book I think that someone must have been peeling onions or smoking Camel or something because my eyes got all kind of watery ... for the ending of all endings! Thank you, Collette Scott!

Chris Thrall is the author of `Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Drug Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland' - a memoir

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever Sunshine, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Forever Sunshine (Kindle Edition)
I did definitely recommend this book brilliant read, should have read this first before the Evans series. As it all ties in with the story line just waiting for the conclusion to be released.
Read this one first before the Evans series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and loss, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: Forever Sunshine (Kindle Edition)
One of the most emotional books I have ever read. Domestic violence and the dramatic loss of a young husband were both portrayed with great sensitivity. A sad story so have the tissues handy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed Hannah's Blessings very much, 28 Oct 2014