on 19 August 2014
I purchased these pads as I had made a complete mess of my Sony a77 sensor and translucent mirror. I foolishly tried to remove a large dust spot with a blower brush and made a complete mess. My test shot showed about 50 spots with thick bright streaks running across the image, my heart sank. I was sure I had caused irreparable damage to the sensor and translucent mirror, it looked horrific! I kid you not, you would have cringed at the sight and asked me what the hell was I thinking. Anyway, I purchased this kit along with a hurricane blower as I had read reviews stating that the pads would more than likely leave fibres on the sensor after completing the procedure. I would advise everyone to get a decent blower to use alongside these pads as you may end up very disappointed otherwise. It took a few attempts to get a result (not surprisingly) and I used 8 of the 10 pads in conjunction with the blower on both the translucent mirror and sensor and I am completely over the moon. I took a flash shot at f25 against a white wall and was absolutely amazed at what had been achieved, the shot was completely clear. Honestly! don't be afraid to attempt this DIY option because if this ham fisted idiot can do it, anyone can. It's also worth noting that you are not directly cleaning the sensor it's protective glass shield which is quite resilient and a reasonable amount of pressure can be applied. You won't clean a mucky sensor by just tickling it!
on 21 February 2012
This is so much cheaper than all other sensor cleaning kits I've seen online that I wasn't sure what to expect (equivalent kits seem to be more than £40 normally).

Anyway, I noticed that my sensor was fairly dusty (if you want to check yours, set it to the smallest available aperture, e.g. F22, and take a flash picture of a white wall; any dirt will show up on the picture). Then I made the schoolboy error of trying to clean it by blowing on it. If you're tempted, don't bother! Turns out that you can't avoid getting moisture on the sensor if you do that (even if you blow through a piece of cloth, which is what I did...), and the moisture leaves marks as it dries, making a worse mess than the original dust.

So I used a couple of these cleaning pads, each with a few drops of cleaning fluid (which you get lots of), and managed to remove all the marks. You can press reasonably hard on the sensor, the pads just bend so it won't get damaged.

There's a very small piece of dust I can't seem to get rid of, but it's not visible unless you're using a really small aperture.

All in all, considering the price, this is great. I'll buy more when I run out.
on 24 May 2012
I was disappointed to find my DSLR had dust on the sensor after 1 years careful use. But hey ho researched the subject and found I was amongst friends! I discovered a local company (if you call local 18 miles away) who will clean a sensor if you send your camera in the post. Not likely, too risky. However they also offer a while you wait sensor clean. I was tempted so I phoned them. While U wait is £42! and takes 30 minutes. That's an hourly rate of £84. Nice little earner - got me thinking!!

Being a thrifty sort of chap I chose this product instead because it uses a combination of lint free swabs and menthanol both recommended by many people. This kit was by far the cheapest and to all intents and purposes I found it works. One should not be afraid to have a go at cleaning a sensor. In my opinion the instructions were a little vague but with practice and by using up all but two of the swabs I managed to get most of the dust off the sensor. It can be quite stubborn to shift but I'm happy with the end result and would use this product again. Do not follow any advice that tells you to use a rocket blower inside the camera first. That actually made things worse. If you have more than a few spots of dust go straight to a wet clean like I did.
on 27 March 2013
Okay, you're thinking to yourself 'are these pads really any good and do I really want to do a sensor clean myself?' Well, let me tell you this - these cleaning swabs are extremely easy to use and they do an incredible job of ridding your sensor of any marks and/or dust. Basically, they do exactly what they say they will do and they work out at 1 quid per sensor clean - it's a no brainer!
My DSLR (Sony A700) is nearly five years old and I have never cleaned the sensor but recently when shooting some landscape stuff at very small apertures, I noticed that there were quite a few dust spots showing up in the images that were shot at f11 and smaller, so I opened up the mirror and gave it a good blow with a rocket blower but to no avail, in fact I'm sure I managed to actually move more dust onto the sensor! I then decided to try a 'speckgrabber' pen that I had lying in my camera bag for a few years but all I succeeded in doing was leaving a row of smudge marks along the sensor where I had dabbed the pen onto - nightmare!! Now I had a sensor that was not only covered in dust specks but also a few ugly smudge marks too.
It was now time for drastic measures. I phoned up three camera places for a sensor clean quote with the cheapest being 36 quid and I was seriously considering going to get it done when I came across these cleaning swabs on Amazon, which at 10 quid for ten swabs seemed worth a try - after all, my sensor was so bad I had nothing to lose and if they didn't work then at least I could say I tried everything before sending the camera off for a professional clean. Swabs arrived after about a week and with fingers crossed, I proceeded to apply the methanol liquid onto the swab and swiped it across the dirty sensor, then angled it and swiped it back again. It just seemed all too easy and too good to be true but when I locked my lens back on and took a photo of a white card at f22 to check for marks, I was amazed to see that all the smudges from the pen had completely disappeared and all but a couple of the dust specks had also vanished - woohoo! I then got out another swab, repeated the process and voila - no more marks whatsoever, all gone. Just to be absolutely sure, I proceeded to take a few more test shots which I uploaded onto my PC and even under great magnification, I could not spy any of the annoying marks that were giving me so much grief before using the swabs. So there you have it folks, two swabs = two quid = no brainer.
Do yourself a favour and give these cleaning pads a try before handing your camera in for an expesive clean - you might just get a cheap but pleasant surprise like I did and it wouldn't surprise me at all if your so called "professionals" in the camera shops use exactly the same technique...
on 14 May 2012
Very good product, took just two sticks to clear many nasty oil spots off by D7000 sensor, spotless. Will buy again, highly recommended.
on 19 February 2015
I bought this kit to clean the sensor of my Canon 40D. I have a rocket-type air blower and a sensor brush which I use to rid the sensor of any minor dust, but they were proving ineffective on persistent dust spots.
I had never cleaned a camera sensor in this way before, but following the supplied instructions was easy. It took 4 swabs to remove all of the dust to my satisfaction, but I don't think I used enough pressure with the first swab, being quite apprehensive about touching the sensor at all.
The only quibble I have with this kit is with the bottle containing the fluid, it seems to be made of a very flimsy plastic. Some of the fluid had already leaked out in transit. The dropper part didn't fit the neck of the bottle correctly, with the result that when the bottle was tilted in order to apply the '2 or 3 drops' of fluid (as per the instructions) to the swab, the fluid leaked out of the sides of the faulty stopper. This meant that cleaning solution ran all over my fingers and onto the work surface, which made it very difficult to measure accurately how many drops actually hit the swab.
The sensor was spotless after treatment, so I was satisfied that the kit works. But it may be worth doing what I intend to do the next time I clean the sensor, which is invest in some Eclipse fluid (which I understand comes in a much more robust container) and buy these excellent swabs separately.
on 17 October 2012
I wasn't sure whether to even attempt to clean the sensor on my camera. The advice always seemed to be - send it away to get it done professionally. I was therefore pleasantly surprised to find that, with a bit of care, it was quite easy to do.

The sensor in question was micro four thirds (Olympus E-PL2) & the kit was for APS-C (I couldn't seem to see one specifically for four thirds), but it still worked by sweeping top to bottom of the sensor instead of left to right as noted in the instructions.

I had somehow got a "large" spot that appeared at the top of photographs & the blower did not shift it. I had to use 4 of the lint sticks to clear it, but when I would have had to pay a local firm £36 to do the same thing, this kit represents a great value for money.

I would definitely recommend the kit and encourage anyone with a steady hand and good light source to clean their own sensor. It is not as difficult as it seems
on 1 June 2014
I had some oil spots on my Canon 600D sensor, so I thought I would try this cleaning kit. The main problem I had was that although following the instructions to the letter, the swabs left a lot of fibres floating around. I could not get rid of all the dust & fibres and used up all 10. My sensor was now much worse that before. As I was about to go on holiday I took the camera to a local independent repair shop and for not a lot more than the cost of this kit it is now perfectly clean.
I seem to be cursed with an ongoing accumulation of dust/oil on my sensor of my DSLR. I do change lenses quite a lot so I suppose it is inevitable that this will be an ongoing problem. Whilst there are camera shops which offer sensor cleaning, the cost is usually around £40 and you have the inconvenience that goes with it. Although I know quite a few photographers, not many of them clean their own sensors, and one person I know managed to scratch his sensor (or at least the cover) by doing this. However, after looking up some tutorials on YouTube, I thought that it did not look difficult to do, and opted for these cleaning pads. Despite a bit of anxiety beforehand, I found them pretty easy to use and the whole process took around five minutes. You can only use each pad once, and I got through more than half of them before the test shots no longer showed round marks in images, but that still works out a lot cheaper than going to a camera specialist, and given how straightforward and quick the process is, I think I would really begrudge paying someone £40 to do it. Now I have done it once, I will not hesitate to do so again. Recommend this product for those who dare.
on 23 December 2012
I use a Canon 1100D which I purchased in June, and after using it a fair amount on my Summer holiday and for other various things, I noticed the sensor started to get filthy. I bought an air rocket, but that alone didn't really get rid of the dust and dirt, so I turned to the internet to look for reasonably priced sensor cleaning pads. I looked at several different items which were all rather expensive (£40-£50), before I came across the Digipad camera sensor cleaning pads with fluid for a really good price of £10. I read all the reviews and felt a bit dubious about using these, but went for them anyway! I'm glad I did. I used 5 of the 10 pads with 2-3 drops of the fluid on each pad (the fluid does have a kinda odd smell!), and with the help of my air rocket too, my sensor is now as clean as a whistle! All the cleaning pads come in their own separate little bags, and there is plenty of fluid. The product arrived very promptly too, and comes with a set of instructions. I definitely recommend these cleaning pads, and I will be buying more in the future!