4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting discovery
Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen, Ph.D., LL.D., F.R.S., M.D., M.D.S. is a sort of experiment on the part of the author: what if there was such a person ... ? Dusen's prime (though not sole) characteristic is his commitment to reason above all things, much in the vein of the better-known Sherlock.

He has not the charisma of Holmes (but I wonder if that's...
Published 22 months ago by JK

3.0 out of 5 stars quite good
I downloaded this book as I read about the author, Jacques Futrelle, in the Max Allan Collins book The Titanic Murders and thought that I would try some of his stories. They were written over a century ago but enjoyed most of them and don't regret downloading it.
Published 11 months ago by Mystery lover

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting discovery, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Collected Mysteries of Jacques Futrelle (Halcyon Classics) (Kindle Edition)

He has not the charisma of Holmes (but I wonder if that's not prejudice on our part?), and there is no Watson character in the stories I have read to date. There is a distinctly European flavour to the style of Futrelle's writing (although he was an American), and a sense that one is reading a literary exercise, along the lines of something by Georges Perec, rather than a work of art. But it is none the worse for any of that, and I'm glad I've discovered the Thinking Machine!

3.0 out of 5 stars quite good, 27 Dec 2013