5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating character driven fantasy, 16 April 2014
This review is from: The Hallowed Hunt (The Chalion Series Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
If I had not read the previous books in this world I don't know if I would have liked it - it's disturbing (and more so if you don't understand the fictional world's theology), but also thoughtful and very interesting. I found every character brilliantly drawn and I couldn't put it down. I do think that readers will either love it or hate it. Only recommended if you have read an enjoyed the earlier Chalion books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up, 28 Mar 2014
I think Paladin of Souls is one of my favourite books ever and this is a great 'follow on'. As always Bujold writes great complicated flawed characters with humour and empathy. I will read anything she writes. More please

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 14 Feb 2014
I love the Chalion series (I love her Vorkosigan books too), and although this does not quite match the others, it is still excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Bujuld masterpiece., 30 Nov 2013
I actually read this in paperback, but it seems a shame that it's not been reviewed as an ebook.

I have yet to see any evidence that Lois is capable of writing a bad book; this did nothing to change my opinion.

When I picked it up, I didn't realise it was part of a series (something I quickly remedied).

I loved it. This is loosely connected to The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls, but at a different part of the timeline and in a country only distantly featured in that storyline.

It has all the Bujold hallmarks- complex and well-realised characters that make you delighted and frustrated by turns; a plot with subtleties interwoven; a plausible villain with a complex back-story and without too much chewing the scenery; action; a salting of humour and some tasteful raunch.

I read it at a single sitting, and went on to grab some more. Before this, I'd known only her Science Fiction (e.g. Shards of Honour - where I again found the one book to be the "gateway drug" to the rest of the series.

Highly recommended.

The Hallowed Hunt (The Chalion Series Book 3)