on 26 August 2012
Bought these for my cat as she likes to play with the ball in the speed circuit but can't quite get the hang of it (she's only a small cat). She loves these and is always chasing them around the house. They are surprisingly sturdy, had these for 3 weeks now and they have survived many, many whacks against skirting boards and furniture. Am definately going to buy some more.
I took the ball out of our cat speed circuit because our cat Oli was getting bored with the circuit. well, not a good idea as I couldn't find the ball again. (later recovered in a cupboard). Thankfully these were available and when they arrived I popped one of them into the circuit and it seemed brighter than the original ball. Oli has gained his interest back in the speed circuit and loves playing with it now. These balls certainly seem to be brighter than the original so maybe that is the reason he likes playing with it again.

Great item, pity they are a little pricey but I guess I better keep the spare one somewhere safe. I won't be opening the speed circuit again and removing the ball (that was not a wise decision LOL)
on 2 September 2013
Bought these for our new play circuit. With the hope of tiring out our latest addition to the family. This works a treat, she has hours of fun and can't resist a gentle tap each time she passes
on 17 July 2012
My cat likes these balls more than other LED balls, because they flash very brightly and faster than other balls, so they have more a strobe type effect especially when it is dark. The LEDS in them are red, not yellow or white as you might imagine. I also get them because they fit the Catit circuits and most other LED balls are too big.

Haven't had any problems with my cat being able to activate the balls like the previous reviewer, but my cat is a fairly large boy cat. They shouldn't need much force to make them flash, unlike something like a babble ball, so I wonder if the previous reviewer's product was faulty.

I don't like the fact you can't change the batteries in them without cracking the join in the plastic open. That said you can crack them open and replace the batteries with watch batteries from the pound shop ;) and either carefully glue or tape them back together, but they are much more fragile afterwards, so they need keeping an eye on when they are being used. They could have designed these balls so they screw or unclip open, but they obviously wanted to them to be a throw away product, which I guess is why you get two in a pack.

The batteries last a lot longer if you take the ball out of the track when it is not being played with. They seem to move about and start flashing when people walk past, or if there is a breeze or...

Not a good idea to put the original heavy balls in the circuit at the same time as these light plastic ones. Thea heavier ones can easier crack the LED balls if they knock together.

Overall I do think they make the play circuits more fun.
on 2 August 2013
Actually bought a pack of these to use with the Play Circuit as I didn't realise there were two different circuits. Have been using one with the original ball that comes with the Play Circuit and the kittens think it's great! They seem to have their favourite ball to bat round the circuit and have us in stitches with the antics they get up to. Well worth buying!!
on 21 July 2014
The balls may be yellow but the lights are red and flash in a strobing kind of way so caution should be taken with those with epilepsy ( no warning on the packet)

you have to hit the balls rather hard to make the lights come on, however the cats were not too bothered by the lights so no big loss.

They are slightly smaller than the non-lighting balls that come with the circuits, so move through the run more easily.

it is OK, but really you could buy some balls from the discount shope ( pound / 99p, wilko's or supermarkets) which would fit, and they would be just as interesting for the cats.
on 2 September 2013
The cat found it hard to get it flashing, I had to really shake it for it to work. :(
on 26 August 2013
Great, cheap upgrade to old circuit! Kitty loves it! Was hooked on old non glow balls. Now loves playing with new ones. Also if you take out of the circuit, just as much fun for them.
on 13 February 2013
The Illuminated Speed Circuit balls were bought for a Maine Coon cat (a very large breed) who adores flashing lights, so these toy balls were ideal. We haven't got the Speed Circuit, but we bought these to use alone.

The balls activate when jolted against something hard, for example flicking them hard with your finger, which of course a cat cannot do! A cat would activate them perhaps by sending them shooting across the floor into the skirting board. Otherwise they would need their owner to assist. When the balls are activated, the LEDs flash for a short time.

The balls are, of course, heavier than a pingpong ball. This is understandable - they have batteries inside and they are designed to glide around a Speed Circuit track. Some cats may prefer a lighter, simpler toy. Higher tech toys are not necessarily better when it comes to felines! However, the lights add some variety to the cat's play and this appeals to some cats.

The heavier nature and vibrant flashy lights appeal to the Maine Coon cat we bought this for and for us these toy balls have been a success. But, while the quality is good, the very nature of these toy balls might not appeal to every cat.
on 19 November 2015
So poorly packaged by seller with cello tape all over the instruction it's impossible to open without making the instructions unreadable. This make this product impossible to rate the product, I can't read the instruction or turn them on. As far as I'm concerned this make the product not as described an unusable. I'll be looking for a different seller.
review image