5.0 out of 5 stars Adventures in pre-communist China
Published on 27 Mar 2001 by W. Weinstein

3.0 out of 5 stars Missee Lee!
I'm afraid that I didn't enjoy this as much as the other 'Swallows' books.
I found it rather dark (after the childish innocence of the others'.)
My favourite (which I have read & re-read several times is 'Winter Holiday' and which I heartily recommend).
Published 7 months ago by Brian Rowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventures in pre-communist China, 27 Mar 2001
Once again Arthur Ransome comes up with a grand adventure for the children he introduced in his earlier books. This time they are sailing a small schooner through little-charted waters in the China Sea. After a disastrous fire on board, they are washed ashore, along with Captain Flint (Nancy and Peggy's Uncle Jim if you are not familiar with these books) on a small chain of islands, and captured by Chinese pirates. Those over-sensitive souls among us may find the depiction of Chinese natives, and the rendition of their accents, less than PC, but I read this book for the first time at the impressionable age of nine and I don't think it coloured my attitude to Chinese people in any negative way. What this books does, as superbly as all Mr Ransome's others, is convey the excitement that children feel if they are allowed a little freedom. Our poor children today, molly-coddled and over-protected by our anxious selves can only dream of adventures such as these. Luckily, they have books like this to transport them to such faraway places where we, as parents, cannot interfere.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's real Chinese pirates this time for the Swalows & Amazon, 3 Nov 2001
This review is from: Missee Lee (Hardcover)
In this sequel to Peter Duck,the Swallows & Amazons lose their ship in the South China Seas. When they reach land they make friends with some local pirates. Their leader is the Cambridge University educated female Pirate Missee Lee herself.
She is hospitible and even gives them their own house. But when it comes to leaving she will not let them go.
Finally there is a daring escape bid that will make it impossible for you to put the book down.
Amazing description and colourful characters, aided by the simple but charming line drawings, typical of the author, make this book that little bit more special.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amo, Amas, Amat: you cannot help but love this, 13 April 2011
Simon Brooke (Auchencairn, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
We know from references in other books in the series that the events of 'Peter Duck' didn't happen within the fictional lives of Ransome's heroes; rather, it's a metafiction - a narrative that they composed together in the cabin of an old wherry over the course of a winter holiday. There's no such intertextual reference to Missee Lee in the canonical stories, but nevertheless we know it is a sequel to Peter Duck. We know this because we find our heroes on the same little schooner that Peter Duck had helped them sail before.

So we know from the start that Missee Lee is also a metafiction, or rather, a metafantasy: a fantasy of a China which never existed but which, one cannot help thinking, should have.

Missee Lee is the most sustained comedy in Ransome's oeuvre. The first chapter gives us none of this: it's a rattling good yarn in the best tradition of rattling good yarns. But as soon as our heroes get ashore and meet the eponymous pirate queen, a twist no-one would have predicted takes the plot by the tail. Roger is discovered to have just one unique talent - a talent which none of the others had ever thought might come in useful; and throughout the delightful romp which follows, this unlikely talent is the one thing which saves everyone's life.

In summary, this isn't a 'Swallows and Amazons' tale like any other. It stands alone. It's more exotic, funnier, odder, and ultimately more poignant. But it is probably some of Ransome's finest story telling, and certainly his finest writing. And although aimed at a teen audience, this really is a story to delight any reader.

Read it, as they say, and weep - but weep from laughing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Half century later I still enjoyed it!, 10 Mar 2014
I read all Arthur Ransome's tales of the Swallows, Amazons, Coot Club and the Ds as a child and now, retired, I decided I wanted to reread all my favourite children's classics. I enjoyed Missee Lee just as much as the others and every bit as much as I had originally.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Missee Lee (Swallows And Amazons) (Kindle Edition)
Something just doesn't gel for me like Ransome's other books in the series. A curiosity compared to the flow of the story in the rest of the collection. The Kindle edition I downloaded also misses the last paragraph of my hardback which comes after "The End", where the fitting out of the junk with navigation equipment and arrival at St. Mawes is described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Classic, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Missee Lee (Swallows And Amazons) (Kindle Edition)
It's probably been nearly 30 years since I last read it, and it is still as enjoyable now as it was the first reading

3.0 out of 5 stars Missee Lee!, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Missee Lee (Swallows And Amazons) (Kindle Edition)
I'm afraid that I didn't enjoy this as much as the other 'Swallows' books.
I found it rather dark (after the childish innocence of the others'.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ranwsome book., 26 Dec 2013
Steven Jackson (U.K.) - See all my reviews
As expected,l excellent book. Well received. . one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good story, 17 Nov 2013
Jackie Brown "Mum" (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Missee Lee (Swallows And Amazons) (Kindle Edition)
We enjoyed this book, although we didn't think it was the best of the Swallows and Amazons. The story requires a bit more knowledge of the world than the others do, and is less fun, but still very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Missee Lee Review, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: Missee Lee (Swallows And Amazons) (Kindle Edition)
This is a very good book, in my opinion one of the best in thee series. I would recommend it to people who have read others in the series as it helps to know about the characters. Some funny moments are in the book too!

Missee Lee (Swallows And Amazons)