5.0 out of 5 stars That bear took a chunk out of my hand
Published on 30 Aug 2012 by mr t cannon

3.0 out of 5 stars good read
I read this book out of curiosity from reading the title. It gave a good account of the life of a young man who took a gap year to look after wild animals. The book also gave an account of life in Ecuador.
Published 10 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars That bear took a chunk out of my hand, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: That Bear Ate My Pants! Adventures of a real Idiot Abroad (Kindle Edition)
Did not even know this book was available to download........... I remember Tony saying he would write a book one day about his experiences at Santa Martha Rescue Center. What i did not realize was that 8 years later, it would be for me like a personal memoir with all the funny and crazy times we shared together. What a laugh we did have together, and Tony has nailed it very accurately in this book. I can only recommend it, its funny, and all the events in this book were just another (normal) day at the rescue center.

Toby

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thoroughly Entertaining Read - and a bargain at £2.99, 30 Jun 2011
"That Bear Ate My Pants" is a throroughly entertaining read - once I started it I found it almost impossible to put it down! There are comedy moments a-plenty, one or two extremely touching moments and lots of interesting stories that give the reader an excellent view into what it would be like to volunteer in an animal rescue sanctuary in South America....by the end of the book I found myself bemoaning the fact that I had never taken the opportunity to do anything like this and wondering whether or not I'm too old to try now (which I am).

Alongside the "memoiresque" account of experiences volunteering the book also give the reader an insight into South America itself, the people, the forests, the beaches.....and of course the amazing work done by animal protection agencies - who mostly seem to be volunteers.

Most of all I was captivated by the stories about the various animals that arrived at the sanctuary, their characters and behaviours as well as back stories were fascinating, and sometimes sad, but mostly they have happy endings as the staff at Santa Martha look after them with such devotion and some of them even get released back into the wild (one of my favourite chapters).

Definitely worth reading, maybe it will inspire you to go out and have a similarly life changing experience.....all I can say is I really want a wooden parrot...

5.0 out of 5 stars Armchair Adventure., 26 Feb 2012
I'd downloaded the free sample of this book and was so enthralled by Tony Slater's storytelling, that I immediately bought the book. And I'm delighted I did. I was drawn into his world by vivid descriptions of places, people and animals and I can see just how much he loved all the animals and being there. I found it to be one of those tales that I could not put down and read it from start to finish in one evening. I didn't want the book to end and I hope (quite selfishly) that Tony goes back to the rescue center and writes another book. I'd like to know what happens to Osita, Machita and all of the other animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 22 Feb 2012
PATRICIA PAGE (Belfast Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
a brilliant book.one of the funniest ive read.would recommend it to anyone with a sense of humour. i hope tony writes more

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably funny, wonderfully inspiring, 22 Feb 2012
Mr. C. McNish - See all my reviews
Before I acquired my kindle, this is a writing genre I wouldn't have looked twice at. 'That Bear Ate My Pants!' appealed to me for two simple reasons; its title, and also the fact it was free. And now that I've finished reading it, I'm left wondering what I've possibly been missing out on.

This has got to be one of the best books I've ever read. It has everything; humour - in huge doses, drama, sadness and even romance. But what really sets it apart is its passion and belief for a cause. It isn't merely the relaying of a number of anecdotes and explanations, but the story of many intertwined lives - human and animal - and how each affects the other. Its easy-going style of writing is hugely appealing; there are many expletives, but none of it is gratuitous - it simply reminds you that this is real life and just keeps you turning the pages, wanting to know more.

The one thing I did find truly outstanding as I read was the author's growing respect for everything, including the country itself; things often classed as important became little other than materialistic at best and so he adapted accordingly, with other simplicities such as arriving home in the dark unannounced making him blatantly aware he was now in a place that it could cost him his life. I have no doubt in my mind your perception of many things will change while you are reading this fascinating story that you just want to become absorbed in. If nothing else, it'll make you think 'I want to do that...' for a while.

A truly inspirational read, and a must if you're already planning to do something similar yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant laugh - had me chuckling on the bus home!, 22 Feb 2012
Oh my goodness this book is just so funny. My daughter read it first and sent me a text to say she was enjoying it so much that she was actually laughing out loud whilst reading it on the bus home. I couldn't wait to read it myself and I wasn't disappointed. I'm not usually a fan of comedy books - they usually bring a smirk and not much else, but this one is just great. A total laugh from start to finish with an underlying serious side in that the team at the animal sanctuary are actually doing a great job looking after the animals.
Should be made into a film - hope this is not the last book to be written by this author. He has a wonderful sense of humour.
Ann

5.0 out of 5 stars absolute gem, 20 Feb 2012
Ok.. I admit it.. Im a sucker for funny books..this one is a winner!! Within a couple of pages I was hooked.. the author is so good at setting the scene.. I was almost on that hot sweaty bus with him.I laughed out loud many times..I would honestly compare him with Michael Palin and his travels. I cant wait for the next book, Im going to check out the authors blog. I was sorry when I finished the book.It was a freebie but Id gladly pay for the sheer pleasure of reading it.This is one of the few books that I wont be deleting.I didnt realise that this type of animal rescue was so funny..I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and heartwarming, 20 Feb 2012
I bought this when it was free. It's not my usual kind of book as I don't read non-fiction very often, but it was about animals and meant to be funny (and free!) so I gave it a go. It was laugh-out-loud funny in places, very heartwarming, and inspirational. As it was non-fiction, I had a plan to dip in and out of it over a few weeks whilst reading my usual thrillers, but I read it in 2 days! I truely felt transported to the animal sanctuary, and was really sorry when it ended - I could have carried on reading for another 2 days!

I have read just over 100 books since I got my kindle 6 months ago and this definitely sits in my top 10 - highly recommended, and I hope it continues to do well now the promotion period is over.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a seriously funny book!, 14 Dec 2011
I love a good prologue that tells you what you are in for. Tony does not disappoint in his. It's clear from the beginning that Tony has had some seriously funny misadventures. The great news is that he is a totally competent author who can blend really good story telling with self-deprecating humor.

It all sounds pretty darn true too, even the almost monkey murdering. The bear, dog and dead horse almost made me want to visit. Not quite though. I suspect the swamp would not be as much fun as it's made out to be.

This is a fast paced, very funny, fabulous read.

I am not sure it makes me want to travel where Tony has been. In fact, I think I'll let him go on another trip and then read his humorous version of events rather than go myself. This is a great book that was funny all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A travel book for those who don't read travel books!, 13 Dec 2011
I don't read travel books. Never. But Tony's adventure in Ecuador (with and without pants) had me laughing, riveted and educated. He has an easy, flowing, natural prose that makes reading a pleasure, and he simply has a wonderful tale to tell. That bear ate my pants is a definite recommendation.