5.0 out of 5 stars A Christian movie in the style of Cecil B Demille
The story is about Esther, the lady who saved her people from being exterminated. It is one of the most popular books in the Bible, and this fim lives up to its promise.
Published on 20 May 2007 by M. Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good movie
I enjoyed the movie a lot, but I think I'd have to say as far as the story of Esther goes, I much prefer the movie "Esther" with Louise Lombard playing Esther. But that's probably just a personal preference, I prefer movies that stay as true to the original account as possible.

If you prefer something that's been "hollywoodified" then you'll...
Published 19 months ago by Jacqueline McCall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christian movie in the style of Cecil B Demille, 20 May 2007
M. Allen "m214463" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
In fact, the film derives its story line not from the Bible, but a novel based on the Bible, but a novel by Tommy Tenney, a well known Christian author and speaker. I5 follows the Biblical story, but with some extra additions.
The additions are not contrary to sceipture, but are more in the line of added people to the sotry. For example, Omar Shariff plays a
Persian general, who must have existed, but is not mentioned by name in the Bible account.
This is a prophesional production, a rare thing in so many Bible films. It is on a grand scale, all the buildings are huge, pretty well like you might think the capital city of one of the greatest empires in the ancient world would look like. The armies look big, there are set piece movements and the people are believable.
While stating the obvious, the story revolves around the love and LuKe Goss (Xerxes) for Tiffany Dumont (Esther). It is the clear chemistry between the two which makes this film, they look and act like a couple in love.
Peter O'Tooke as the prophet Samuel is only on screen for about 5 minutes. The narrator is John Rhyss Davies, as Mordechai, the uncle of Esther.
It is a film worth watching again. Sadly it has never been released in the cinema in the UK, and I had to buy from Amazon USA. but it is worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: One Night With The King [2006] (DVD)

If you prefer something that's been "hollywoodified" then you'll love this movie, it's got a good story line and all in all a very enjoyable movie.

If however you're looking for something closer to the original account then I'd personally say go for the "Esther" movie with Louise Lombard.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 23 Nov 2009
Paula Hill "minkusmum" (Fontanivent, CH) - See all my reviews
I've been studying the book of Esther and have thought what a great movie it would make. When I heard about this film I was very excited - the story of Esther shows so clearly God ar work in the lives of ordinary men and women to bring about extraordinary deliverance for his people. Finally we got hold of a region 2 version with Dutch subtitles. What a disappointment!

Firstly, the dialogue was often hard to understand (especially Hegai, who had a very deep voice for a eunuch!). Secondly, the story was mangled - the timeline was distorted, new people were introduced and historical accuracy was sacrificed. Part of the point of the story is that Esther is totally cut off from the outside world once she is in the harem, so how come she gets a visit from Mordecai in the film?

Because the story has been distorted so much with the introduction of an antipathy between Esther and Haman, the final scene loses most of its dramatic tension, and the final downfall of Haman is something of a non-event.

Not worth the time and effort we took to find it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutley breath taking, 16 Mar 2007
Antoinette Mba (uk) - See all my reviews
An excellent movie, the actors are brilliant and they really bring the story of esther to life. One thing i like about the movie is that its a true christian movie with no wordly extracts here and there. Most chritian movies have a lotta wordly extracts and dont stick purely to the word of God, but this movie has no compromise whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
Outstanding DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: One Night With The King [2006] (DVD)
I love this film and I have just completed a Bible study on Esther and the film helped greatly! Very well told and true the The Book!

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing true story, 9 Jun 2014
A. Turner "Christian" (Huddersfield, W Y, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Night With The King [2006] (DVD)
This family film helps us realise anyone, in the right place at the right time, may do life changing things for the good of many around us. Let's choose LIFE!

5.0 out of 5 stars dve, 21 April 2014
Ms. Jeanette Hayes "netty" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Night With The King [2006] (DVD)
This is an amazing story I love it very much. I have watched it several times and shall continue to do so. Esther was a very brave young lady

4.0 out of 5 stars Esther, 25 Mar 2014
A very well produced film from the book by Tommy Tenney

Acting was good and the message came over loud and clear

4.0 out of 5 stars One Night with the King, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: One Night With The King [2006] (DVD)
loved the film, acting and quality of the sets and costume details were excellent,my only problem is that I just couldn't get rid of the subtitles, so annoying I wish I could find a totally English version.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

One Night With The King [2006]
One Night With The King [2006] by peter o'toole (DVD)
7.83