5.0 out of 5 stars Made the right choice between Touchpad and iPad
Published on 2 Jan 2012 by Sally Lacey

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Tablet
This is not as good as it sounds. There is not as much freedom to change between one app and another as the blurb would have you think, as they tend to freeze or lag, and the number of apps available for this is severely limited.
The touch screen works well, but there is only a front facing camera so it is really only good for video calls and not for taking photos.
Published 18 months ago by J. Vance

5.0 out of 5 stars Made the right choice between Touchpad and iPad, 2 Jan 2012
I wanted to buy my husband a tablet for Christmas and deliberated for ages between the iPad and the HP Touchpad. As the prices were identical (well in Argos anyway), I made the decision purely on functionality. Two definite downsides to the iPad are that it is not a stand-alone tablet (you need to link it to a separate computer to register it initially) and the fact that you cannot view Flash websites on it as it is not supported by the Apple operating system. Plus with the iPad 3 about to be released I was worried that I would spend all that money and then prices would plummet shortly after, whereas the Touchpad had only recently been released.

With these things in mind, I went for the HP Touchpad and am very confident I made the right choice. Even better, when I came to buy it on Amazon it was about 40% cheaper than the iPad! My husband is absolutely thrilled with it, and has rarely been without it since receiving it. The great thing about it is when you turn it on it comes to life instantly, no waiting around for things to load up, you can be on the internet within one second of switching it on. The games you can download are great, the picture quality and graphics are seriously impressive.

Overall I think this tablet was superb value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Touchpad, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: HP TouchPad 9.7 inch Tablet PC (32GB, Glossy Black) - UK Version (Personal Computers)
What can a say! this is an amazing product, I absolutely love it. The apps are fantastic and something for everyone. I don't want play games or take pictures with my touchpad, I do want the Skype ability and it has that and the quality of video is excellent.

There is a language translator application that will post directly to email, another that calculates a restaurant bill and splits it by the number in the party. There are video apps, games, education the list is endless.

This fits comfortably into my day bag that I use for work. Some open wireless access is a bit fiddly to get onto such as open wifi in the library or the local pub but no different than to the ipad. Our library has special instructions to get ipad on and this is the same for touchpad. It will also tether to your mobile if you have an android phone.

I don't understand why HP stopped producing this product but I hope they continue with the apps and the support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic device and with the firesale definitely worth it, 23 Aug 2011
Now that HP have confirmed that they are not involved with creating tablet hardware, the price of the tablet is dropping below £100 (see Dixons).

The TouchPad once updgraded to it's latest operating system (3.0.2) is an awesome device, nice and fast, real multitasking and has a very good homebrew community (google Pre Central, I have already overclocked my device to 1.5ghz). The app store is relatively small, but it contains many of the big name games and all the apps I have downloaded so far are high quality and have not felt dissapointed. The Facebook app and Email app are awesome.

This is the perfect tablet for someone not looking to shell out £400 to browse the web comfortably, and the synergy of the system allows you to import all your contacts from gmail, hotmail, yahoo, facebook, linkedin etc. and automatically combines contacts that are in all the other places (so you dont get 4 contact entries because they ar ein hotmail, gmail, and facebook etc.)

There are a lot of reviews here for 1 star, but they are complaining about Amazon prices etc instead of reviewing the actual item itself. And please be aware that HP has stopped supporting the TouchPad hardware NOT the software, which means you will still see operating system updates and new apps in the catalogue. (Love the pivot magazine system they have for the app store)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not At Any Price!, 20 Dec 2011
M A Kane (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Just bought one of these(32gb)after much soul-searching. I am not a tech-savvy type but use my laptop and PC for shopping,reviews,news etc. I was a bit wary given that HP had dropped this whole area of development-all I can say is "what a shame"
After two days of playing with my TP I am so happy with it.I wont say that it is totally intuitive to use but its pretty near.
Lots of apps in the HP store and out in the WebOS community and speed and functionability are first class.
It looks high quality and the viewing experience is superb.
I am so glad I went for this Pad rather than the Android cheapies out there.
I paid a bit more than some of the prices quoted from the apres HP announcement in late summer but this baby rocks and BTW,the sound quality is the best of all those to which I have listened-better than iPad.
I think that the prices are now rising because of scarcity;so if you want a top quality tablet,look no furthur.
PS.And I have my Kindle app on it also:-))

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device at a bargain price, 27 Aug 2011
R. Sawhney "ravs view" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Dont pay any more than £115 for it seriously, HP are saying the will release some more soon. Now with the price issue out of the way here is what you need to do after you have brought this:

- Google "homebrew touchpad" - figure out how to clock it up. Got mine at 1.7GHZ and its soooo much smother.
- Realise it aint perfect, the app market is not bad but there are not many good quality free apps. Video playback is poor with the in device app, I am still searching for something that works here.
- Did I say clock it up!

Great device for web/email - hopefully for movies. Still needs a RDP client, think thats on the wish list of most touchpad users.

5.0 out of 5 stars hp touchpaddddddd!!! very impressed, 5 Sep 2011
S. Small (buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
big thanks to drop dead tech, very quick delivery this touchpad is in very good condition all bits accounted for well worth the money, the display is crisp, and the response to touch is spot on. i am very pleased sofar. :D this unit is far better than alot of tablets i`ve played with (i work for dsgi so i know) although it is very slow to charge. i am just preparing preware but will hold off to see how it performs without tweaking i have a dv3 (i5 version) with splashtop which i will control from the touchpad when the app is released. my advice to anyone who is looking for a tablet "look no further!" unless you like forking out over £[].

5.0 out of 5 stars HP webOS is great, 27 Aug 2011
R. Ripamonti Jnr "TheLastWord" (The Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
It seems to me quite a tragedy that the HP TouchPad didn't sell better than it did when released, because now after having used all three tablet operating systems, iOS, Android and now webOS, I feel that webOS is the best of them. I absolutely love the speed at which multitasking functions within the OS - the card system of organising open screens and programs is really quite ingenious. webOS is rather more user-friendly than Android Honeycomb and also, I feel, has a more sophisticated feel than Apple's OS. The on-screen keyboard includes numbers without requiring the pressing of a number key, a helpful feature.

As far as the hardware of this tablet goes, it does seem that it isn't quite as good as the software that comes with it. The physical tablet by no means is a disappointment, but admittedly weighs somewhat more than the Galaxy Tab and the iPad. The extra weight I don't find particularly noticeable in the hand however, due perhaps to the pleasing curve of the plastic backing which results in a shape that feels more comfortable in the hand than the more angular Samsung and Apple tablets.

All in all, it's a massive shame that HP announced that it will no longer continue its investment in the tablet industry, because I really feel that with some further development such as the addition of more apps, webOS would be a serious third option after Android and iOS. I suspect, as a result of HP's exit from the consumer electronics industry, that we consumers will be the poorer and Apple's shareholders the richer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing bit of kit at firesale prices!, 28 Aug 2011
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I bought a touchpad as part of the recent fire-sale which saw it being sold off at roughly 80% discount. At half price they are a bargain. At this price they are insane!
First thoughts inhand are that the touchpad is chunkier than an ipad 2 but feels a lot more robust. It also felt a touch slippy and like anything with a gloss finish is a fingerprint magnet. Featuring a 9.7inch display it sports the same resolution as an ipad 2 (1024x768). It also features a 1.2ghz dualcore snapdragon processor.

I find the webOS interface smooth and intuitive but you must update to the latest version as there are many performance gains to be had. With the latest version the entire device feels snappier and smoother. It features wireless N but no video out or dlna support. I found the browser to be the best I've used on a tablet, and found it easy to switch between sites. It even features Flash!

Video playback is very smooth but ntive support is slightly limited but I find that I use a free programme called handbrake to rencode video to under 1gig in size and the correct resolution, which doesn't take long on most pc's.

The downside is that obviously HP have discontinued this product which means anything in the way of future updates are at present unlikey. Overwhelmed by the response to the sale HP ahve been handing out free apps. And while the app store is limited there are still some solid apps to be had!

I think where this will shine in the coming months is when Andrioid gets ported over and the homebrew scene that looks set to blossom around it. I say `when' android gets ported as already a number of hack sites are offering rewards to those coders who can get it working. A bargain as is, once Android is onboard then this becomes an absolute steal!
Overall I am exceptionally happy with the touchpad but let's be under no illusion, price has played a massive role in this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Uploading movies the only minus, 19 July 2011
Diane Rhodes (Pembrokeshire West Wales) - See all my reviews
Bought this four days ago and very impressed except for one thing, putting movies onto it. Apparently it will onlyplay MGEG4 movies, no problem as I have conversion software. However if a file is over 1GB it will upload it onto the touchpad, but, will not play it. Everything else is a doddle, short movies look and sound fantastic, photos are gorgeous viewed on it, the sound quality is good, flash is a major plus and surfing the net is excellent. Not many apps as yet, but, enough for me personally, easy to download and use them. Apart from the issues with the movies I'm very happy with this item. If anyone knows how to resolve the issue please help! Oh battery power is very impressive too.

An update on the review. HP had a firesale where the 32GB was on offer for £115. I was disgusted and emailed HP to let them know how I felt, just as well I did as I found out HP were giving cashback on the difference for those who paid full price. I made my claim for the £364 difference, I provided all they asked and HP reneged on the offer, it took the threat of legal action for them to repay me, not cool HP, you should have paid up without that threat. The money was repaid quickly, but, anyone who bought a full priced Touchpad before mid August should check out the refund program on HP.com. But, be quick as it closes end of this month. The item is still awesome and to get it for £115 was a bargain despite the hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Touchpad 32GB, 10 July 2012
J. Rogers (UK) - See all my reviews
I was a bit apprehensive about the price at first (if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!)but my apprehension turned to delight when the Touchpad arrived well within the time scale. The product is intuitive and very user friendly. I urge anyone dithering about buying one to just get it. Never used an IPad but from what I've seen of them, this product is equally as good for a fraction of the price. HP have certainly come up trumps with this one. The only (slight) niggle is the slow start up time but if you ignore that then you have a great product, easy to upload photos, music etc.