Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£11.26+ £1.26 shipping

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 September 2013
I am a self-confessed 80s compilation addict, someone who literally cannot resist any collection of music from that decade, regardless of cost, quality or the fact that I've probably already got each and every track already a dozen times on collections that have managed to seduce me previously. I was trying to reform, really I was. And I was doing well, too. Until I saw this particular collection.

As soon as I saw 'Robert De Niro's Waiting', I knew I was in deep trouble. I managed to deploy a bit of logic, pointing out to myself that I did in fact already own that track, as well as most of the other ones on here, courtesy of all my other impulse purchases but it really didn't make any difference by that stage - I simply couldn't leave Siobhan, Keren and Sara behind.

Realising how weak-willed I then appeared to be, I quickly set about justifying this purchase to any bits of me that were still listening. It's true, the majority of this selection consists of the usual 80s compilation suspects. But there is more to this particular one than meets the eye, as the absence of '99 Red Balloons' and 'Down Under' can surely testify. Nena's 99 balloons seem to appear on 99 per cent of all 80s collections - to find one that has managed to somehow shake her off is a noteworthy event in itself.

As soon as I saw 'Star Trekkin' by The Firm waving enticingly at me from the depths of CD3, I knew I had the justification that I needed; what a cracking song that is! Alas, I do think The Goombay Dance Band stick out here like a musical sore thumb, but maybe that's because I associate their song with 'Cheggars Choice - The Worst Album On The Planet'. Which I also paid good money for, now I come to think of it.

The sound quality of this 3 disc set is excellent and the songs are, for the most part, ones that most people would identify as being popular examples of music from that era. They are presented in a nice order, and do the decade proud. The word 'Anthems' in the description means very little I think, since all sorts of fancy words tend to be used for these collections, in order to differentiate each selection of music from the next. Which, given the presence of Nena's 99 balloons on 99 per cent of them, seems like a very good idea to me.
on 7 September 2013
Bought this today on the strength of the amount of tracks for the price, 57 tracks over 3 discs, and to pander to my (guilty) pleasures in listening to the cheesiest 80s pop sometimes.

I'm happy to report that the pack delivers, and actually exceeds my expectations, and all tracks seem to be the original recordings, rather than what tends to happen on cheap compilations of "a member of the original band happened to be in the studio when we did this cover version" session albums of yesteryear. I believe this is due to UMV recently taking over the EMI catalogue, and taking the time to push out some hurried compilations.

I think the title could be seen to be contrary to the trade descriptions act, I really can't condone "Don't Mess With My Toot-toot" being described as a greatest 80s anthem, but it really falls into the "so bad it's good" category, and I see these boxed sets are more a catalogue of their times, rather than being carefully compiled to feature only the crème-de-la-creme. There are a few gems here that rarely appear on compilations, so I now have on CD for the first time.
on 22 April 2012
Good Delivery received in great condition. Had a great 80s party! everyone enjoyed listening and remembering. Platying Don't forget the lyrics. Would highly recommend.
on 16 June 2012
I bought this as a gift so have not listened to it myself, but all five CDs have a great selection of 80s music and it is nicely packaged so great value for money.
My brother (and me) are stuck in an 80's timewarp!! It's when we were young and carefree, and this compilation of cds reflects this! All our favourites are there, and I know that my brother will adore this. The 80's was a great time to be young, and the music was amazing. There are so many brilliant songs on this, and it's going to be a perfect christmas present for him. It was well packaged,and promptly despatched. highly recommended.
on 20 January 2014
Great value for money and brought back some great memories. Was a gift for my wife but I play it more than her!
on 18 August 2014
I have bought a few of these compilations recently, must be having some sort of mid life crisis. This set is probably the best that I have. A really good mixture of 80's tracks which I remember so well. Quality of sound is good, compared to some which are allegedly re-mastered and sound terrible. I would recommend this set to any body who have lived life to the full in their younger days. Very happy with my purchase.
on 19 February 2013
Having appreciated the great music that came out of the end of the 70s, I didn,t think music could get better, but the 80s were brilliant. 80s pop has some good sounds on it, right through the decade. There are certain songs on it I wouldn,t have put there, like Bros and NKOTB and Amazulu, but if you like their songs then its for you. What I liked is the inclusion of songs like love resurrection by Alison Moyet which hardly gets put on compilations and Sophia George from 1985, Split Enz and Propaganda, to name a couple more good artists. There is a good range from 1980-89, but there are still some fabulous songs that all these compilations seem not to want to include, I could give you another complete cd if I really thought about it. All in all 80s pop is a good buy.
on 16 May 2014
This was first 80s CD have bought. If you like 80s music in general this is of some use but not reallly the exciting 80s tunes I hear on radio and was hoping for. Maybe they are all such a mix but next time will go for something little more expensive.
on 13 June 2013
To be in that ERA..Boy was that COOL or What! Some songs in the 80s could give ya chills & at the same time make you Happy. Don't wait around for that moment..NOW is the time to enjoy yourself, Treat yourself & Indulge The Ultimate Collection [100 Hits] CD-What a Whooper of Hits after Hits YEAHH!! Thats what you want to feel alive JUMP out of your Skin cos this is no BOX of Tricks, its the 80s & its how I become the Xciter Pop! Artist TODAY. Ultimate means Ultimate..I know-I was there in FULL 80s FASHION..the smell of that ERA..NOW IM HERE! SOMEBODY'S WATCHIN ME? Rockwell & MJ Kick it 3 TIMES cos this CDs HOTaaah!!