5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. But not a wheel!
Published on 28 Nov 2011 by J. P. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes Forza 4 play like Mario Kart
My Xbox Force Feedback wheel is a big bulky old thing and lives in a cupboard meaning it doesn't get as much use as it deserves. The wife thinks it clutters up the room. So I was pretty excited when I saw this small wireless wheel come out.

Published on 15 Oct 2011 by SoftDog

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. But not a wheel!, 28 Nov 2011
J. P. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
I bought one of these a few weeks ago and I think it's excellent! To me it bridges a gap between the standard xbox 'bat' and a full on wheel. It's never going to replace a wheel but after playing for a few weeks with it, I now find using the standard controller rather frustrating. I'm using it with Forza 3, Dirt 3 and Dirt 2, along with various other driving games. Soon to be Forza 4 as well. In the case of Forza 3 & Dirt 2, I basically replayed them using the wheel and yes, the lack of shoulder buttons can be a pain but for actual racing it's tremendous and I've had immense fun playing these again with the wheel. Rallying is just fantastic with it...

It's a good weight & balance. These people who're moaning about aching arms need to lift some weights and man up! Considering it's costs a few quid more than a new controller, the price is spot on... I must say it took a couple of evenings and a bit of cussing & swearing to get 'my eye in' but after that it's a pleasure to use.

Even with the lack of shoulder buttons, I'm giving it 5 stars. Purely because it's a load of FUN!!!

Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes Forza 4 play like Mario Kart, 15 Oct 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) (Accessory)

When it arrives it feels high quality. It is made of glossy black finger print magnet plastic with matt plastic hand grips. The D pad is on the left side of the wheel and the A B X Y buttons on the other. The 2 triggers are on the back of the wheel. The Back, the Xbox button and Start button are on the centre dial. As many people have pointed out, no LB and RB. And no headphone socket so you can't speak to people on multi-player. The wheel looks good and the ends light up green when it is on. It is a little small in the hands and quite light but feels well made.

I bought the wheel on offer with Forza 4 and was very excited to try it. But nearly immediately I felt let down. Before racing I decided to put my custom decals on the car but couldn't as the selection of options on the painting mode require selection by the LB and RB. Which the wheel doesn't have. You have to turn off, use the Xbox controller to do the customisation and then restart with the wheel on to drive. This is a significant let down.

But you buy this for the racing. And here it feels disappointing. It's responsive enough and the triggers are well placed and well balanced. But waving the wheel around in the air quickly becomes tiring. After a few races you end up with your elbows on your knees. When you bump into people you get a rumble but of course there's no force feedback that you get on the bigger wheels. The wireless wheel feels detached from the game. With no feedback from the bends, no resistance into a corner it quickly feels considerably less responsive than the standard controller. And not even a shadow of the force feedback wheel. You end up weaving around more and it takes more time to swing the wheel than the control stick. So end up doing worse in the game.

To summarise I would say that the wireless wheel is the worst option when playing a simulation race game. It's fun for a bit, but the fun wanes quickly when you start to lose races and the excellent game begins to feel like an arcade game rather than a racing simulator. The standard Xbox controller has resistance in the sticks, a better sense of rumble and you can customise the car using it. The Force Feedback wheel is bulky but you get a real sense of being there. Direct response on bends and impacts and racing surfaces. The wireless wheel feels vague, is tiring to use and changes the feel of a simulation race game. Had I tried it in a shop first I definitely wouldn't have bought it. My Force Feedback wheel is back out of the cupboard and I'm back loving the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really responsive and a cheap alternative to more expensive wheels, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
As much as people seem to be complaining about the lack of bumpers, I haven't encountered a scenario where things couldn't be remapped in an intuitive way. In terms of responsiveness, it is far more responsive than I was expecting. It is also perfectly weighted which keeps the wheel nicely balanced in the hands. I've considered buying more expensive wheels and although this will never compare to those, it is a great way to add a bit more control and have a bit more fun with racing games for a completely reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't disregard it just because..., 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
Yes, it doesn't have LB and RB buttons.
I was given this as a present and was ready to take it back and exchange it for something else but I thought I'd buy a couple of cheap driving games to give it a fair chance.
I tried it with F1 2010, Forza 3 and Dirt 2.
The wheel really enhances the gameplay and adds a new challenge to the races, especially when combined with the in-car view.
The driver on screen was matching my steering in all 3 of these games, in terms of how much I turned the wheel and how fast.
It's easy to correct a bit of oversteer using a flick of the joystick, but when you're using the wheel you'll find yourself leaning, twisting and throwing yourself around in order to stop yourself going backwards into the sand trap or flipping helplessly off a cliff.
In all of these games there's a need at some points for the bumper buttons, but you can change the button configuration on most games. On Dirt 2 for example, I didn't need the button for the horn during races so I reconfigured the B button to change views. There are ways of getting around it.
Don't expect it to work amazingly on games such as Driver SF or GTA because it just won't. It's a steering wheel...for driving games!
Only other thing was I found the battery cover difficult to remove and there weren't any instructions on how to do so.
Minor issues I suppose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - but needs a bit of getting used to, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
I bought this to use with Forza 4 because I found the standard controller joystick difficult to use for fine steering control, and I wanted something that wouldn't take ages to set up or take up lots of space when not being used like a normal steering wheel with pedals etc.

I have never used a steering wheel / pedals on a video game so can only compare the use to a standard controller. Using this wireless speed wheel has totally transformed the way I play Forza. The control is much finer and I am now balancing steering and throttle on corners, can feel and manage under and over steer more easily and the whole thing feels much more realistic than with a standard controller. It really is almost a different game with this controller.

However, when I first used it I was on verge of sending it back because the cars were almost uncontrollable - suddenly spinning out on long corners, felt like deadspots in the steering movement and generally all over the place. It took an evening of hot laps to get the hang of it so be prepared - it takes some getting used to but is a much better experience than a standard controller.

The construction is fine - not quite as robust as the standard controller but not bad. I didn't have any problems with tired arms as reported in some other reviews but I don't tend to play more than 60-90 mins at a time. The lack of RB/RL buttons is a shame as there is plenty of space to have put them, but at least on Forza it is not too inconvenient. It means you can't change camera view without going to the menu but I don't tend to do that much anyway.

One nice touch is that the green rings on the two ends of the controller light up - the left hand one flashes when there is a gear change.

Overall I would definitely recommend this but be prepared to persevere with it as it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic win versus Epic fail., 26 Nov 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
If you're reading this, then you're probably like me. It's just not practical or possible to own a proper wheel and you want to know if this thing is better than a controller for driving games. Having used it for a few days now, I can tell you that it is, but as you may already know, some idiot forgot to put all the buttons on it.

The design meeting must have gone something like this. "So lads, we've made a quality feeling device. Well balanced, better longer triggers than on the controller, and more precise in the turns, but there's a problem. Somethings gotta go. It's either the fundamentally important L/R shoulder buttons or the silly, pointless green lights on the top. So we're all agreed then, out with the shoulder buttons. Oh, and no one really needs a mic do they so let's cut that too"!!!!

Seriously though, once you set it up right in the menus and get used to it, this thing really is quite good. I bought it primarly for use with F1 2011 and Forza 4. Despite what you might have read, it is actually possible to configure the wheel satisfactorily without the LR shoulder buttons for the driving element, even with manual gears, DRS, KERS, etc. The problem comes when you're not driving. Want to fast forward time while in the garage on F1? Forget it. Want to tune your car set up in Forza? Can't be done without the shoulder buttons. Totally unforgivable, especially for Forza as it's made by a Microsoft first party studio! The only way round this is to turn off the wheel and turn on a controller, then switch back when it's time to drive. This gets old fast!

Another issue is that the rumble/vibration seems to be much weaker than on a pad, even with it set to max in the options. Indeed, Forza 4 has no rumble at all but this is a know bug that should be fixed so no fault of the device itself. Despite these major flaws I'm still glad I got one, which should tell you how good it could and should have been.

Just thought I'd add my settings for both games which might help new owners of the wheel.

F1 2011
Steering sensitivity 60%
Steering linearity 25%
You can use manual gears by mapping them along with KERS and DRS to the X, Y, A, B buttons. Use the Back button for car status and access instant replays from the pause menu. Set up like this, the only thing you can't do is look behind but the game has very good arrows to show where others cars are so it's not a problem for me.

Forza 4
The problem I mentioned before where you got no rumble has now been patched and fixed. I find the default advanced settings fine and use configuration 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic alternative to a full wheel setup. Also works on PC., 23 Oct 2011
This review is from: Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
I bought this wheel mainly for F1 2011 and because I didn't want to set up a big wheel and pedals every time I wanted to play. This wheel is fantastic and everything I could have hoped for. With a wireless receiver it works flawlessly with my Windows PC. It's easy to set up, detected in game and after changing a few wheel settings I was having a blast playing with it. It's so much more fluid and intuitive than a regular 360 controller.

It's true it has no LB and RB buttons but the control scheme in F1 2011 altered itself automatically to change to fit the wheel so LB and RB were not needed. The steering is extremely tight and accurate for a wireless product.

If you want a wheel that you can just have some fun with with no set up required, this is the wheel for you. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not made for F1 games, 14 Oct 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
I tried the wheel with F1 2011 and it is not made for it.

There is no RB button and you cannot fast forward the time in practice or qualifying modes. Also, if you setup the A and X button to change the gears (since you don't have RB and LB) you are left with Y and B for KERS and DRS with no more buttons for other functionality (like car status, looking back, etc...).

Feedback is inexistent, just some simple vibration like a normal controller.

The only positive notes are the steering response and the long triggers to accelerate and brake.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid like the Plague - Only useful if you like a Wii Wheel!, 28 Jan 2013
C. P. Dyckes "Colin" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
I already own several racing wheels, including everything from a Logitech DriveFX all the way to the top of the range Fanatec CSR Elite with pedals and a full race seat setup. Non of these wheels put the D-pad or ABXY buttons in easily accessible places whilst steering, especially the Fanatec.

I bought this solely in the hope that it would let me play F1 Race Stars and similar non-Forza/F1 racing games quickly and easily without getting out the full race seat and wheel, and hopefully give me finer steering than possible with a standard controller.

I didn't expect it to be even in the same league as any of the above wheels, but I found it simply unusable.

I fully realised before buying that it was a freestanding unit, with no stand and thus no 'pivot point', but my arms ached after just a single 2 lap race in F1 Race Stars, the wheel has no sensitivity adjustment, and you need to rotate it a very large amount whilst just holding it vertically in your hands/arms.

I really wish I could give this a good review, as I do really like Microsoft products, but I can't honestly recommend this unit to anyone.

If you want a racing wheel, buy ANYTHING except this!

I wish I could return mine, but I don't believe even Amazon are that generous in their return terms, even though I would say it was 'unfit for purpose'. If you really want this 'wheel', make sure you try it in a shop for at least 5 minutes before buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for F1 games., 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
I couldn't do jack with a joypad, so got one of these speedwheels. (used from cashconverters via amazon, great condition too, speedy service )

Tips. Set the advanced wheel options to get your preferred steering sensitivity on the linear movement etc. Makes you less nose twitchy and no more fishtailing and black flags..... lol... well, a few less.

Since doing that within a short while I could capture pole at Silverstone and take Schumaker on inside bends. Yes ! OK I still came last , but for a while , I had pole !!

I'm certain if I play beyond my first hour, I'll soon get a podium finish in a short race .

A great and vital step up from the humble joypad. Apparently you can configure manual gear changes to the xyab buttons etc. But I'll look at that when I become more expert.

Have fun.

Ace Man JD . :)

Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360)
Wireless Speed Wheel (Xbox 360) by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
27.49