Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.69

on 16 October 2006
Absolutely loving this album!Bought it after seeing them on the Jonathan Ross show and thought it would entertain me in the car on a journey home. Could have been a shopping mistake but most certainly was not. Some tracks are a little bit similar, but still its def worth a listen. 'Listen up' and "Standing in the way of control" are ace. They are all ace.
on 25 May 2007
Firstly re Tenpennys review: Why Beth Ditto's sexuality or size is relevant or worthy of comment here I fail to grasp. Don't allow the homophobic/sizeist prejudices of this person to put you off what is a very raw and energetic album. Get tapping on Amazon and find out for yourselves!
on 3 March 2006
The cover of this album is very off putting, it looks like something a ten year old would make. Ignore that and give it a listen. This band has a great singer, a strong female voice. The music has a punky edge with a funky rhythm. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 7 January 2008
I've wanted this since seeing their barnstorming rendition of "Standing in the Way of Control" (SITWOC) on the tele from Glastonbury 2007 and while the album didn't quite get to that level (how could it) it was a joy to listen to.

They've a clean raw sound (not over produced) I really liked. The bass line is dominant through the record and often gives it a funky, pop and fun undertone that makes it a bit different. Drums and guitar give the song some rock oomph and, while voice quality is not always important for me (i.e. The Smiths and The Wedding Present), what a voice Beth Ditto has to give the songs an extra slice of quality and big dollop of passion.

If you mix up a fair bit of The White Stripes and their overall sound production, the funkiness of The Scissor Sisters, a dash of Electric Six and Aretha Franklin in a tetchy mood you could well end up with something like this record. (That's meant to be a good thing.)

SITWOC is the stand out track on the record and most of the songs are in this funky rock style and you hear elements of this key song in a few of the others but you'll get that with any band. "Eyes Open" heads over to glam rock territory. "Coal to Diamonds" and "Dark Lines" are the slow, even more minimalist, songs of which the former I liked least but even that's grown on me a lot.

The bonus remixed tracks of "Listen Up" and SITWOC are good fun with the former being a more soulful disco rendition and the later heading towards high energy disco but really I'd have prefer live versions of the songs. Recordings from Glastonbury would have been heaven and definitely stopped me umming and ahhing about 4 or 5 stars.
on 15 February 2007
I first heard 'The Gossip' on the Jonathan Ross TV show and was bowled over by the lead singers voice, what a voice! So an investment into the current album had to be made and it was money well spent.

The album boasts 10 track of pure rocky brilliance. On the track 'Listen Up' you truely do listen up, as Beth Ditto's commanding vocals capture everyone's attention. 'Standing in the Way of control' another highlight truely exploits the range of Ditto's voice as a previous reviewer said, very reminisant of Joplin and Plant (if that is possible). There are more soulful moment with 'Coal to Diamonds' and 'Holy Water' which help vary the tone and shows the versatility of the group.

A truely exciting album that demands repeat listens. Listen Up!
on 1 August 2006
This is a genuinely good and interesting album. The singer is impressive and can carry changes in mood and tempo very effectively so that the music ebbs and flows really well and just sounds quite funky. She also has some excellent tunes to compliment her vocal talents (Standing in the way of control, Yr mangled heart) and a capable backing from the band. I heard this album playing in a clothes store in California and a loads of people were intrigued about what it was. So was I. Now I know. It's really good. Spread the Gossip.
on 25 October 2009
Standing in the Way of Control

A better than expected listen. To be honest, I had dismissed this band due to the hype surrounding their singer's size/weight/antics on stage. On finally listening to this CD, I was immediately taken with the, in my opinion, good, old-fashioned guitar rock songs coupled with a singer whose voice perfectly complements the band. There is no filler on this CD. Every track deserves its place. I might have been late in getting round to this band, but I'm glad I eventually did.
on 7 April 2009
What a great sound!!
Everyone new the hit "standing in the way of control" thats how I bought
this Cd, But what a great treat to get nine more stirring tracks full of that spanking voice and good tunes.
If in doubt buy it seriously.
on 19 November 2006
I loved this album.Beth's voice is full of soul,sharp wit,compassion and dominating overtones.My faves are "Fire With Fire,"the first track and "Dark Lines",the last one.Gossip have just completed their second British tour and have made their mark now with this album.Have a listen to it,you'll admire this band for their positive stance.
on 5 November 2015
Probably a one-off but there is a strange stalling effect part way through " Dark Lines " on this CD. This is the first fault I've had on the hundreds of CD's, new and used, I've purchased over the last few years, apart from the occasional damaged case!! I won't return it but just be aware of the possibility of a fault on this, the de-luxe edition with two bonus tracks. No problems with the standard edition subsequently purchased. Didn't like the bonus tracks anyway!!