5.0 out of 5 stars Hats off to Mr Nexus
Game Night, the debut novel by Jonny Nexus is a work of absolute genius, and is definately ranked as one of the most fun and enjoyable books I've read in a long time, and in my opinion is at least as witty as the likes of Terry Pratchett.

Published on 23 Dec 2007 by A. Skeet

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall good.
Reviews of this book have claimed that it has an air of Discworld about it. I'd agree with that, especially Pratchett's early work; its plot is similarly chaotic and the comedic style is similar.

Published on 2 Mar 2008 by Luke A. G. Palmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall good., 2 Mar 2008
Luke A. G. Palmer "Luke Palmer" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game Night (Paperback)

I bought the book based on my reading the first chapter on the author's website, which I found very amusing. While I have never played a tabletop role-playing game, I certainly know the sub-culture and understand the references.

There are a couple of criticisms I'd like to make. First, some of the jokes are a tad repetitive. One or two of the wittier ones became dull with repetition. Secondly, I found the rather abrupt ending (to the game, not the book itself) a tad upsetting. Without giving anything away, one never enjoys watching heroes struggle valiantly only for something to render their efforts moot in some way. A third criticism is that sometimes the pace at which Nexus switches from the mortal realm to the OverWorld is a bit too quick for comfort. However, this is in all likelihood a formatting quibble rather than a narrative one, since on these occasions I often found the book amusing.

Overall, I'd say I liked this book, and would recommend it to any RPG-ers out there.

EDIT: I am now a tabletop gamer, and so I've been able to appreciate the jokes a little more. However, I have downgraded my rating to three stars because the humour and cohesiveness degrades too quickly throughout the novel for it to warrant four.

3.0 out of 5 stars Guffaw or run for the hills, it all depends on whether you are already a gamer, 17 Nov 2008
T. Lewcock (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game Night (Paperback)
I saw the book in a gamers shop, lying demurely amongst various other gaming materials. The tag line jumped up and hit me, albeit it with less force than a super-powered character with too many dice for whatever statistic is used to determine hit capability... I didn't even fully read the words on the back of the book, you know, the ones that are put there to help you make up your mind if you want to read the book. Not that it would have helped, the tag line had already sold the book to me. Oh, if you haven't already spotted it, the tag line is: "Six Gods sit down to spend an evening roleplaying. Really badly.".

Having roleplay gamed for a fair few years now I reckon that I have a bit of experience to draw on when comparing this book to gaming groups, and I defy any experienced roleplay gamer to not associated someone or some event from their gaming experience with story.

Most disappointing is the quantity of typos. Well, actually there are not too many actual typographical errors as such. Although any typos in a book are distracting, the most distracting 'problem' with the text is that there seems to have been trouble translating the "fl" and "fi" letter pairs into the text. In the 'old', lead type, days these letter pairs would have been produced using special individual 'characters' (referred to as ligatures). Unfortunately somewhere along the line this book fell through some sort of typo black hole as all of these particular ligatures resulted in gaps in the text, making it very distracting to read, even once I figured out what had gone on. This is a shame because I found the book otherwise amusing and can only be explained by either shoddy editing or a wholesale lack of proof reading the final product.

I disagree that the book is Pratchetesque; but can understand why some others relate the two. Terry's style of switching between scenes is very similar to the way Jonny switchs between the dialogue of the Players and the actions of the Characters. Although in Nexus's book this is more from necessity to accurately reflect what goes on in many, if not most roleplaying sessions; if you've ever roleplayed for more than ten minutes you should know what I'm talking about. However, this is as near to comparing Nexus's ability to Pratchett's as I may dare to come; Mr Pratchett is magnitudes above Mr Nexus. It's not that I want to put Jonny's ability down, you just need to have a realistic expectation and this work is a far cry from Terry's best work.

The 'in jokes' abound throughout the story, which if you have not yet gathered, centers on a group of Players and the Player Characters (PCs). The Gods are the Players, their PCs are 'mortals' in the game world. The story follows the PCs as they struggle to overcome the challenges set them by the Gamesmaster, in this case the 'Allfather', the God who created the world, as the Players know it. Or perhaps it follows the Players as *they* struggle to overcome the challenges...

Experienced gamers will sit and nod sagely as they read, in between holding in various degrees of chuckles or just plain letting loose with great guffaws. The unitiated, however, may be put off ever getting involved with roleplaying gaming as Mr Nexus seems to have drawn upon the worst traits of all the worst gamers that one may have ever gamed with. Although I can both associate and sympathise with the situations and characters I believe that I can truly say that I've never known a group of players to ever include all of the players in this particular game.

Although the book is set in what would traditionally be referred to as a Fantasy realm, sci-fi gamers will still be able to associate with the concepts of the story.

Despite the shoddy editing, this book has a lot to offer, just don't try to use it to encourage a non-gamer a start gaming, you'll scare them away forever! I'd give this four out of five if they fix the typos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hats off to Mr Nexus, 23 Dec 2007
A. Skeet "SIN" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game Night (Paperback)

The humor is 100% spot on right from the start and is both consistant and continuous thoughout. The comical flavor is wonderfully delivered and is what I would say is a kind of mix of 'Red Dwarf' and 'Discworld', parodying 'Clash of The Titans' and the Roleplaying Genre in general, as well as including some hilarious 'real world' references. As a non-roleplayer it's a funny novel. To a roleplayer, or someone who has/used to play the likes of 'Dungeons & Dragons', it's simply a must have.

All in all I thought this book was a gem, and although there are a fair few typos, it's a shame there are not more books of it's kind - Hopefully something Mr Nexus will remedy in the near future!

Seriously, if you read this book and don't crack a smile - Check your pulse! It really is that funny...

...And if this novel is anything to guage the author by, I'll be keeping a very close eye out for any future publications from the talented Jonny Nexus.

2.0 out of 5 stars A good idea, stretched too far, 5 May 2009
Quicksilver (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Game Night (Paperback)
First off, if you've never played an RPG before, stop reading this now; click onto another page, this dainty is not for you. If you've role-played, but didn't really enjoy it, you'd better leave too. Still with me? OK then I'll begin.

The premise of this book is that a set of Fantasy Gods are role-playing; controlling characters in the 'mortal realm'. The narrative is split into two parts that run parallel to each other. One narrative deals with the mortal heroes' quests, as controlled by their players, the other details the squabbling of the players around the gaming table.

The sections that deal with the players around the table are much the stronger of the two, and portray very accurately, the bickering and in-fighting, that seems to occur between game players. The fantasy story, was neither terribly interesting, nor all that funny and failed to sustain my interest; all I was interested in, was reaching the next section that starred the gamers themselves.

There are some laugh-out-loud moments, but they were few and far between, and become rarer as the novel progressed. There is a great deal of repetition of humour and ultimately there is only one joke; that gamers are annoying, particularly to the Gamesmaster. I didn't make it through to the end, so perhaps the book got better, but after 100 pages (about halfway), it had all become rather tedious.

To give the review some context, I found 'Bored of the Rings' guilty of exactly the same problems (in fact I thought Game Night was better), so perhaps this sort of book just isn't for me. Although an entertaining idea, 'Game Night' didn't seem to have the legs, to last the distance of a full novel. Fantasy comedy is clearly a difficult thing to get right. Reading this book has made me appreciate Terry Pratchett all the more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny read!, 15 July 2014
Simon Mcdonald "simon" (Sinagpore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game Night (Kindle Edition)
Reminds me of all those awkward situations when DMing. He gets it very right. Interesting book concept.

4.0 out of 5 stars So funny I bought it twice, 10 Jan 2013
Jane E. Nicholson "Jane" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game Night (Kindle Edition)
... and then talked a friend into buying a third copy.

If you've ever been part of a frustrating gamer group, this is the antidote. Hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for D&D gaming fans, 10 July 2011
Mr. K. Lutener "Lorfarius" (Glossop, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game Night (Kindle Edition)
Strongly reminded me of Terry Pratchett and the humour is spot on. For this price you really can't complain and people should always support up and coming authors :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really rather good, 2 Jan 2008
B. Antill - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game Night (Paperback)
It's a shame that if you are not a role-player that a lot of the humour of this book will be lost. But if you are, it will probably be one of the funniest books you ever read. The situations will be oh so familiar to those of us who have wiled away many an evening with the polyhedrons.

It's a well crafted novel, the writing is neat and clear, but the real gem is the dialogue which is tight, crisp and most importantly funny, it was of a quality to make Elmore Leonard proud.

Comparisons to Pratchett are obvious but to my mind it's a completely different style of writing, just the same genre. It is however just as funny, including a few real laugh out loud moments, a hard thing to extricate from me.

It's clear that Mr Nexus is a talented writer and hopefully there will be more to come, I await it eagerly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Totally brilliant and laugh-out-loud funny., 11 May 2009
C. Russell "aka Rentawitch" (Ankh-Morpork/Wincanton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game Night (Paperback)
I picked up this book at EasterCon 2008 and read it so fast. It is funny, original, clever and oh - did I mention funny.
I am not into RPG - have never played dungeons and dragons or anything similar but I understand the convention and know that Roleplaying groups are supposed to be dysfunctional, argue with their Dungeonmaster etc. That is more than enough information to understand this book.

But this is a roleplaying group with a difference the players are all Gods and Goddesses and the Dungeonmaster is the Allfather - head of the Gods who is jealous of Mr 7 days and his handsome son.

You get a story split between the 'real-life' action of the Gods as players and alternately their characters on a quest to save the world.

It is very funny, and nothing ever quite goes as you think and makes the story all the better for it.

I read this and recommended to a friend who sat up all night reading it.
We have both recommended to lots of friends and they ALL said they loved it too.

I have seen Jonny compared with Terry Pratchett - I can see where someone might link the two but Jonny is not a Terry wannabe - this is a truly original book from a writer I for one, hope to see a lot more of.

Buy the book, you won't be sorry!

3.0 out of 5 stars Would make a good movie, 18 Jan 2008
Kåre Murmann Kjær (Aalborg, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game Night (Paperback)
I bought this book because I have previously enjoyed the work the author has made on a e-zine years back, and this seemed to be right up the same alley.

However, I was somewhat disappointed in this book. The jokes are very RPG-oriented, as expected, but also a bit cliche. I must admit, that for a book I expected to be funny, I had very few funny moments where I really laughed. I'm not quite able to say exactly why, because the material is actually rather good, but the form seemed a bit unsuited for a book, but would probably fit a movie perfectly.

However, the story is very good (and original), the characters grow on you, especially as the book progresses, the universe is interesting, the ending is superb and I will probably buy any follow-up book that might be published.

Game Night