Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 12 July 2015
Period piece - variant on the Sam Spade/Raymond Chandler/Dashiell Hammett type of private eye. Lanyon's writing is as polished as ever. I listened to the audio version and being read aloud does, in my experience, leave any clumsy writing painfully exposed.
The story is a whodunit mystery and it was not easy to guess the culprit (although I don't really try to work it out as it usually spoils the story). Most of the characters were unappealing people, and in this it mirrored all those 1930s films as well as Raymond Chandler etc. With the complex plot full of motives and events, there is limited character development and one of the heroes never really came to life for me. It is written with two third-person points of view and I might have preferred a first-person but it would then have taken longer to unravel the mystery.But really these are minor niggles and the whole story was as enjoyable as all the other Josh Lanyon work I've read - and the narration is very good in the audio version.
on 8 July 2011
I am fast becoming a Josh Lanyon fan. so far i have not been disappointed with anything I have read from this author and Rough Magic does not disappoint. it has feeling and an interesting plot with a number of characters involved and unexpected twists to move the story along. A good read.
on 9 August 2011
set in the 1930's - it has sarky P.I's,rich beautiful boys, batty aunts and very bad, bad boys! Really enjoyed this - as I always do when its Josh Lanyon - wonderfully written as always and its the start of a series! Yay.