Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 November 2009
I got this in Forbes' Music Shop in Dundee in 1980 after I bought Fuse One (N.B. the Amazon listings on both of the original albums and the compilation disc are utterly confused and it is unclear which album is being offered for sale in some cases)

Outback was a real revelation for me it was a jazz album but not a jazz album the music was challenging but quickly very rewarding. This was the period when I got into a whole range of fusion albums, Return to Forever, Weather Report etc. I did not realise at the time what a powerful effect Miles Davis had on all the bands and musicians that I was being drawn to.

There were three other CTI albums which I bought along with this one, Joe Farrell's Song of the Wind (which very strangely , I have since found out, was also released as The Joe Farrell Quartet. Why strange you ask? Because on it was Joe Farrell, Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, Dave Holland and Jack De Johnette. Isn't there a better name for a five piece band?) but this album is not available under either cover on CD. I also bough two Ron Carter albums at that time, Spanish Blue (Shm) and Yellow & Green neither of which are available at a reasonable price on CD.

Outback is a wonderful 70s fusion album with very strong Miles Davis credentials, the playing is intense in places but it is utterly rewarding and beautiful music and I would recommend it to anyone who likes that period and style of music.
on 11 October 2013
I wouldn't disagree with any of the other reviewers on the quality of the music. It's a great album and we've waited a long time to have it out on CD. The packaging, though, is terrible: a flimsy cardboard affair. It's almost impossible to get the CD out without scratching it. I managed to, with a bit of patience, only to find that it had already been scratched by the person/machine putting it in. Not impressed!