5.0 out of 5 stars Thank god for Charles and Rebecca..
Published on 29 Oct 2011 by K. Eltman

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but nothing more.
Published on 13 Sep 2011 by fcol24

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank god for Charles and Rebecca.., 29 Oct 2011
K. Eltman (Chorley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paradise (Audio CD)
I'm a 37 yr old northerner who enjoys Guns n Roses, Stone Roses, Faith No More etc. I did not intend to fall in love with Charles & Rebecca. Yeah, their 1st album is lovely, the b sides are sassy & their live show is energetic. But this record takes any preconceptions, screws them tidyly into a neat little ball, takes them into next doors porch, sets fire to em & shoves em through the letterbox. I'm not kidding when I say this is the record of the last 10 years. And its your record now. 'Two cousins' sucks you in with its poppy funky gospel rockiness. Yeah, i like this says mr mondeo thinking he's cool. 'If we're still alive' pushes him into the central reservation with its spikyness thank christ. 'Never look back' is easily the biggest anthem since Live Forever. If Noel had wrote it we'd be lining up to shake his hand. 'Where we're waking' is their current live opener 'I can see you looking at me, you got the brains, i got the body' Rebecca tells us, accurately. So far, so great. 'Hackney Marshes' & 'Beginners' are possible album highlights (aren't they all ?) 'You, Earth or Ash' takes us into 'Sorry about the Doom' Territory but pushes us over no mans land with '& i know, soon you'll go, and all will pass..' Rebecca's vocals are outstanding throughout but she seems to find something extra for this song about her grandpa. You almost feel 'Gold Mountain' might be a fitting emotional end to the album. Whoa!! Hold those horses. 'The dog' reminds us of 'Giving up on Love' in a really good way. Proper last song 'Horses Jumping' is a fitting 5 minutes of loveliness where Charles takes us on a ride along heartbreak street with 'now we talk coz its new again, and thats worth waiting for' before reminding us that 'good love is hard to forget'. Utter magic that most bands cannot achieve in a lifetime but Charles & Rebecca rattle off ever few minutes. The not so secret track 'Paradise' reminds us of simple human desires 'i wanna live in paradise, i wanna see if i can do through your eyes'. The whole album is pure emotion, heartache & eventual joy. You'd have to be dead on the inside not to enjoy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but nothing more., 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: Paradise (MP3 Download)
Slow Club decided to take a more serious approach with their music on this second album, and there are some stand out tracks - their single Two Cousins as well as Hackney Marsh and Never Look Back, yet I feel this album on the whole fails to deliver. The main thing that attracted me to them in the first place were their catchy melodies, but I don't feel so hooked immediately. Moreover, if they're going to play down this side of their music, they need to deliver. I didn't feel the lyrics were that inspired; and after several listens I feel the same. If you are already a fan of Slow Club or similar bands, I would recommend this album. But only just.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth A Listen, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Paradise (Audio CD)
Not a new band , but a new sound for them.

Some beautiful songs... with rasping riffs... got a few quid buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a listen, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Paradise (Audio CD)
I bought this album after seeing The Slow Club live and was not disappointed. The album was not only good on first listen but has also stood the test of repeated playing whilst driving the car. It feels as though a number of the tracks were recorded as a jam session, this is not a criticism as it sounds as if the band were enjoying the recording of the tracks. I would highly recommend this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars super, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Paradise (Audio CD)
Apologies for the lack of cerebral input but I like this a lot. In fact I think it is the best album that I have bought this year. OK, I have not bought many but I would if 1. I had the money 2. I had interesting friends and not just 6 music to rely on for recommendations and 3. a life. Seriously though - very raw and authentic. A welcome departure from all the wishy washy trite music that is around at the moment that is attempting to be raw and authentic. If you like percussion, the odd melody and something a touch different buy this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Progress, 21 Sep 2011
Mr. J. D. J. Harrod "Jimi, King O' The Three ... (Three Wolf Moon Town, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paradise (Audio CD)
At first, I was worried about Slow Club's departure from their folk-duo roots towards a set up involving a full band. Having seen this reconfigured version of Slow Club live, I was less than excited about the prospect of a new album. And then BOOM. It's actually really good. Yes, it's very different from their first album, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you've heard "Summer Shakedown", or "Thighs" (which was the B-side to their single "Trophy Room"), you've some idea of what to expect. Instrumentally, it's not dissimilar to Crystal Stilts, at least in as much as the reverb-soaked guitars provide perfect counterpoint to the vocal. The song "Gold Mountain" is a favourite of mine, and is a nice callback to their earlier work. If you liked "Yeah So", buy this. If you just thought it was okay, listen to "Thighs" and then still probably buy this. Basically just buy this album now...

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 15 Oct 2014
ok

3.0 out of 5 stars look under the carpet, 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: Paradise (Audio CD)
Typically for a Slow Club album , there is no mention of Pascal's law which states that for an incompressible fluid at rest, the difference in pressure is proportional to the difference in height and this difference remains the same whether or not the overall pressure of the fluid is changed by applying an external force. This implies that by increasing the pressure at any point in a confined fluid, there is an equal increase at every other point in the container, i.e., any change in pressure applied at any point of the fluid is transmitted undiminished throughout the fluids.

Paradise
Paradise by Slow Club (Audio CD - 2011)