on 9 February 2012
Burned various discs from dvd dual layer to regular dvd-/+r dvds and always with good-excellent results, performs very well even on bad quality discs. Recommended.
44 comments21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2012
Sony/NEC Optiarc drive is simply best in class. It sports the latest chip-set as well. Great performance and price. What more would you want. Get it!
on 3 December 2012
I've bought two of these and I'm happy with them. They do all you'd expect them to do and they do it very quietly too. My only critisizm would be they seem to be a bit flaky when using DVD-RAM discs. I have some DVD-RAM discs with some backups that were previously burnt using an LG drive. When putting them into the Sony, it would only recognise half of them and wanted to format the rest. Obviously I couldn't do that so I had to refit the LG drive to rescue the data, then re-burn. After some playing about, it became obvious that the Sony is quite picky about which DVD-RAM it'll recognise or throw up as corrupt when they are all perfectly fine/new.

So all in all, I'd recommend this drive for all applications but if you use DVD-RAM's, I'd go for a different brand.
on 6 December 2011
A nice, cheap and cheerful SATA DVD/ CD Writer.

It was a little noisy at first, sounded more like a car changing gear, without a clutch, but once it was used a few times, it soon bedded it.

It writes DVD+R @ 20X. I paid the extra for next day delivery, which it promptly arrived in the early morning. No complaints what so ever. For the price, highly recommended.
on 30 April 2012
Pros:

1. Cheap.
2. Good features.
3. S-ATA

Cons:

1. Cheap build.
2. Noisy as hell.

If you're on a very, very tight budget, then go for this. I got it for my dad, as he just needed a CD drive for the odds 'n sods; he's quite happy with it, but I wish I had looked elsewhere. For just a few quid extra, you could get yourself a gorgeous ASUS optical drive.

UPDATE:

Still being used, and still works.
on 4 March 2012
Works completely fine. Does not come with cables but don't worry these come with your motherboard when you get it. Good Product, good delivery, good price.

UPDATE

Have to admit... it's very loud when operating so some people may find this to be a problem.
on 13 September 2012
This drive seems great: fast, reliable and with a flashing light. However, it is ridiculously noisy!

I bought this drive because among all of my DVD drives which I have stockpiled at home, I could not find not a single one that used SATA instead of IDE. I had just built a new PC from all new parts, and it hadn't occurred to me that I couldn't use an IDE drive, as my new motherboard didn't support it. So I shopped around and bought the cheapest drive that I could find with good reviews and high speed. (this one)

I don't regret buying it, because it *is* very fast, and I just need it for occasional use. However, compared to the vastly superior drives supplied with my previous PC, it sounds like a V8! The old ones came with my desktop from PC Specialist, and operated almost silently, the noise only becoming an issue at full speed. This drive makes a racket even when opening the tray!

Like I say, this isn't a problem if like most users you rarely use it. But if you rip or write a lot of CD/DVDs, then I would suggest spending that little bit extra on a higher quality one.
on 2 February 2012
Does everything very well from reading to burning. The mechanism is a little rattly on the eject and load but works without any problems. Great value if your original drive has got a little unreliable.
on 19 April 2012
At first I was a bit worried about buying a cheap burner as I had been told that cheap ones are rubbish. So, wanting to build a gaming computer on a budget, and only having little money left, I took a chance and bought this dispite the cheap price. I now say to anyone who tells me that cheap cd drives are rubbish that they are wrong. This works BRILLIANTLY and I would recommend it to anyone!
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2012
it is cheap , price wise but reads all the DVDs I own and from different countries as well. so no complains here from me cause this is a excellent buy for what I bought it for.

only cons are that when in use it can be very noisy at times but cannot be heard over audio as well as if you are using some decent noise cancelling headphones

so **** for me cause I don't love it but its a good and cheap buy.