5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent burner.
Burned various discs from dvd dual layer to regular dvd-/+r dvds and always with good-excellent results, performs very well even on bad quality discs. Recommended.
Published on 9 Feb 2012 by BryCond

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great, either... (plus Update)
Pros:

1. Cheap.
2. Good features.
3. S-ATA

Cons:

1. Cheap build.
2. Noisy as hell.

Published on 30 April 2012 by Yours Truly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent burner., 9 Feb 2012
This review is from: Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x Internal SATA DVD Multi Writer Black Bare (discontinued by manufacturer) (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars An optical drive to buy, 8 Feb 2012
Sony/NEC Optiarc drive is simply best in class. It sports the latest chip-set as well. Great performance and price. What more would you want. Get it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect - UPDATE, 4 Mar 2012
Works completely fine. Does not come with cables but don't worry these come with your motherboard when you get it. Good Product, good delivery, good price.

UPDATE

Have to admit... it's very loud when operating so some people may find this to be a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 6 Dec 2011
A nice, cheap and cheerful SATA DVD/ CD Writer.

It was a little noisy at first, sounded more like a car changing gear, without a clutch, but once it was used a few times, it soon bedded it.

It writes DVD+R @ 20X. I paid the extra for next day delivery, which it promptly arrived in the early morning. No complaints what so ever. For the price, highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great, either... (plus Update), 30 April 2012
Pros:

1. Cheap.
2. Good features.
3. S-ATA

Cons:

1. Cheap build.
2. Noisy as hell.

If you're on a very, very tight budget, then go for this. I got it for my dad, as he just needed a CD drive for the odds 'n sods; he's quite happy with it, but I wish I had looked elsewhere. For just a few quid extra, you could get yourself a gorgeous ASUS optical drive.

UPDATE:

Still being used, and still works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value drive., 2 Feb 2012
Mr. Gary English "Gary English" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Does everything very well from reading to burning. The mechanism is a little rattly on the eject and load but works without any problems. Great value if your original drive has got a little unreliable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x Internal SATA DVD Multi Writer, 3 Dec 2012
I've bought two of these and I'm happy with them. They do all you'd expect them to do and they do it very quietly too. My only critisizm would be they seem to be a bit flaky when using DVD-RAM discs. I have some DVD-RAM discs with some backups that were previously burnt using an LG drive. When putting them into the Sony, it would only recognise half of them and wanted to format the rest. Obviously I couldn't do that so I had to refit the LG drive to rescue the data, then re-burn. After some playing about, it became obvious that the Sony is quite picky about which DVD-RAM it'll recognise or throw up as corrupt when they are all perfectly fine/new.

So all in all, I'd recommend this drive for all applications but if you use DVD-RAM's, I'd go for a different brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would reccomend this to anyone!, 19 April 2012
At first I was a bit worried about buying a cheap burner as I had been told that cheap ones are rubbish. So, wanting to build a gaming computer on a budget, and only having little money left, I took a chance and bought this dispite the cheap price. I now say to anyone who tells me that cheap cd drives are rubbish that they are wrong. This works BRILLIANTLY and I would recommend it to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars dvd writer, 1 Dec 2012
Fitted to my machine ok and windows configured the drive with no problems, would have liked Nero 9 with the product or some kind of writing software would have been helpfull.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like my old tech teacher, 13 Sep 2012
This drive seems great: fast, reliable and with a flashing light. However, it is ridiculously noisy!

I bought this drive because among all of my DVD drives which I have stockpiled at home, I could not find not a single one that used SATA instead of IDE. I had just built a new PC from all new parts, and it hadn't occurred to me that I couldn't use an IDE drive, as my new motherboard didn't support it. So I shopped around and bought the cheapest drive that I could find with good reviews and high speed. (this one)

I don't regret buying it, because it *is* very fast, and I just need it for occasional use. However, compared to the vastly superior drives supplied with my previous PC, it sounds like a V8! The old ones came with my desktop from PC Specialist, and operated almost silently, the noise only becoming an issue at full speed. This drive makes a racket even when opening the tray!

Like I say, this isn't a problem if like most users you rarely use it. But if you rip or write a lot of CD/DVDs, then I would suggest spending that little bit extra on a higher quality one.