4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookbook for NLTK, 30 Jan 2011
This is an excellent cookbook for Python's NLTK 2.0 module. Despite having used NLTK over the years I still found lots of useful recipes (and a whole pile of things I didn't know). Jacob also introduces external tools like Redis, MongoDB, execnet (for distributed computation) and dateutil (a wonderfully powerful datetime parser).

Disclosure - I was sent a copy of the book for review (unpaid, just a free copy as I've reviewed other Python books). This review represents my opinion and isn't influenced by Packt.

Early topics in the book include the cleaning and preparation of text, later classifiers are trained to solve specific problems and large scale computation (using Redis and execnet) is introduced.

There's a longer review broken down by chapters on my blog (google for 'ozsvald' and the book's title) if you want more detail. The blog review includes links to wikipedia and project sites for many of the topics covered in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful, but, 17 Nov 2013
I haven't yet used this book for serious development, but it covers systematically the NLTK facilities that I will use. I have hedged my bets by also buying the O'Reilly book on NLKT, but this looks a less useful and will be used as a secondary source. What is is missing for me is any comprehensive listing of all the facilities available within NLTK and I will have to look elsewhere for that.