4.0 out of 5 stars Wanted - Hilda Hopkins
This crime novella is much better than what I was expecting, and will definitely make you wonder what your gran gets up to. We start off with Hilda Hopkins, OAP and knitting machine addict, escaping from the police. As we read on we find out what Hilda has done, whilst evading police capture.

Trying to make a small income Hilda took in a lodger, but when he...
Published on 2 Mar. 2012 by M. Dowden

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilda Hopkins, Murder She Knit (Vivienne Fagan)
OK, so this book isn't your typical murder yarn - but I have to say that I did enjoy it.

Very easy to read and it made me chuckle once or twice. I liked the main character (despite being a murderer!) and was always fascinated to discover what she would do next.

Published on 2 Jun. 2012 by Fred

4.0 out of 5 stars Wanted - Hilda Hopkins, 2 Mar. 2012
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hilda Hopkins, Murder, She Knit (Hilda Hopkins, Machine Knitting Serial Killer Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Trying to make a small income Hilda took in a lodger, but when he died she decided to rather than report it, clear out his bank account and carry on collecting his pension. Finding it an easy way to make money, Hilda then starts bumping off further lodgers, or 'paying guests' as she likes to call them, creating woolen dolls of them that she has around the house.

Hilda may be old, but she still has her marbles, and is quite spry, so will the police be able to capture her? This is quite a fun but dark little read that made me glad my gran is already dead, or I could have seen her in the role of Hilda.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute hoot, 3 April 2012
This novella is a delightful way to while away a couple of hours. I am a careworker, working with elderly people, and I've met enough evil old bats to know that, given a bit more mobility and a length of yarn there coud be a lot of Hildas out there!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilda Hopkins, Murder She Knit (Vivienne Fagan), 2 Jun. 2012
Fred - See all my reviews

I knew it was a short story but was surprised by the suddenness of the end - then I discovered it's the first in a series of short stories! And yes, I will probably read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Likeable perhaps even lovable but how LETHAL, 31 May 2012
I had not read or heard of Vivienne Fagan before but liked the picture on the book and the title
and thought it maybe a good read.I like to read lighthearted, different types of mystery books
and thought this may do for an afternoon while sitting in the garden.
I wasn't wrong.Hilda is very plausable and how right when she thinks because
she is elderly and grey no-one pays attention to her.
I have heard that said before by different people I know about themselves.
Was slightly disappointed at the end as I wanted it to go on but have now found there are more books
so will be downloading them ASAP.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Loopy' and nice, one hour of fun reading!, 19 Mar. 2012
Nicely knitted plot and characters, medium suspense, well chosen language and correct grammar (isn't it awful that fact merits mentioning nowadays?). (De)light(ful)enterntainment for about one hour's reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant nonsense!, 20 April 2012
As other reviewers have said, this is a kind of "Miss Marple" in reverse... Hilda has been bumping off her elderly male lodgers - although she prefers the term "paying guests" - and when we first meet her the police are searching her house for clues and bodies. She escapes from their custody in the most improbable manner imaginable and evades capture for some time. Essentially the books tells us about her adventures, through her own words and thoughts while she remains at large.

The book had me laughing out loud; it was well crafted, packed full of humour, and very importantly to me, it had no formatting errors or typos.

My only criticism was that it was too short - when I bought it I hadn't realised that it was only 64 pages long and after reading it for a very entertaining 15 minutes, realised that I was 55% through the book (Kindle edition). This is my error, entirely, as I don't usually buy short stories, but I may have to change my mind with this author's works!

I would have loved to have read more of wicked old Hilda's adventures whilst she evaded capture... although I have just discovered that Vivienne Fagan, the author, has written some more "Hilda" books so I am off to buy the whole series. If they are only half as much fun as "Murder, She Knit", I will be a happy woman.

Thank you, Vivienne, for creating such a wonderful, and thoroughly horrible, character!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilda Hopkins, 23 Feb. 2013
I was recommended this book when I asked for recommendations for "cosy mysteries". I believe this book is permanently free.

This is the story of Hilda who accidentally kills her lodger, then decides that's a good career move and starts knocking her lodgers off. The police are after her, but she is wiley and escapes and is on the run from them.

It's only about 64 (old fangled) pages long but was a decent read for a short story. I quite enjoyed it and would probably read more, but not at £1.30 for each story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the average sweet old lady!, 22 April 2012
Fiona M (scotland, uk) - See all my reviews
This is about Hilda, the sweet old machine knitter hooked on murdering her lodgers (sorry Hilda - paying guests!). The book follows her on the run and trying to stay one step ahead of the police! The writing is good, funny and original. This is a short novel but I notice there are more books in the series so will be interesting to see how the saga continues.
I got this free on the kindle but will be buying the next instalment as I did really enjoy this.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 1 May 2013
Latenighter (South-East England) - See all my reviews
Starts with police arriving to question Hilda about murdered pensioners, and the rest of the story describes Hilda's actions to keep out of police clutches. I thought at first it was something a little bit different, but now having finished the book it seems only part of a story, with no proper ending, and I believe there are other books about her so perhaps it's a series that never has an end, which I find unsatisfying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only mildly entertaining for 15 minutes, 26 Aug. 2013
Although this book is mildly entertaining, it is littered with punctuation errors, occasionally so bad as to change the meaning of sentences. And whilst admitting that I am a speedy reader, I was surprised at the brevity of the 'book' and the facile conclusion. If it hadn't been free, I might have asked for a refund. A talented ten-year-old could have been proud of this writing, but an adult?