5.0 out of 5 stars Great but.
Published on 31 Jan 2012 by Andp

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but limited in many respects.....
The first thing that encounters you on unpacking is a build your own three pin plug which was very lightly constructed with contacts that did not inspire much confidence. This needed a pressing and twisting action which I found difficult but of course you only need to do this once luckily.
I had expected it to be able to receive DAB stations but it is FM and oddly...
Published on 23 Nov 2011 by Tellboy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but., 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: Gear4 HouseParty Rise Docking Station Speaker with UK/EU Mains Adapter Compatible with iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, iPod Nano 5th Gen and iPod Touch 4th Gen - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Accessory)
We bought this after trying several items out. It is really great ... The sound is good for the price, it's really cool looking, the volume control on top is much more convenient than other styles, the dual setting alarm is brilliant (no forgetting to turn off the alarm at weekends). Actually, I think the reviews that say this is a bit awkward are really picking holes, as it's very easy to use and set, and the dimmer on the clock is really good-added to which the numbers are big enough to read without my glasses on! We definitely recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but could go that extra step, 19 Nov 2011
Mr. C. J. Thorpe "Lastaria" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As both a great lover and gadgets and music tho seems like a perfect device for me to own.

Upon unpacking I was met with a sleek and well build designed device. It was easy to unpack although I found placing the attachment on for the UK plug a little fiddly.

Despite the sleek design and good build I was not overly impressed with the use of materials the plastics used seemed a little cheap.

I hit my first major snag with this with the remote control. It simply does not work. I spent a good ten minutes fiddling with it. Changing the battery, flipping it around etc and nothing I tried got it to work. This is likely just a faulty remote with my device. I don't know if others have had similar problems.

I like the way this is built with you able to dock your iPod/iPhone or other similar deices at the front. The buttons are big and easy to use and it has a large knob on the top you can turn for the volume which is handy and easy to use.

The clock is in big orange digits so easy to see.

Now for the main part when I docked my iPhone. It immediately asked if I wished to download the app to go with it and when I said yes took me to the Apps store on the iPhone. Once downloaded I opened the app and found it to be most useful. It automatically synced the clock to the iPhone which meant I would not need to fiddle with this later. It also had good software for playing music from my iPhones library and a radio option with a dial on the phone for selecting my radio station. I found this to be a very nice touch.

The sound from the system itself is good quality and can be raised to very loud levels. It is a good sound system akin to ghetto blasters of old.

But we do come to the most disappointing aspect of this device. And that is the fact it uses a FM radio rather than DAB. FM frequencies will be phased out in a few years plus the quality is not as good nor is the signal. This is a piece of equipment that does not come cheap so you think they could have made it a DAB radio.

Overall I think this is a good buy. There are disappointments with a remote not working, some fiddly bits with the plug and getting the battering in and out of the remote. And the major disappointment of it being a FM radio rather than digital (DAB) radio. But it has good sound, a nifty APP to aid your iPod with it and can be used as a nice bedtime alarm clock/radio or living room stereo.

Four stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic dock with one clever feature, 26 July 2012
leftfooter "leftfooter" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The key thing to understand about this product is that it was designed with an iPhone/iPod Touch as PART of the product. Assuming you have an iPod Nano, or some other non-Apple media player, here's what you get:

- an FM radio, complete with trailing wire aerial out the back of the device
- a basic alarm clock, with all the usual fiddly button presses to select different modes and set times, etc.
- an adequate stereo "boom box"
- a reasonable digital clock display, in red dots

However, if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, and you download the free 'SmartDock' app, it becomes a different beast. Via the app, you get the following features:
- clock time is automatically set to sync with iPhone/iPod (no fiddly button presses)
- iPhone/iPod acts as graphical display and controller for the radio, including: auto-scanning and logging radio stations for easy tuning, display of station name and other info (subject to RDS broadcast)
- easy setting of multiple alarms, including different times by day of week (although only the first two in the list will be active - so some shuffling required if you have more than two different times you get up)
- some 'fun' sounds to wake up to, including African drums, garden birds, thunderstorm and trumpet blast
- many options for controlling alarms: volume, choice of radio/iPod playlist/alarm sound, snooze delay, number of repeats
- full access to all music on the player, including podcasts
- ability to navigate all of the above via a small remote control (although this is annoyingly marked with grey symbols which become invisible in low light)

In summary, I would praise Gear4 for the degree of integration they offer for the iPhone/iPod touch owner. Some real thought has gone into making the whole thing work together and be more than the sum of the parts. However, at the final count, this is only an FM radio and basic boom box with some clever software to spice it up. If you have a Nano, or non-Apple player, forget it.

One final point of note: the dock itself attempts to avoid the need for the usual model-specific insert by being spring loaded. This causes the iPod to be pressed back against the unit after you plug it in. However, my experience was that getting my iPod touch to attach was tricky and I was worried about forcing it on too strongly. I suspect I will eventually get the nack though.

If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch, the question is how much you value the integrated touch screen/alarm/radio functionality. After all, for not much more, you can get a higher quality dock sound-wise, just without the integrated facilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Wonderful Machine!, 26 Nov 2011
Brian - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This'll do eveything except make you a cup of tea - you can play just about anything on it - iPads , iPhones , iPods , mp3's , etc. and it's a clock radio,to boot. You'll find the snooze button handy , at 7am on a winter's morning - you'd laugh at the antics we used to have , when our old alarm went off , and I could never locate the snooze button , but used to put it into radio buzzer mode instead - causing all hell to break loose in our house - but not anymore , with this unmissable sized snooze button! The folks at Gear 4 ,must put a lot of thought into who will be using their products,to give us an enjoyable experience - just look at the ergonomic design of this HouseParty , for instance - the clock display is nice and big , and it's dimmable. The free smart app. , for iPhones , syncs seamlessly , showing the same time as the unit's clock , and adds more functionality , giving your iPhone control of everything , and displaying album art , radio stations, and even the weather. The sound is great , with graphic equaliser's to suit most music styles , and the remote control is a brilliant addition. Amazon have got this at nearly half price at the moment , so why not snap it up now - it would make an excellent Christmas present - I'm glad I've got mine , and I can thoroughly recommend this HouseParty , to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 1 Mar 2013
Sound quality is super fine, volume is excellent, size perfect. Perfect give for a teenager, as it has an alarm to wake you up in the morning too. Also comin with a remote control means you don't have to get out of bed to listen to the radio!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 26 Feb 2013
I got this product after searching the internet for a while.
I am really impressed with the sound quality for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little ipod dock., 28 Oct 2012
Bought this for my wife so she can listen to music on her ipod while cooking/ doing housework. The sound quality is very good for a small device and it is being used every day....one very happy lady now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant buy!, 10 Sep 2012
A very nice product overall! The design is decent overall and looks very good! The buttons on the top could have a little more give, but no real complaints.

The sound produced is excellent and packs quite a punch! Not an expert on music, but for the price, the sound is very good!

iPhone 4S docked fine, no problems with charging or connection.

Asked me to download the app which is very good. Useful for weather, alarms and radio! The music app could have a bit more polish, I prefer to use the iOS app. Maybe more themes?

Overall, good product. No complaints!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased :-), 9 Aug 2013
I'd been looking for a combined dock / alarm clock / speaker for a while but wasn't sure about taking the plunge. So glad I did - this is great! I looks really smart and is not too big to condider taking away on holiday as a speaker system for my iphone (one of my other criteria).
It took five minutes to set up, the app works really well and the remote contol is a neat extra. The alarm clock buzzer is a bit lame but you can wake up to the radio or your music so it's not a massive concern.
The main thing I'm impressed with though is the sound. For a little package you get decent volume (although the dial starts at zero it needs to be on about 10 before you actually hear anything - goes up to 32 I think) and the bass is really good. It's not going to impress music purists but for the money (40) its well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 3 May 2013
I use this as my main speaker when I'm at university, and it has great sound at very loud and normal volumes. I've also used it for house parties, where it did a great job. It has to be near a plug socket but the cables are very long, so it isn't too much of a problem, and it works perfectly with my iPod and laptop. I also use it as my main clock, as it's easy to set the time and the display is clear and uncluttered. No complaints whatsoever.