4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect
This has a lovely rich deep sound that belies the size of this system, and has a pretty good graphic equaliser built in too, with presets rather than something that you can edit.

I have an iPod classic and it works really nicely with it.

Published on 27 Oct 2011 by Glezza

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
My item arrived super quick and I was delighted with the packaging and the look of the product itself.

I had bought it to sit in the kitchen and it looked fantastic. Lovely design and the sound quality was far superior to the Phillips docking station that I was replacing.

My iphone sat neatly on it with the case - just as the previous reviews had...
Published on 21 Mar 2012 by Julie

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 27 Oct 2011
Glezza (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gear4 HouseParty 4 Evo Docking Station Speaker with UK/EU Mains Adapter Compatible with iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, iPod Nano 5th Gen and iPod Touch 4th Gen - Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I have an iPod classic and it works really nicely with it.

What would have been nice though is a slightly bigger remote with illuminated keys something similar to Apple's laptop keyboards) it would have been a finishing touch that would have set this apart from the rest and surely not that expensive to make.

It does work with an iPad, but not very successfully as the size of the iPad gets in the way of the remote.

Overall, this is a well made speaker system that has been well thought out, the sound is very nice and can be cranked up pretty loud, so good for parties etc.

The only things that let it down from being a straight 5 star product are very picky, but this isn't a cheap system, so I for one expect the highest quality, so I like embossed edges metal work to line up across breaks, as well as thinking about the use of the remote in the dark.

Aside from these minor complaints from me, I think this is a great speaker system for your iPod/iPod Touch/iPhone... but not perfect for the iPad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speaker Dock for the Price!!!, 11 Dec 2011
Mr. T. S. James (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I purchased this I already owned the previous model without the App enhancement so was interested to see what the difference between the two models would be. Essentially this is identical to the Gear4 HouseParty 4 with a slightly different looking dock and has the added bonus of being able to download an App to control the speaker unit from a second iDevice.

The actual speaker unit itself has a very simple clean design, will easily fit anywhere in a room and has a very slim credit card style remote control. My current HouseParty 4 has difficulty recognising my iPhone 4 as a compatible device but it still docks and works fine, it just flags up an incompatibility message which gets annoying after a while. This upgraded unit however seemed to work seamlessly with my iPhone 4 and also with a friends brand new iPhone 4S. Upon docking your iDevice it will ask if you want to turn on Airplane Mode so as to reduce interference from the phone and that's it away you go. If a song is already playing on your iPod/iPhone it'll keep playing when you insert it into the dock. If like me you're using an iPhone, as soon as you remove it from the Speaker Dock it'll automatically turn off Airplane Mode which is a nice touch, saves you keep going into the settings on the phone.

The sound quality of the speaker unit is very good, the same as the previous model. For the price I don't think you can go wrong for sound quality, I've heard some higher priced speaker docks in the under 100 range and they're not a patch on this. The bass is great without being overly bassy and taking over whatever is playing and the mids and highs are clear and audible. Volume wise this unit can be turned up very loud and would do well enough if you are having a party and wanted to use your music collection on your iDevice. There is zero distortion when turning the volume up, some cheaper units can have the sound distorted which makes for terrible listening at higher volumes, but not with this unit. Brilliant clear sound, perfectly balanced and excellent volume control.

The unit comes with a built in FM radio which comes in handy. You also get a credit card style remote control which is very handy and seems to work quite well. It cycles through all the menus on my iPhone without problems, allows you to select songs easily enough. You can also shuffle and repeat songs, etc from the remote. The one thing that I didn't see the point of was the 7 EQ options. Turning any of these on and you'll wonder what's happened, to me they're a bit pointless and most users will probably use the unit with the EQ settings off. A minor quibble, but maybe something that needs work for any future models.

Smartlink is a free App that you can download from the App Store to open up a range of features if you have a second iDevice such as another iPhone, iPod or iPad. This may not be beneficial for users with only one iDevice. Once downloaded the App can control the playback of the music via Wi-fi from your 2nd device, you can browse your music library and view album artwork should you need to. The App can also be used to control the built in FM radio, it will display the names of all the available radio stations in your area and allow you to organise them to your own preference and to start listening just simply touch the radio station and it will start playing through the speaker dock. Lastly the App also has a Clock display, settings for Alarms and can provide Weather information, all of which are only really useful if you happen to have the speaker dock on a bedside table.

Overall, I was really pleased with the speaker unit, although I didn't feel it was much of an upgrade over the previous model. For all intents and purposes the speaker unit is exactly the same and provides the same good quality sound, the only added bonus with this upgraded unit is the addition of Smartlink. Is Smartlink really useful though? I use it on and off, but I could live without it and really only use it if I can't be bothered to get up and manually change what's playing. I don't have a bedside table so the clock, alarm and weather features are wasted on me but I can see how they would be useful. If you're upgrading from the previous model then I would probably stick with the model that you have, otherwise if you're looking for a fantastic speaker dock at a great price that gives brilliant sound then I would definitely go ahead and buy this, 5 stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 21 Mar 2012

My iphone sat neatly on it with the case - just as the previous reviews had confirmed it would. Other than not being able to get the little control to work - everything was fine. I had expected that I would be prompted automatically to download the App when I first used the device, but I wasn't. It was easy to locate though on itunes but, despite downloading the correct version, the remote still wouldn't work.

I then went out and, on my return, parked the phone on the docking station and........... NOTHING. All the lights were on but the unit was totally unresponsive. All I got was a message on my phone saying that 'This accessory is not supported by iphone'.

Then commenced a series of emails with the Support Department for this product......If I was frustrated before this was nothing after dealing with the support staff there. Each email that I sent was returned with questions that I had already answered several times. It was clear that nobody was actually reading the text associated with the complaint. Stupid responses like turn it on and off (like I hadn't allready tried that!) Reset it (errm, yes that was mentioned in the 11th email) or press down the 'home' button for 10 seconds (when there isn't a 'home' button on the product OR in the User Manual. Beyond annoying as I am sure it is something so simple that is wrong or I haven't done correctly.

I think that, when it works, this item could be fantastic. When it doesn't I wouldn't even think about buying it unless you are technical enough to sort out any issues that may arise as the Support people are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Another point to mention is that the radio isn't very good and the product seems to be affected a lot by some kind of interference. I tried it in different areas in the house and it didn't help. Loud buzzing through the speakers so it wouldn't be practical to leave it turned on over night as the noise would wake you up.

Am sorry I can't give this item a positive review as I loved the styling of it and, when working, the sound was good. Poor customer service though let it down for me. Saying that the Returns Policy offered by Amazon is good. No quibble - if it's faulty you just print off a pre-paid label and take it to the post office. Money is refunded to your account within a few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound and Great Price, 7 Nov 2011
Bought this for in the bedroom - was totally amazed by how good it sounds - very impressed indeed - easy to use and comes with handy remote control and has radio too - a must buy if you are looking for something that looks and sounds decent but doesnt break the bank

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Speaker, 5 Nov 2011
Brian - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yes , this is a versatile stereo speaker dock ,with the added bonus of the innovative 'smart link' app's seamless synchronisation. The speaker is ergonomically designed ,easy to install , and is a welcome addition to my living room. Ideally suited for iPhones/iPods,it can also link up with mp3 players , and most other music players. The sound is great , and there's an EQ setting , to suit most tastes. The controls are user friendly , and the nice little remote control is great for us 'couch potatoes'- once on the dock , you can control most things with the remote. You can play your music , or listen to FM radio , check the time , and the clever, free app, enhances the functionality , giving you a choice of displays , and allowing you to view the time , and animated weather info, etc. It really does an awful lot for the money , and you can even sync. two iPhones together , and of course it charges your iPhone/ iPod to boot,( if you'll excuse the pun! }. In fact this speaker dock , charges my iPhone 3G , much quicker , than anything else I've ever used , and the battery life seems to last longer , which I'm very pleased about. The speaker will charge your iPhone/iPod , whether it's playing , or not. The speaker switches itself on , as soon as you dock your device , which is a nice touch. This speaker is everything you could hope for , and Amazon have got it at a reduced price at the moment , so why not check out this excellent offering from Gear4 - I'm sure you won't be disappointed - Gear4 really have thought of everything for us.

4.0 out of 5 stars All is forgiven!, 29 Mar 2012
Read my last review below for the background.

I ordered a new one. Still wouldn't work initially. My wife looked at things, hey presto, everything works fine if you run it through the Gear4 smart app. God I'm a dummy! Sorry Gear 4.

OLD REVIEW

I've had two of these units, the first had a faulty volume control; would go down but wouldn't go up past level 4 (a mouse's whisper) - it was returned. A replacement came and it too was faulty; no sound at all from the speakers! It then developed the same volume control fault as the previous model (although no sound I could see that the volume wasn't going up past level 4/5) - it was returned.

I'm very frustrated by this. Was it a bad batch from the manufacterer? The thing which concerned me most was the second unit developing the volume control fault within 15 mins of being unboxed notwithstanding that it had another fault anyway, God knows what faults would develop over a week or two of normal use.

That said I'd love one if only it worked as designed. :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely sounds, 13 Jan 2012
D. Green "wolfbiker" (UK) - See all my reviews
when i was looking for a iPod station for my office i review loads but at the end of the day i pick the Gear 4 house-party ,because of the looks but mostly for its features ,and i have not been disappointed use it every day when in office and the relaxation i get from this unit is my peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you want, 18 Nov 2011
These are the third GEAR4 speakers for our iPhones I bought in the last year. Because we were so impressed with the first one we stayed with this make. We have an inbuilt sound system in the house, but these speakers are so much easier to use and the sound is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boom box, 10 Mar 2013
So loud for something so small. Took it abroad due to portability. Enjoy the fact it also uses a battery if need be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty nice hardware, just ok software, 18 Dec 2011
I bought this item because I wanted to extend my music library (streamed wirelessly) into my bedroom. So I wanted to use speakers for my iphone. This part works perfectly. However, the speakers also include FM radio that is being controlled from an application in an iPhone or iPod Touch. And this application is the weakest link. Although it does what it is supposed to do, configuration, specifically building your own channel list (with names, appropriate order) is not very convenient. And when you finally do it, you can still accidentally press auto-tune button and the list becomes wrong again (though it only adds radio stations at the end without deleting or messing with the beginning). Besides, the music quality is fine, the radio is of good quality and is pretty sensitive. I'm happy that I bought the speakers.