4.0 out of 5 stars G400 vs MX518
*EDIT* I received a replacement at the end of 2012 which is made of a less slippery material, and as such points made about the material may be obsolete if all G400s now use it; if this is the case then it is certainly another plus for me.

To summarize:

Published on 4 Jan 2012 by med1xza

2.0 out of 5 stars Cable is too weak
i've had my mouse for 7 months now and the connection doesn't work between the usb and the pc because the cable is to weak
Published 17 months ago by Ms. S. Ockwell

4.0 out of 5 stars G400 vs MX518, 4 Jan 2012

To summarize:

+ G400 has a higher resolution sensor than the MX518, 3600 DPI vs 1800 DPI respectively (I use 800 DPI so it's irrelevant for me though).
+ G400 has a default 1000hz polling rate (1ms response) compared to 125hz for the MX518 (8ms response), thus it is significantly more responsive in terms of figures, but not much as far as the human senses are concerned. It should also be noted that it is possible to force the MX518 to use a higher polling rate by increasing the sampling rate of your USB ports; 250hz shouldn't be a problem, but it couldn't quite manage 500hz in my experience.
+ Like the MX518 the G400 uses an optical sensor with a red LED for illumination which works perfectly on many surfaces such as cloth mats and satin glass; clear glass is still problematic though. I currently have it paired with a large Artisan Shiden MID mousepad and the tracking is spot on.
+ G400 doesn't have angle snapping anymore (an algorithm that helps users to move the cursor in a straight line), whereas the early G400 and MX518 did; this is a matter of personal preference, and how much you notice this is dependent on your settings; I've found it to be a very subtle difference, but personally I prefer it without the algorithm (see the detailed section below for more information).
+ The external shape of the G400 is identical to the MX518, and as I like this aspect of the MX518 this is therefore a plus for me. The G400 retains a similar heavy weight to the MX518, and any difference will probably be due to the differing cables which is negligible.
? G400 shell has less grip than the MX518's which was very problematic for me. I rectified this with some simple DIY (see the detailed section below), but prior to this holding it became very uncomfortable due to needing to squeeze it much harder to ensure that it didn't slip out of my hand. This DIY was not required by me for the replacement that I received however, and so if this is the case for all G400s now then this grip issue no longer applies.
- G400 has a thinner cable making it more prone to wear and tear. I started experiencing issues with the mouse after 12 months which turned out to be damage to the cable. This is the shortest length of time that a Logitech mouse has lasted me and can almost certainly be attributed to this change. The mouse has now been replaced with a new G400 under warranty as a result.

The G400 is a mouse that technically performs as I require, and my only concern now since receiving a replacement is the thickness of the USB cable; the material issue appears to have been addressed by Logitech and I can play with the stock mouse very comfortably.

I didn't try out the Logitech drivers so can't comment on them.

More detail:

I am a keen FPS player and have used the MX5xx series of Logitech mice for the last few years (MX510 for 4 years, MX518 for 3 etc). They are relatively cheap, and while this results in a lack fancy features such as on-board memory for storing profiles for instance, they do provide enough raw performance to rival any other gaming mice. Recently my attention was brought to the G400, which is essentially a continuation of the MX5xx series (in fact the packaging says that it's the new MX518) and I had an Amazon voucher for £20, therefore the mouse would effectively cost me around £6, so I thought why not?

One of the first things I noticed about the mouse was that the cable is thinner than the MX518's, and as my previous mice have all broken due to cable wear I was quite concerned by this. I do my best to look after the cable by taping it to my monitor to ensure it isn't being snagged or bent too much, but unfortunately issues with it cropped up after just 12 months and it was completely unusable one month later. This is by far the shortest period of time that a Logitech mouse has lasted me and in my mind is almost certainly due to the change of cable. For comparison my MX510 lasted for 4 years before any issues and still serves as my mouse at work another 4 years on, and my MX518 managed 3 years before issues started to set in. On another note, my experience with Logitech's warranty replacements has always been positive; I received a new G400 within a few days of sending the old one back. Moving on...

The G400 still uses an optical sensor with a red LED for illumination, but the fact that it sports 3600 DPI is irrelevant to me; I use 800 DPI and can't imagine anyone really needing more than the 1800DPI offered by the MX518 in games if they set their sensitivity up properly, but it's a selling point that mouse manufacturers love spouting and they will continue to do so.

The mouse does feel very snappy with 1000hz polling rate (1ms response), but the difference between this and the MX518 at 125hz polling rate is minimal; I have a 120hz display despite this detecting the difference in response is virtually impossible with my mere human senses, but it might make the difference once in a while. However it is also possible to force the MX518 to use a higher polling rate if you feel that way inclined; it can easily manage 250hz (i.e. a 4ms response time), and also just under 500hz. For Windows there are a few third party programs that will allow you to increase the sampling rate of your USB ports, or you could opt to do it manually if you so wish.

More recent models of the G400 don't have angle snapping, whereas the older G400 and the MX518 had this feature. Angle snapping assists with moving your cursor in straight lines, and as such it could be beneficial in games if you are trying to keep your aim level in an FPS for instance (e.g. at head height). The removal of this feature means that your input is more accurately reflected now, and you will need to be more precise in your own movements to keep it steady. I have tried both versions of the mouse and have to say I prefer it without the angle snapping when playing FPS games. Where I noticed it more is in graphical editing programs where I experienced difficulty with drawing straight lines using freehand tools. This is certainly personal preference, but it would have been nice to have the option to turn it on or off or even tweak it. The following was posted by Chris_P on the Logitech forums in January 2012:

"Angle snapping was removed as of PID LZ13333. Lower PIDs have angle snapping. There is no way to specify in online orders which version you are going to get. As time goes on, it is more likely that you will receive a non-angle-snapping version as stock of the older version is depleted. In retail stores, you can tell the difference between the older and newer versions by the package's transparent closure labels; G400s without angle snapping have the Logitech logo printed on these labels. G400s with angle snapping have no printing on these labels."

That's good to know, and the odds are that you will probably be getting the newer version by now as this feature was removed quite some time ago.

I can verify that the mouse can track well on the following surfaces:

+ Icemat V2 (Toughened Satin Glass)
+ Large Artisan Shiden Mid (High quality hybrid pad)
+ Large Roccat Sense (Moderate quality hybrid pad)
+ XL QPAD UC (Smooth cloth)

The mouse was not able to track on my black glass desk however; this surface is too clear and flawless for it to operate on.

The first G400 that I got had substantially less grip than the MX518's, and due to the way I hold the mouse (picking it up between my thumb and little finger with my other fingers resting on the buttons on top) I found I was having to squeeze the mouse much harder to maintain a reliable grip, and this quickly got really uncomfortable. In some cases, keeping the left mouse button pressed whilst picking up the mouse was causing it to slip out of my hand. This may be partially due to my small hand size and grip style though, as other players have reported no problems with gripping the mouse.

All was not lost though, I had a plan!

Since the shape of the G400 and MX518 are identical, I decided to exchange the shell of the G400 with that of an old MX518's. The screws on the G400 are hidden behind the mouse feet which have a good chance of getting damaged during removal, so I ordered some replacement feet just in case. When these arrived, I carefully took both mice apart and swapped the shells. I decided to keep the matte grey bit from the G400 and put it on the MX518 grip, put it all together and fitted the new mouse feet on the bottom. It is fairly straightforward to do but it is a hassle I could have done without. This worked wonderfully for me, but I find it bizarre that Logitech changed the material of the shell in the first place.

The G400 is a great mouse that I love playing fast paced FPS games with; I feel I can rely on it to perform my intended actions responsively and precisely every time. It is a shame that Logitech decided to go for a thinner cable and use a different material for the the shell; these were both issues for me on my first G400, but the replacement has resolved the material issue for me. Generally the mouse is very similar to the MX518, and so if you have one of those already I would recommend that you stick with it rather than upgrading as there really isn't that much to differentiate the two mice in terms of performance, however when your MX518 gives up the ghost or if you were contemplating getting a used MX518, I would thoroughly recommend the G400.

I hope you find this review useful. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for everyday use, 20 Mar 2012
Peter Bloomfield (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse (Accessory)
I use this mouse every day at work, and am very pleased with it. I'm a software engineer developing virtual environments, so accuracy and smoothness of motion can be very important.

The mouse glides very nicely on the tabletop, with no sticking or shuddering. The size and shape of it is excellent, making it comfortable and natural to use. The main buttons seem to have good sensitivity, so I don't need to press too hard, but I also don't end up pressing them accidentally. The software that comes with it is very useful as well for assigning specific functions or key combinations to the buttons, and it can automatically change profile to suit whatever program you're using at the time.

It's important to note that it's specifically shaped for an average-sized right hand. If you're left-handed, or your hands are a bit smaller than average, then it probably isn't the mouse for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A superior quality mouse, 6 Jan 2013
Andrew Ballard (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse (Accessory)
Suffice to say I've been through a fair few mice looking for the 'one', the amount I've spent on them irritates me, but I am very demanding. I think this is it.

At first I dismissed this mouse, it is afterall called G400, 'below' the g500 (owned), g700 (have) and recent g600 'mmo', so it will obviously not be in the running as a top tier gaming mouse - I was *very* wrong in thinking this. It is in many ways first class, easily the equal of the more premium Razer and Steelseries mice I've owned - I rip the SS Sensei to shreds in my Amazon review. I prefer it over the g500 & g700 too, easily, as the g500 is a bit gimmicky and the g700 simply 'too much' mouse and a maniacal battery eater.

The buttons are all configurable via logitech gaming software. I don't like the central placement as I find such hard to use rapidly, but that's what side buttons are for, the foremost one is especially tricky to use. It's evidentially not a 15 button MMO mouse, and thankfully doesn't try to add buttons in stupid locations like the Xai/Sensei have on both sides causing ambidextrous-grip mayhem.

The Sensor is an optical Avago S3095 - basically excellent, does nothing weird (no acceleration, angle snapping, etc, on the current crop of G400) and very stable, the lens too is custom and purpose built for this mouse. Search the web for highly detailed discourse on the sensor and it's variations if it interests you. It is located centrally in the base of the mouse, very ideal.

The sides and front are rubberised and the top an 'antisweat' type finely textured surface. All button action is very tight and firm, however the left mouse button does have a slight amount of play (it does not wobble), a fraction of a mm that causes it to 'rattle' if very lightly tapped*************. I can see why this happens however and it's not a lack of quality or remotely bothersome. I love the shape, but this is highly personal, so...

****EDIT**** It became more 'rattly' and the right mouse button started at it also, to the point the RMB started to catch slightly against the shell if not clicked in exactly the right position, Amazon are top class though and are replacing the mouse, but still have to mark it down a star for this. I do feel there *could* be an issue with the design now - that being the top shell is simply not toleranced well enough, I'll check the second mouse for this shortly.

The feet are very large, though smooth they don't feel to be Teflon, unsurprising at this price, but they glide very well on wood and cloth.

The scroll wheel is linear depress, it presses down evenly not to the side and is optically encoded, travel distance is quite far but feels great. Scroll Action is good; notched; medium stiff; no lateral wobble at all. Good stuff.

The cord is quite thin, non braided, and thus light and easily moved. Time will tell as to how it wears, but they are easy to replace, as with most mice.

Don't be fooled by the price or name like I stupidly was, this is easily a first rate gaming mouse with a lovely sensor, and a top class mouse in general. It's not at all ambidextrous however, being sculpted for right handers.

Recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cable is too weak, 31 Mar 2013
Ms. S. Ockwell "Sock" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars below avarage, definetely not a gaming mouse, 15 Jan 2013
Mehmet Yucel "kali" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse (Accessory)
I only bought this mouse because it has the exact same shape of the legendary G5.

However...
- its build and surface is cheap and slippery, the grip it provides is nowhere near a 10 year old G5.
- weight.. G5 is heavier even if I remove the extra weights from it.
- most importantly the scroll/middle button.. I do not believe they could've used a cheaper version. very flimsy, and you need to spend a lot of effort to actually click (muscle memory f'ed up, you'll miss loads of mid clicks in a fast paced game)

This in the end nowhere near a gaming mouse, it is just a very high resolution desktop mouse, for which spending this amount of money is ridiculous.

I will try G500 since it has extra weights, but I am not sure about if the new middle mouse button design is kept on that model as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse (Accessory)
Pros:
- Very comfortable (right handed)
- Non-greasy coating on the whole of the mouse
- Good registration
- Three custom DPI settings (I use 800, 1000 and 1600)
- Easy to use DPI switches
- Easy to press custom buttons

Cons:
- Low scroll wheel
- Only 2 custom buttons so bad for MMO etc but good for FPS

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably one of the best mice available right now, 16 Dec 2012
F Appleby (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse (Accessory)
The G400 is a dark horse in logitech's lineup. After trying a wide variey of mice, some rather expensive, some cheap from logitech, razer and the rest over the years I though I'd do some sensor digging after my G500 bit the dust. It seemed many of the issues I'd been having with mice over the years were down to their sensors.
The G400 uses an optical sensor as opposed to IR or laser on high end gaming mice, it's also got a lower dpi range than many sensors too. Don't let this fool you, just like megapixels on cameras, numbers are not everything.

The G400 comes well packaged and comes with logitech's fantastic warranty service should you need to use it. The mouse itself has 2 large feet, a little foot in the middle, right of the sensor. Back and forward buttons, dpi up and down on either side of a well ratcheted scroll wheel that doesn't support left and right tilting nor logitech's super scrolling wheel and lastly a windows switch key that needs software to work. No calculators strapped to the side, no changeable weights, grips or anything else that adds only to the price and complexity.

The mouse works well in either claw or palm grip and is light in the hand. Where this mouses speciality is, is in the optical sensor it uses. It tracks fantastically, instantly in FPS games I realised I was far more accurate with this than I was with any other mouse I'd used. You don't have to counter for angle snapping or drift, it just tracks properly. Another point of note is I have a large sheet of glass as my desk. Most mice either don't track at all or the few that do track are very jerky. This has absolutely no problems at all. However I prefer the comfort of a cloth mousepad.

The software from logitech is capable if a bit bloated. I personally don't like peripheral software and thankfully unlike the mice with hundreds of macro buttons that need software to setup and use you can plug this one in and get into the thick of it without any issues.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely my fav. gaming mouse, at a bargain price..., 28 Aug 2012
P. Miller - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse (Accessory)
I previously used an MX518, which sadly got broken. Having seen how many people raved about the Razer Deathadder, I thought I'd give it a try... to be honest it was a disappointment - I don't know if it's because my hands are on the small side, but I found it uncomfortable and made my hand sore after long gaming sessions. I would have picked up another MX518, but saw that the G400 was much cheaper despite having higher DPI... TBH the DPI is overkill, but it doesn't matter: this is basically an MX518 at a cut-down price. I haven't personally had any problems with the grip. The whole thing feels solid and well-made, and Logitech has a great reputation for support if something does go wrong... IMO it's the best gaming mouse on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech G400 - Is it any good?, 30 Jan 2012
In short, yes it is!

Physically it's rather dull, a simple matt black and dark grey lump of rubberised plastic. There's no random glowy lights, no bells and whistles. What you do get however is a very accurate, very nicely engineered mouse. It sits in the palm comfortably (though my little finger rests on the ridge it's supposed to go under that's more a matter of being used to my old mouse), the buttons are in easy to reach locations and suitably marked. Switching DPI is easy and with the extra drivier software from the Logitech website the entire thing can be customised to the hearts content. The mouse wheel is slightly stiff and goes in definite clicks but I find that better than the wishywashy approach of my last mouse.

Moving the mouse is a smooth and easy to guide process, very comfortable and will move well over every surface I've tried (glossy mouse mat, matt mouse mat, pine desk, cotton handkerchief, PC case and an interia wall). There was equal accuracy in all cases (even the handkerchief to my surprise), unlike some mice whch would have issues with the gloss mouse mat.

There's only little room for improvement; a visual guide to which DPI setting was selected might be nice (but the reset to chosen default makes this a minor issue at worst) and there's a tiny mold line on the wheel.

Overal I would have no trouble in recommending this mouse to anyone, it's value is excellent and you get a very nice product for a very low cost. Downloading the extra driver software only makes it better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the customisable sensitivity, not too sure on the shape, 15 Jan 2012
This review is from: Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse (Accessory)
If you get this mouse, the first thing I would do is download the software for it that comes from the Logitech website. This means you can fully customise the different sensitivities, including which it goes to with the default button. It means you can have as many as 5 sensitivities, or as few as you need.

It's got the basics of forward/back page buttons on the side, up/down sensitivity (customised with the downloadable software) and a default sensitivity button.
However, the shape of the mouse is that it's probably more suited to people who have a relaxed quite flat hand when playing games. I myself prefer my hand more over the top of the mouse, especially since I don't have really long fingers, so I feel I have a better grip of my old mouse, the Gigabyte GM-M6880, so I would suggest trying to find somewhere to try it out yourself before you buy.

It also seems to have a little bit of a lip on the right hand side, which my third finger rubs against. However, if you I play with 3 fingers on the top of the mouse, it fits perfectly for the shape of my little finger. So it could potentially be based around this as well.

Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse