5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Shugak-best character I've read since Ross Mc Donald
Published on 10 Jun. 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Book Worm
Not one of Dana Stabenow,s best book. The whole story could have been told in just a couple of chapeter,s. I felt at times that I was actually in class and should be taking notes for a test after.Not what I have come to expect of a Kate Shugak story after I had really enjoyed the other four.
Published 16 months ago by Bookworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Shugak-best character I've read since Ross Mc Donald, 10 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
Another chilling story of life in a harsh, beautiful environment. The plot is intriguing, but what really beguiles is the gritty, intelligent, wild Kate Shugak and Dana Stabenow's talent in bringing us right into the landscape, letting us all become Alaskans for a time. The writing is visual and clips along, the supporting cast memorable and empathetic. Kate's world stays in my mind long after the book is finished. Stabenow can't write fast enough for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book Worm, 14 Dec. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Play with Fire, 28 April 2013
AJ (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
As always, Dana Stabenow delivers. And, this story provides a deeper insight into what makes Kate tick. If you are a fan then read on. If not, then I recommend that you go further back, perhaps even to her first novel, Kick back and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Feb. 2014
I was new to this series, now have all 21. That should say enough! Witty, terrific sense of place, well plotted, eccentric believable characters - what's not to like!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 12 Dec. 2013
The whole series is a joy to read, well written, good characters and interesting plot. Really good descriptions of Alaska.

5.0 out of 5 stars Play with Fire, 9 May 2013
A richly layered novel. The descriptions of Alaska are enough to have anyone packing to go - although this is a less attractive aspect of the countryside - the midges in summer! Mushroom picking, wildfires, anyphylaxis and born again Christian sects! As always a good read with the detail which makes for rich characterisation. I particularly love the novels where Mutt plays a part. I love the relationship between him and Kate!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the last "big sky" authors left to us. Totally enjoyable., 28 Mar. 2015
I don't know what qualifies as a "modern classic" but I find Dana's prose evocative, compelling and satisfying.

I would agree that is is not one of her strongest books in terms of plot - but that did not stop me reading it cover to cover without stop.

If you have any hankerings for big skies, open plains and last frontiers pick any of Dana's books and enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Proof reading!, 3 Jan. 2015
About two thirds through, the book jumps a few pages. Next it gets to the right place. Very confusing.
Also, it would make it easier for me, an Englishman, if the book used a more universally accepted language. ie. Trade names and 'Americanisms' which make it difficult for a non American to read easily.
Otherwise, quite enjoyable.
Regards., Chris Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great heroine in a harsh world - Alaska. Number 5 in the Kate Shugak series of 20 books., 2 May 2014
Great heroine in a harsh world - Alaska. Number 5 in the Kate Shugak series of 20 books. Dana Stabenow is the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Always riveting, 14 April 2014
It is so easy to lose yourself in Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak series, the stories have good depth and entertaining characters. This one was no exception.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Play With Fire (Kate Shugak Novels Book 5)
Used & New from: £3.59