on 6 June 2012
Just made my first cup..... It makes, or seems to make, a more flavoursome cup than a cafetiere.

Filling to the top makes a pretty full mug.

It seems quite a bit slower than a normal cafetiere as you have to wait for the water to dribble into your mug. But it seems worth the wait.

The filter probably should be washed immediately - a ten second job. Washing and drying is a lot easier than a cafetiere, it should stay cleaner for longer.

Unlike a cafetiere there are no fine coffee grounds in the bottom of the mug. None whatsoever. I use a fairly finely grund Illy coffee, so there was always some sludge at the bottom of a cup.... None with this.
on 5 June 2013
Now have bought 5 of these for two homes, and quite a few friends have too. Word of warning, if dishwashing do not put the filter itself over one of the spikes - can be forced down and ruin it, as I did. may seem quite expensive but not when used over a period of time.
on 3 September 2014
Item is as described, however, I used coffee granules and some managed to find their way through to the mug below. Something tells me it needs paper filters rather than the gold filter already with it. So it is ok, but not brilliant.
on 23 October 2011
The ultimate in coffee accessories, portable for holidays, the workplace and home. At the price quoted clearly much cheaper than any coffee filtration system on the planet. No accessories needed i.e filter papers or jug to make this work, just ground coffee, cup and kettle. All the goodness of the coffee will come out in the brew including the oils! VERY LONGLASTING, had mine for over 10 years indeed virtually indestructable!
on 25 April 2013
I use this everyday. I was borrowing my girlfriend's SwissGold for a while as she was brewing her coffee by another method. But now she wants it back, so I had to buy my own (to be fair I'd been borrowing hers for quite a while, so I gave her the new one). I love not having to buy filter paper, because the filter is built in it's always ready to go. Highly recommend.
on 12 October 2012
It is such a simple product yet I did have some fun working out how to get the best from it. I use a finely ground coffee (to be honest, I haven't tried anything else yet). My theory is that the finer the grind the better as there will be more surface area for the water to make contact with, therefore more flavour will be released. I have no scientific evidence for this, it is just a theory I have come up with.

I use the plastic lid from an instant coffee jar to compress the coffee in the filter before I start to pour the water through. It is kind of ironic that something from instant coffee helps the flavour of my 'real' coffee. By compressing the coffee the water filters through much slower. I believe that this makes for a better flavour. I pour the water in about an inch at a time. I find this works better than filling the filter in one go. Once again, I have no scientific evidence for this, it just feels right. I find it quite therapeutic to spend just a couple of minutes thinking of nothing else but how to make the best coffee I can. The only thing that tops that is drinking the results!

Washing up is stupidly simple. Once you have mastered this filter you will never want to drink an instant coffee again.
on 12 July 2012
I bought this filter for the office, so that I don't have to pay daily for poor quality coffee from the machine. I decided to avoid buying single-use, ready-to-use filters, so that I can use my own choice of coffee (and I spare some plastic waste).
I've used the filter now 5 times and the coffee I get is ok. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be so, but the water seems to be running very fast down the filter. The taste is ok, nothing exceptional. Also, as others have warned, you may want to go for less thinly ground coffee, as traces will otherwise pass the filter and make it into your mug (not that I find that much of an issue, personally).

This is a handy device and worth the money. However, unless I'm doing something wrong, the quality of the coffee I get is indistinguishable from that of the one-off single use filters.
on 2 June 2013
I do like a decent cup of coffee but it seemed silly to buy a coffee machine just for one person. So when I found this one cup reusable filter, my problem was solved. I now enjoy a lovely cup of coffee when I want it and nothing is wasted. My best Amazon buy yet.
on 23 October 2011
I found that the coffee has not got to be too fine,course is best.
The water seems to be very fast running through the coffee.
This product is ok but not quite as good as I had hoped.
on 25 December 2012
As a lover of "real coffee", I wanted a filter which can be used on any mug as my cafetiere leaves me with too many coffee grinds to put down the sink with the liquid remaining. It is difficult to buy a simple filter and was delighted to find this one which works perfectly and simply leaves me with the coffee grounds which are fine in a waste bin or composting bin. The coffee is delicious.