5.0 out of 5 stars Laura Marling - A ferocious talent produces more classic songwriting
The forward march of Laura Marling continues unabated and seems unstoppable. Her last album "I speak because I can" landed as a fully formed and assured work where comparisons to great singer songwriters like Joni Mitchell, Janis Ian and Laura Nyro were not only possible but also entirely appropriate. On "A Creature I don't know" her third album (and remember she is only...
Published on 12 Sept. 2011 by Red on Black

3.0 out of 5 stars An Evolving Creature
I remember at the time of her emergence, arriving with the sweetest of voices, with the most interesting of tales to tell, it seemed like a missed opportunity to call Laura Marling's debut anything but perfect. Of course, it wasn't. But this was an artist with lightyears ahead, harboring such visible talent that your average critic might've felt required to champion the...
Published on 1 Oct. 2011 by Mr. J. Milton

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars keith, 7 Oct. 2011
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
Another fine album from a fine British artist, looking forward to seeing her perform live in the not too distant future..

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and compelling, 26 Sept. 2011
J. K. Cook (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
I absolutely love this whole album, it has a very interesting and unusual country sound and Laura's voice has a wonderful richness. Lyrically exciting, driving percussion, particularly like the track 'The Beast' but all deserve close attention. Another excellent recording from a very talented young woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 16 Sept. 2011
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
This album is amazing. Her best yet, and that is a big deal given the quality of the first 2. Both musically and lyrically amazing. Can't recommend this album enough. Favourite songs so far are The Beast and Sophia - awesome! Go buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 Nov. 2014

Bad

4.0 out of 5 stars Laura Marling, 22 Oct. 2011
Ms. B. J. JENKINS "Beth Jenkins" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
Another great album from Laura Marling. Although the majority of the songs on 'A Creature I Don't Know' are a lot slower than previous songs, they're still fantastic.
I would probably recommend the albums 'Alas I Cannot Swim' and 'I Speak Because I Can' more than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 16 Sept. 2011
J. Skaife - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
An excellent album, moving Laura Marling's voice and style into new and interesting places. Choral sounds are back along with some wonderfully mixed electric guitar, banjo and uke' to please the folkies - and some indulgent rock and punk sounds that won't! But for me the star is Laura's sibilant voice singing poetry of modern relationships.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl is unprotected in the box set. Rendered unplayable, 14 Sept. 2011
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
This is a review specifically of the Box Set and it's flawed design, not the music. What you see in the Amazon photo, i.e. a vinyl picture disc, not in a record sleeve and a bunch of other bits and pieces including a guitar slide, 2 discs and a booklet loose in a box is literally what I received. This has nothing to do with Amazon's packaging, the box itself was still shrink-wrapped and intact. As anyone who has ever had vinyl records will know, shaking a sleeveless one around in a box of loose bits in the post doesn't do them any good. My LP was scratched and noisy to the extent there is a general rough noise overwhelming every single track - UNPLAYABLE!

Even if the LP hadn't been scratched beyond usefulness in transit, the cardboard slot in the box where you are supposed to place the LP would almost inevitably scratch it within the first few times you had it out. If you want an LP for playing, buy the LP version of "A Creature" as I now have. If you want a collectable where the LP is merely an ornament then this box set is just the ticket!

3.0 out of 5 stars Live CD a disappointment., 17 April 2012
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
This is not a review of the A Creature I Don't Know album, which I think is excellent and was one of my favourite albums to come out of 2011. This is a review for the new Live CD from York Minster. Having been at the gig myself I can say that it was a great concert. Laura and her band were on top form and sounded great, the audience loved it, the banter between songs was great, the setting was magnificent, I can't rate the experience highly enough. Has it been captured on CD? No. All the best live albums are edited to sound like or are one whole track, with each song running into each other. Here, as soon as the crowd cheers they are faded out and there is a silent pause before the next song. By doing this you get absolutely no feel of the gig and how it was accepted by the audience. All the banter between tracks, which also helps with the atmosphere of the gig, has been edited out. It makes it sound like these could all be separate tracks from different venues on the tour. You don't feel like you are listening to a concert in one place at one time. If I was Laura i'd be annoyed at how this has been put together 'cos it doesn't capture the night and how excellent it was. Still, love illustration on the cover.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

A Creature I Don't Know
A Creature I Don't Know by Laura Marling (Audio CD - 2011)