Creative's WP-350 Headphones are of the on-ear variety - which is difficult to tell from the photos on the box: does the model have very small ears, or have the headphones been made to appear bigger than they actually are?

Published on 28 Oct 2011 by Mr. P. HAIGH

3.0 out of 5 stars Very convenient, but not quite audiophile quality
I've never used Bluetooth headphones before - I'm quite picky about sound quality, and I tend to use decent wired headphones with my portable audio devices to get the best sound. I was curious to see if my doubts about Bluetooth audio were based in reality, so I gave these Creative headphones a try.

First impressions are pretty good (other than it taking me 5...
Published on 22 Oct 2011 by S. P. Long

3.0 out of 5 stars Very convenient, but not quite audiophile quality, 22 Oct 2011
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Creative WP-350 Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with Built-in Microphone (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

First impressions are pretty good (other than it taking me 5 minutes to work out how to get them out of the box!) They feel light but sturdy, and pairing them with both my iPhone 4 and my iPad was painless. Both devices sent audio to the Creatives by default when paired, and the controls on the right hand side of the headphones worked for play, pause and track skip.

The headphones fit quite tightly, but not uncomfortably so, and they do a reasonable job of blocking a lot of the outside noise. Contrary to appearances, they sit on the ears rather than around them, but the ear pads are comfortable and the overall weight of the headset is less than some full-size headphones without Bluetooth. Certainly I was able to wear them for an hour or more without feeling any discomfort.

So how do they sound? It's a game of two halves, really. The headphones and amplifier sound pretty good - the bass is deep and well-defined, and the treble is clear without being shrill or tiring. The problem, as I had suspected, is the Bluetooth link. BT headphones compress audio in a similar manner to MP3 for transmission, and the effects of this compression are audible if you know what you are listening for. There is a slight splashiness on treble - cymbals in particular - and whenever the music gets complex (such as the orchestral pieces on Peter Gabriel's "New Blood"), everything becomes a bit of an indistinct mess, with all the instruments tending to blur together. With simple rock and pop, this isn't much of a problem, but with orchestral or classical works, you can clearly hear that they aren't as good as a wired headphone. There is a bit of background hiss as well, but it's only really obvious during periods of silence.

All that said, the range on the 'phones is good - I was able to leave my iPhone in one room and wander a couple of rooms away with no skips or interruptions. The convenience aspect of the headphones is great - they do also apparently serve as a wireless headset for calls, but I haven't had the chance to try that yet. Battery life is supposedly around 10 hours of listening to music, and they recharge from a USB port (the lead is supplied, but no actual charger) in an hour or so.

In summary - sound quality isn't perfect, but I doubt it would be better on any other Bluetooth 'phones, as I think the codec used for the Bluetooth link is the weak spot. If you are prepared to overlook that, I'd recommend them on all other counts.

Edit - I've now been using these phones for a couple of weeks, and they seem to have a flaw (or at least, my set do) - they are prone to interference when used on the move. They seem fine if you just sit in one place, but taking them out walking can be a frustrating experience, as the sound seems to go through periods of being interrupted with short (less than a second) audio drop-outs. This is sometimes bad enough that it's reminiscent of walking around with an early personal CD player that skips - at other times, there are no problems at all. I've knocked another star off for this - perhaps not the best choice if you want to use them while jogging!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative have produced good quality headphones that are comfortable, have long battery life and are easy to use, 28 Oct 2011
Mr. P. HAIGH (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

So, what's in the box? For your money you get the headphones, a USB 3 charging lead, a cloth bag to keep them both in and a small instruction book. What's not in the box is a charger, spare batteries or any kind of audio cable. As the battery is non-removable this also means that when the battery is dead you can't use the headphones at all until you've recharged them. Or replace the battery when it eventually cries enough and won't charge.

Anyway I charged the headphones using my USB 3 phone charger. While charging a red LED lights up, this turns to green when full charge is reached. I left it overnight after an initial 75 minute charge was not enough - its important to be sure that the first charge of any rechargeable battery is a good long one anyway, or you can end up with a battery that doesn't last as long as it should. Creative state that the playback time from full charge is eight hours, with a charge time of one hour - although I've found charging from empty takes a bit longer than this regardless of the power source - I've tried using a computer USB socket as well as an iPod charger. The eight hour playback I've not been able to validate.

Once charged up I ran through a series of tests with a MacBook Pro, a Wifi tablet and a phone, covering pairing, playing audio, and making and receiving calls and checking the signal range.

Pairing: was straightfordward on all three. Assuming you know how to pair with your own hardware, all you need to do is follow the instructions in Creative's booklet. The main point here is that it is best to wear the headset to pair. Starting with the headset turned off, press and hold the bottom button. You'll hear a tone as the headphones turn on. Keep holding the button down until you hear a second tone. Now release the button and start pairing from your phone, tablet or computer. The headphones are listed as "Creative Headset" or "Creative WP-350 Headset". While pairing, the LED on the headphones flashes rapidly blue, which slowes down as pairing starts and then becomes a steady blue once pairing has completed.

When the headphones are on, this LED flashes blue. You might want to put a small piece of black electrical tape over this so that you don't attract unwanted attention or look like a wannabe Cyberman. I don't know why Creative (or Sennheiser for that matter) do this - I don't want to advertise that I'm wearing expensive headphones, yet in the dark I stand out like a blue beacon saying "please mug me". As the headphones play a sound when turning on and off, you don't need to see the LED unless you are charging, and then only if you need a full charge and want to be on your way the moment they get there.

Audio: Once paired, the 'play/pause', 'next' and 'previous' buttons worked with all three devices, and in the same way: the 'next' button moves to the start of next track, the 'previous' button moves to the start of the currently playing track and if pressed again quickly, to the start of the previous track. Sound quality was good and all the controls on the right headphone were easy to locate and use. In addition to the four buttons on the side there are 'up' and 'down' volume controls on the side. Everything is well-placed, easly found and easy to manipulate.

Making a call: On my Android phone I pressed the multifunction button and this triggered voice-activated calling. Alternatively I could use the address book or numeric keypad to make a call. Regardless of the triggering mechanism the headphones wityh their built-in microphones worked well as a hands-free set. As with any Bluetooth headset the microphones work well in the outdoors as long as there is not too much wind. Receiving a call is as simple as pressing the multifunciton button whilst the phone is ringing. As with other Bluetooth headsets if you turn it off mid-call, the phone goes back to using the built-in microphone and earpiece.

Bluetooth range: this is not the first set of bluetooth headphones I have used and my experience with these was no different to that with other more expensive sets. With my computer and tablet I was able to move 20 feet away and still have perfect audio. With no intervening walls it stretches to about 30 feet. The phone however has much smaller and less capable aerials and so you'll find the headseet starts to cut out after about ten feet. Depending on the quality of your phone you may also need to position it carefully about your person to ensure a reliable connection whilst out and about with your headphones on.

In summary, Creative have produced a pair of comfortable and effective bluetooth headphones at a very good price. The only thing to bear in mind is that with no option to connect an audio cable, and no ability to change the battery, when the headphones are out of power you have no options. Creative have kept the cost down by doing this - as well as leaving out other optional features such as noise cancelling. But at this price - they are a bargain. If you want spare and replaceable batteries, audio cables for when the batteries are dead and noise cancelling you're going to have to pay a lot more for something like the Sennheiser MM450 Headset.

4.0 out of 5 stars Was Pleasantly Surprised., 28 Oct 2013
M. Walsham "mark_microkid" (Clacton-on-Sea) - See all my reviews
After spending most of the last 12 months or so using a pair of Sony NC-22's wired headphones, I started to tire with having wires that seem to knot themselves together on a very frequent basis! Add in that my Jabra wired PC headset also stopped working, I was looking for a wireless solution for both my PC, Smartphone and iPad. First of all, I checked out the Jabra Halo 2 headphones, which on the face of it, looked like an ideal solution, but I found principally that the audio connection stability between my devices and those headphones was poor.

So, I shipped those back and literally stumbled upon the listing on Amazon for the Creative Labs WP-350. Generally, they had great reviews, so I thought I would give them a go, and they were around £10 cheaper than the Jabra equivalents!

What attracted me to these, was that these headphones support the apt-X audio codec, which my smartphone supports, which promises better quality sound reproduction over Bluetooth.

Well, after having these for 2 days, and have tried them with all three of my devices, I can say that I am very much surprised by these headphones. Firstly, they paired with all three devices, and so far, the connectivity has been much improved over the Jabra set. No drop out's from my smartphone or iPad, and only the occasional blip via the PC. The next thing that surprised me, was the sound quality. Wireless headphones have never been as good as their wired equivalents, due to the use of audio conversion for wireless, where wired does not require this, but I have found these headphones to be just slightly inferior in sound to my Sony NC-22's (wired).

That is an accolade indeed.

These do seem to push the bass forward a little too much for my tastes, but the mids are clear, and the treble is great. They are fairly well balanced, and once I have time to fiddle with the EQ on my music player, I expect to be able to get a great sound from these. I am quite amazed how good the sound is.

These are also comfortable to wear, and outside of the home, on a windy day like today, these do a fairly good job at isolating the outside noise, which I was surprised at too!

All in all, these seem to be an ideal purchase for listening to music, podcasts and skype calling etc. It is going to be interesting to see how these work out in the long run. I recommend these!

*** UPDATE APRIL 2014 ***

I have now been using these headphones for the past few months, and I can confirm that with time for a decent amount of burn in, they sound better than they did out of the box. I revise what I said above, I now prefer these headphones to my Sony NC-22's, which sound a little dull in comparison. There are a few things which I have noticed over the past few months, which I think are important to point out.

- Mic Audio Quality - With Lync 2010 or Skype the quality is OK - as you tend to use these when you are indoor. I have used these for Work, and they are OK. What I would say is that for outdoor use with your mobile phone, I have found consistently that the caller on the other end complains that they cannot hear me. More often than not, I have to switch back to the phone handset. This for me is not a problem, but for some it may be an issue.

- Comfort - I wear glasses, and I do have a fairly large head, and I have found that where my spectacle arms rest behind my ears, and these headphones have quite a tight fit, I do find that after an hour or two, I find I get some discomfort and have to move the arms of my spectacles from behind my ears. This is not an big issue, but you should be aware of it.

- Battery - I have found middling performance from the battery, where I have found that I have not got the claimed 6 hours of playback. The upside is that these are quick to charge, and with careful planning you will be able to avoid this, but I do sometimes find that I run out of juice. I do tend to travel on public transport which is noisy, and I do tend to have the volume quite loud!

- Interference - I have found at major rail stations, where there are a lot of people, presumably with bluetooth on, I do get drop outs. Move to a less crowded area, and the interference goes away. If you happen to work in a very busy and congested area, you might want to re-consider these headphones. I transit through these spaces, so only get this issue for a few minutes, but it is annoying!!!

Apart from these point, I am and continue to be happy with my purchase and recommend these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very promising !, 30 Oct 2012
I bought this item because one reviewer suggested that it was just a small step down from a £200+ Sennheiser headset.
At first I was inclined to agree but on listening to a piano concerto I found the middle notes somewhat hsrd even harsh,
but that may have been intentional, in any case such judgments are always subjective.
The noise reduction is nothing to cheer about but then again I have never come across one that was.
Overall I feel that I made the right choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars compact, comfortable and pretty cool, 14 Nov 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are small, compact, comfortable and pretty cool. Had them for a couple of weeks now and have used them a few times with my computer and mobile phone. Pairing them up with both devices was painless and quick. I'm not a huge fan of headphones normally but I listen to music on my phone and I thought these would be worth a try. I have a bluetooth headset for my phone and the sound in those is pretty good, but I have to admit these are much superior. I'm not an expert in audio quality but it sounds great to me. I tend to listen to more audiobooks than music and I noticed that they did pick up a bit of background noise/static? that is not normally noticeable when using speakers. I have not used them outside yet and I'm not sure I want to wear them outside. Also haven't made a phone call when wearing them yet so I can't comment on the mic quality. Also can't comment on the battery life which is supposed to be about 10 hours as I haven't used them that much yet. I will update this review if anything changes. 4/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative WP-350 Wireless, 7 Aug 2011
This product looks small and cute and to me it seems feminine (I am a woman). The two individual cups that go over my ears are a bit small and it took me awhile to find a comfortable position for them because they did not completely cover my ears. But now I got used to it and they are great. The sound is very clear and I can walk around my appartment freely without losing the sound.
One problem I found was that the After Sale support was disappointing. I had a problem using Skype. However, I was not able to contact Creative Lab because there was no telephone contact number. Being a Global company, Creative Lab should have telephone numbers to call on 24/7 basis. It was surprising and disappointing that I was not able to find an answer quickly to my problem. I had to leave a message and while waiting for them to get back to me I was able to find my own solution. When they finally got back to me their reply didn't help with the problem. The advice they gave me was late and irrelevant.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit lacking in bass but otherwise excellent headphones, 2 Nov 2011
Whatchamacallit (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had often thought that a set of wireless headphones would be just what I needed, as I often found myself getting twisted in the cord of my old pair or suddenly being yanked backwards when the wire proved too short to walk away. However, the quality of wireless headphones was always said to be far inferior to a standard set which is why I never bought any. Bluetooth has now been used to improve the wireless quality of headphones and I'm pleased to report that this set proved to be very capable. They were incredibly easy to pair up with my other Bluetooth equipment and the range of the wireless facility was excellent - I managed to walk around 40 metres away from my music player without the signal even starting to break up. It was significantly less when I had solid walls in the way, but still impressive at around 15 metres before the signal broke but at least I could simply walk back within range again to resume operations.

The headphones charge up via a USB connection and this took just over an hour. That charge lasted far longer than I'd expected so I have been impressed with their staying power. They are also fairly comfortable to wear, and on first use wore them almost constantly for five hours though by the end of that time I was glad to take them off. Adjustments to volume can easily be done whilst wearing them, along with skipping tracks etc - they are very easy to use and the controls are quite intuitive. The sound proved to be clear for me but it did lack good bass. When I compared them to my usual headphones there was a marked difference in bass tones, though not enough to say that I won't continue to use these ones but in future I intend to use them only when I need freedom from wires. Overall they are an excellent product and as I have a number of other Creative products which have served me well I expect these headphones to last for a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bluetooth headphones., 25 Oct 2011
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tend to stick to wired headphones for listening to music and I usually stick to certain brands. However, after getting these I can see that the freedom to move around without having wires hanging around your neckline is pretty great.

These headphones are good, the bass is strong and the clarity is very good. They are slightly on the samll size, but they do in essence cover your ear. These are not Sennheiser headphones that cover your whole ear and have extra bells and whistles. I tested them on 10,000 Maniacs and I found that some parts of the mix were not as great as on my Sennheiser. However, my Sennheiser are 6 times the cost of these and based upon that the creative are a solid performer.

Yes, they wont be the choice of serious audiophiles like myself or others. But, as a a combo headphone/headset it is very good. I can take calls on the headset when paired with my smartphone and the quality is very good.

They are practical and functional as a combo device. I guess this is the actual target market. Listen to occasional music and watch movies on tablets/iphones and take phone calls. Based upon this the product is very good. My Sennheiser are brilliant for music and just music, I doubt I would want to wear them when taking a call from a friend.

So, in my view the creative and hit the spot with these. Decent all-rounder and pretty light for multi-usage. They are light, but also robust as I have dropped them twice and they are still functional with no loss of clarity.

The controls are on the headphones and recharging them only takes around 2 hrs on your pc or anyother device that takes USB. I ended up using my PS3 base charger to recharge them.

So, overall a good piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow this is top quality listening with the freedom of wireless, 22 Oct 2011
vh1967 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am listening to music on these as I write, and the sound of these is amazing. Rich bass, faithful high end and middle; very clear sound.

They feel great on and it's lovely being able to move around without the feeling of wires hanging down. It paired really easily with my smartphone, I just pressed the phone button on them, turned on bluetooth, and selected search for devices on my phone and was playing music wirelessly within 5 seconds.

What a brilliant idea these are. I suspect I am going to use these a lot. I appreciate good music and these headphones are up there with my professional sound system as capable of delivering the high quality reproduction of music that I demand with the freedom of no wires headphones. Well done, Creative!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best sound quality for bluetooth headphones in it's price range, 21 May 2014
I've been through quite a number of bluetooth headphones. I started first with the 7dayshop dj headphones around 10-15 pounds. Last year I upgraded to the 7dayshop R7 Premium headphones for 45, now 35 which do have good sound quality. However these creative 350s are far beyond any headphones I've tried. The sound quality is simply amazing for bluetooth headphones around this price. My only problem with them is that they are not the most comfortable and they are my first pair of truly on ear headphones. Maybe I will get used to this in time. I decided to also buy a pair of wp-380s to see if they would be more comfortable and unfortunately the sound quality just was no where near 350 headphones and sounded muffled. I still want to try out some of the other over ear bluetooth headphones from philips, etc to see if I can find a more comfortable pair.

If you are looking for a pair of really crisp and clear sounding headphones these are probably the pair for you!