5.0 out of 5 stars My dear Dragos
I had a friend suggest this story to me. She knows I have a thing for bada** alpha heroes, and who better to read than one deadly dragon with an attitude? A serious attitude, the kind that demands, that doesn't take No for an answer, and roars when things don't go according to plan. You gotta love this man.

Dragos is totally over the top, and I love heroes like...
Published on 27 Sept. 2011 by S. Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story but has some inconsistencies
Published on 31 Oct. 2011 by Mistress of The Dark Path

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story but has some inconsistencies, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Dragon Bound (Elder Races Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Pia Giovanni has just stolen a treasured item from the horde of an ancient and powerful dragon. A feat that has never been accomplished before. The worst part was she had not wanted to do it in the first place. An ex-boyfriend blackmailed her a few months after their break-up with the threat of revealing secrets she had entrusted him with while they were still together. So for her, she had no choice but to use her unique talents to obtain the item he wanted. Now she is on the run and fearing for her life.

Dragos, the ancient dragon Pia stole from is furious that anyone could gain access to his horde and steal something. His outraged reaction can be felt thoughout New York. He becomes focused on the identity of thief and has every intention of exacting retribution for the crime. Yet once he discovers who the person is, everything doesn't go quite as planned. Pia is like no other woman he has met in his long existence. Soon they are working together to find who orchestrated the theft. They have realized both their lives are on the line as part of a play for power. Before it is all over, neither of them will be the same.

The story line and plot for this novel are great. The book is entertaining and can keep the reader engrossed in what will happen next. The real problems come with the dialog. In most cases, when an author has a character who is thousands of years old, that person tends to speak more formally without a lot of slang. This was not the case with Dragos. He cursed often and generally used modern terminology that is heard from young people. I'm not saying this isn't possible for him to have adapted, but it caused him to lose his own voice. He and Pia spoke nearly the same way. I really couldn't differentiate between the two character's dialog which made the story not quite as good as it could have been. In fact, most of the characters in the book tended to talk this way, including the other older ones. It seemed contradictory to how they should have been.

Despite this being a bit frustrating while reading, I did finish the book. It had a great tale to keep the reader in suspense. Also, the romantic scenes were very well written. Some of the best I have seen. This helped to keep me going even when the dialog became annoying. For those who are a stickler for characters appearing as their nature dictates, this book may be a bit rough to get through. On the other hand, if you enjoy the ancient guys speaking in a modern fashion, this may not bother you at all. Everyone has their own preferences.

5.0 out of 5 stars My dear Dragos, 27 Sept. 2011
S. Richards - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dragon Bound (Elder Races Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Dragos is totally over the top, and I love heroes like this. He is domineering and calculating; he is also dangerous, menacing, and stubborn. I loved every facet of his personality. I loved when he sniffed Pia like the top animal he is, when he bit her in passion, when he was jealous and protective of her. Man, he was so hot!

Pia is also a great character. She's tough in her own way. One of my favorite scenes is when Pia kicks Dragos' crew in the gym. I was so hoping that was going to happen. And she stands up to Dragos too. She is more than a match for him. She is rare and special, in more than just one way.

As a dragon, Dragos loves his pretty, shiny things. By nature, he is curious and acquisitive. No one steals what is his, not even one little penny. Nobody touches or takes what is his, and I loved how Pia becomes his treasure, his most prized and valuable possession. And if anyone touches his woman? Well, look out.

There are so many great scenes in the book, so many great lines, but one line that sticks out for me is when Pia tells Dragos, 'You're like a stalker on steroids.' And that is Dragos, so obsessive, so commanding, so take charge. He is single-minded in his pursuit of Pia. He does learn to temper his steam-roll responses to a degree. For Pia, he will learn to say Please. For Pia, he will learn to do just about anything.

This is a wonderful story, the hero, the fantasy, the romance, all the characters-- I can't wait for the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for more, 6 May 2011
This review is from: Dragon Bound (Kindle Edition)
This author was a guest blogger on Nalini Singhs website and after reading her teasers about this book, I decided to check out her website, and there she had 3 excerpts and even before I finished reading the 1st I knew I would be downloading this book (thank god for Kindle, which meant no waiting around 24 hours for a delivery)and could start to read it straight away.

I LOVE THIS début of this series. The book begins with our heroine Pia, whose slimy ex boyfriend has blackmailed her into stealing something precious from the Boss of all Boss the New York Wyrkind Dragos, who is a Dragon shape shifter (now usually at this point I may lose some of you who aren't into these shapeshifter fantasy paranormal books, but I urge you to stay with me) who has lived for thousands of years and in turn over those thousands of years has collected quite a hoard.

Pia's mother at all times,(whilst alive) advised her to protect her true self from others, but in a maudlin moment thinking she might be in love reveals a long held secret to said Slimy boyfriend (before she realises what a moron he is and dumps him,)and he uses this knowledge to get her to steal something so he can pay of his gambling debt and get in with some shady shadowy underworld figures who may or may not be trying to kill Dragos.

Suffice it to say that Dragos soon unearths the loss and goes after her, initially with vengeance in mind, and he can't help slowly becoming amused and then intrigued by this thief who leaves an apology note behind.

Pia isn't all she seems and despite Dragos, after listening to her side of things decides to forgive her, wants her to reveal all her secrets to him, and is less then happy when she declines to do so. Pia is a lovely 3 dimensional character, showing equal sides of her Scared/Feisty and vulnerable personality, but above all doesn't allow Dragos to dominate her to the extend that she loses herself. Dragos character had so many layer, part Lord of the manner, part petulant child when he doesn't get his own way, part cold blooded killer. but throughout you can see how he tries to reign in his more dominating side as he falls for Pia. Their banter is so sarcastic and funny that I had to smile and laugh throughout the book, not to mention that Dragos when allowing his temper to get the better of him, demolishes nearly everything including a perfectly good bedroom lol!

The background characters all come alive and have a part to play in this story, and I can't wait to read their stories too. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series of the Elder races, which will focus of Tiago one of Dragos Sentinel and Tricks who is an Elven Queen.

Some people may suggest the Nalini did it better with Raphael and Elena in the Guild hunter series, but the only parallels to draw to that book is that New York is ruled by 2 ruthless cold blooded gorgeous creature from another dimension and leave it at that.

Try the book, and I bet you'll be pleased,I was!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding new series., 18 Sept. 2011
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Dragos Cuelebre, Lord of the Wyrkind demesne, is an ancient dragon who takes on a human form. He has led all of the Wyrkind for centuries from his demesne based in New York. As founder and head of Cuelebre Enterprises, Dragos is very powerful, financially, politically and magically. He can be selfish, callous, possessive, territorial, wicked, cunning, and ruthless - and those are his kinder traits.

Then something happens that has never before been accomplished. Someone manages to locate his hidden horde and steals a small object. Finding the horde is a miracle in itself, but to somehow slip through all the magical wards and traps - and survive - should have been impossible. Worse, none of Dragos's wards ever warned him of an intruder. His bellow of rage shakes all of New York. He would find and tear the little thief to pieces.

Pia Giovanni's late mother had engraved the lessons into her mind. Pia was never to tell anyone about herself. She was to blend in with the humans. Stay under the radar and avoid scrutiny. Never tell anyone that she was half human and half something else. She was to live her life in secret. But her mother is dead and Pia did not want to be alone. She told one minor secret to her boyfriend, Keith, the man she once loved, while they had been tipsy. No lock can hold her. She can open any lock as if it was not there. Uttering that single fact marked the end of life as she knew it. Months after Pia broke up with him, Keith reappears and blackmails her into stealing an object, any object, from Dragos's secret horde. Pia takes a secret pleasure in retrieving a simple copper penny for Keith instead of anything valuable. Her conscience has her leaving another penny in its place, along with a short note of apology. Before handing the coin over to Keith, she returns the favor of blackmail. To get what Pia stole, Keith has to read a binding spell. Never again would Keith be able to use her or tell any of her secrets. When the Great Beast roars and all of New York trembles, Pia knows her theft has been noted. She must leave everything and everyone she cares for behind. There is no doubt that the massive dragon would find her. Dragos has never shown mercy. Her circumstances would not matter. He would find her. He would rend her to pieces. Pia can only run to dely the inevitable.

Pia makes it to Charleston, South Carolina. It is the seat of the Elven Court and the Wyr, especially their leader Dragos, cannot trespass without breaking all sorts of treaties. So Pia is standing on the beach, feeling safe and secure, at least for the moment, when a humongous dragon dives from the sky, morphing into the form of Dragos, as he pounces upon his prey - her. Stalling, Pia starts answering all of Dragos's questions while wondering when he would begin dishing out justice for her crime against him. Once she finishes explaining how and why she committed the theft, Pia is shocked to hear that Dragos is sparing her life. Of course, she will have to make recompense by serving him (at Cuelebre Enterprise) until he deems the debt is paid.

Upon catching his little thief, Dragos realizes that, for the first time in centuries, he is not bored. Pia constantly surprises him and he is eager for her to remain close. Until Dragos releases Pia, she is his! But getting her safely back to Cuelebre Tower in New York turns out to be a challenge. The Light Fae, goblins, the Dark Fae, and even the sadistic Dark Fae King, Urien Lorelle, stands in the way.

***** FIVE STARS! This is the first title of the Elder Races Series. My synopsis explains the main characters, what first brings them together, and some challenges they must overcome; however, it does not really do the story justice. All the obstacles I mention do not even cover the first half of this book. The second half is in New York, where the pair will face much more danger. Secondary characters (who play vital roles and who may have their own story in the future) have their backgrounds developed. In other words, I cannot name and/or describe the other people and events without more than tripling my review and possibly having spoilers. (I refuse to write spoilers!)

The author has (basically) kept the world as we know it today. Since it is familiar to me, I feel a connection with the story. It is believable to me. Other authors have done this. The "Sookie Stackhouse Series" is a good example and I feel that Harrison's world and characters are just as well done. Readers will find themselves hooked immediately and dread having to put the book down for even a brief time. I warn you not to being reading this story until you are sure that you have plenty of alone time. With this one story, the author has made a fan of me. Thea Harrison's writing is exceptional in every way. *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Nov. 2011
If you like paranormal romance, your going to love this. If your fans of Nalini Singh and J R Ward, both of which, in my humble opinion, write some of the best alpha males in paranormal romance at the moment, your going to love it even more.
I won't go into detail on the plot, as you can read that on the other reviews. Thea Harrison writes a rip-roaring tale of passion, love and adventure, and I can't wait for the next book to come out. She doesn't fall into the trap alot of romance authors do, and thats have our romantic leads hating each other for what ever reason, all the way to the end, then we are expected to believe they just changed their minds and realised they were in love.
These romances move along at a believeable pace and build tension. I also loved the action in this book, it rattles along and keeps you hooked and breathless. If you try a new paranormal romance author this year, make it Thea Harrison.

3.0 out of 5 stars Elder Races book 1, 11 Sept. 2011
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
3.5 Stars

Pia is half human and half wyr but due to her mother's protectiveness she has always tried to remain hidden from the rest of the wyrkind. When she is blackmailed into stealing from the most powerful dragon she knows her life will never be the same again. Dragos is incensed when he discovers something missing from his hoard and fully intends to make the thief pay but when he tracks down Pia he is surprised at the response she brings out in him. He is intrigued by this woman who may be scared of him but still refuses to back down and he is determined to discover the secrets she is hiding.

I've been wanting to read Dragon Bound ever since I first heard about it, I love dragons but you so rarely find them as the main character in books that I automatically want to buy any books I come across. After seeing nothing but positive reviews for this book and reading the amazing comments on the cover from some of my favourite authors I was expecting to be blown away by the story. Although I enjoyed the book I found myself somewhat disappointed, it just didn't quite manage to live up to all the hype that I've seen. Perhaps I went into things with my expectations too high but it was hard not to with the comments I'd read. Having said that I still liked the story, I like Thea Harrison's writing style and I'm very curious to see where the series will lead to next. I have already bought the next book Storm's Heart and am looking forward to giving it a try.

As a heroine Pia was full of contradictions, at times she was strong and brave but there were other times she was so weak that I wanted to shake her. When she was standing up for herself against Dragos I was happily cheering her on but I found it frustrating that there were occasions when she just went to sleep and let him deal with whatever problems came their way. I was very intrigued to find out what her secret was though and although I'd made several attempts at guessing what kind of wyr she was I didn't come close to the truth, I love it when an author can surprise me. Dragos was a character I really liked, he was a strong alpha male and could be too protective and possessive but he did learn to temper his behaviour as the story goes on. The attraction between the couple was intense and just what I look for in a paranormal romance.

I was impressed with the world that Thea Harrison has created, it was nice to read about something other than vampires and werewolves for a change. In Dragon Bound we see dragons, fae, goblins, harpies and even thunderbirds - I'm looking forward to getting to learn more about them all as the series progresses. There are some interesting side characters and I was pleased to see that Tricks will be the heroine in the next installment as she was definitely my favourite. Although Dragon Bound didn't amaze me it was still a good start to a new series from a debut author and I have high hopes for how things will continue.

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, 20 Dec. 2011
E. L. Joseph (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
this is the first installment of the elder races novels and follows half-Wyr Pia, who has been blackmailed into stealing from a dragon no less by her loser of an ex boyfriend. When Dragos realises that someone has gotten the better of him he is determined to find out who it was and how they managed to find his lair. Pia, meanwhile just wants to disappear and stay out of trouble from now on - the worst possible thing is for Dragos to find her. But when Dragos does just that she finds out that things can in fact get a lot worse.

This was a pretty decent book. I enjoyed it but yet I can't say that it hooked me on the series - i am not desperate for the next installment or particularly bothered about how the story continues. I didn't really connect with the characters all that much but there was plenty going on to keep me interested, especially the mystery of what kind of Wyr Pia actually is - something she doesn't even know herself. This part was genius - i was totally surprised which was nice.

This book was good on its own: it had a few flaws and like I said before im not hooked but it was decent. I didn't feel a strong pull to the characters but the plot was quite good.

Worth a read but, for me, not a keeper

5.0 out of 5 stars Here be dragons, 11 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Dragon Bound (Elder Races Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Pia was blackmailed into stealing an item from the hoard of Dragos, one of the Elder races. She manages to achieve the impossible and steals a penny, but this was not just a simple theft and she becomes embroiled in a fight between two Elders who are mortal enemies. Dragos discovers the theft almost immediately and tracks Pia down. However, he doesn't kill her. There is something about her that intrigues him...

The plot thickens; Pia is recognised by the elves due to her resemblence to her mother, but they do not like Dragos. Dragos does not want to let her go, then they are kidnapped. As they try to escape from their captors, things happen that reveal more about Pia and who she is.

I love Dragos - he's been around since the birth of the world and old habits die hard. He's not used to anybody defying him or standing up to him, but he cannot let her go, and there is the matter of the enemy trying to kill him, and her by association. He has to learn to love on her terms, not his and it is wonderful how the two leads learn to cherish each other, both having to learn to trust each other. I thoroughly recommend this book. It's already one of my all time favourites.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinda nice, 10 Aug. 2011
I see the previous reviews give it 5 stars and think its wonderful. I wouldnt go that far myself. It is enjoyable but has many similarities to Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series . However the relationship between Dragos and Pia (Dragon Bound)is much warmer than that between Raphael and Elena (Angels Blood etc) and the Guild Hunter books feel darker and edgier.
Although Dragos has existed from the beginning of the Solar System and is supposed to be very bad,he actually came over as being a bit juvenile and given to temper tantrums when crossed. However 'bad' the author tried to portray Dragos one didnt get a feeling of being afraid of him in the way one would be afraid of Raphael.
Thea Harrison is a new author in the genre of paranormal romance and we need new authors so I would reccommend it for that reason alone.
Its quite a good read but for me the mystery of what kind of creature Pia will turn out to be is more interesting than the romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 6 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Dragon Bound (Elder Races Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book kept cropping up on my recommendations list and I resisted for quite awhile but then tried sample on kindle and quickly bought and read the whole book. I really loved it. Pia was a funny strong heroine and Dragos is ultimate alpha. Their relationship was both funny and touching. Pia is on the run after stealing under duress a very minor item from Dragos' secret hoard of treasures. She isn't on the run for very long and the majority of the book has them together fighting goblins, dark fae and getting to know each other. There is a major thread concerning Pias origins and what sort of shifter her mother was. The scenes back at Dragos' home where his staff and friends come to terms with seeing Dragos in love and Pia finding out about her powers and parentage are fab. Loved it. Was a bit disappointed rest of series wasn't about this relationship. Didn't love the second book so much but this I'll definitely read again.

Dragon Bound (Elder Races Book 1)