5.0 out of 5 stars Transcend F8 All-in-1 Multi Card Reader USB 3.0
Transcend F8 All-in-1 Multi Card Reader USB 3.0

This is a small and light USB 3.0 card reader made with Genesys Logic GL3220 controller. It supports 3 types of cards CF, SD and MS., including all variants of these cards up to date. F8 opens 3 drives when connected to PC, so transfers between micro and normal cards must go thru the computer.
PRO:
-...
Published on 18 Nov. 2011 by O. Wolf

Bought this to use on an Asus N56VM laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium as it's own card reader doesn't do CF cards. Initially all seemed OK with the reader being detected by Windows and the requisite driver being installed.

Published 12 months ago by MR R W MELDRUM

5.0 out of 5 stars Transcend F8 All-in-1 Multi Card Reader USB 3.0, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Transcend All-in-1 Multi-Card Reader Device (SDHC/SDXC/MSXC USB 3.0) Black (Personal Computers)
Transcend F8 All-in-1 Multi Card Reader USB 3.0

PRO:
- very pocketable for Multi card reader
- fastest in my small collection of readers *
- good quality of manufacturing for a plastic construction
- drive bays are good (at least for SD and CF no MS to try) and on the front side for me
- reads and writes old Sandisk SDHC 30MB/s card with 30MB/s - not all USB 3.0 readers do that

CON:
- small weight when used on desk: heavy cable will lift it up (Flat cable will help if you can get one..)
- no xD slot if you need one
- for MS users: slot is on the backside
- included cable is short (60cm) and not very flexible

* fastest when used with Genesys Driver which can be found on Hama web site

Results for new Sandisk Pro SDHC 8GB are 94.2 read and 86.6 for write (continious)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, 12 Nov. 2012
I was a bit hesitant to get this in the first place as it didn't explicitly state whether it worked with MicroSDXC cards, but at least compared to the USpeed USB3.0 card reader Uspeed USB 3.0 Superspeed Multi-in-1 Card Reader 4-Slots for SDXC, SDHC, SD, CF, High-Speed CF (UDMA), MS, M2, Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, Micro SD Cards [Support UHS-I] this has a dedicated MicroSD slot so I don't have to put my MicroSD into an SD convertor card. I've also had a Lexar MicroSD card reader (wouldn't read SDXC so it would cap my 64gb card at 32gb) and a Komputerbay SDXC and MicroSDXC USB 2.0 card reader Komputerbay 8-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, TF (MicroSD, MicroSDHC, MicroSDXC) Black unfortunately the build quality on that was absolute crap and it stopped working after about 3 goes. This card reader does read MicroSDXC cards so there's now no reason to not buy it if that's your worry. I can't say too much on the USB 3.0 speed side of things (I've only got a USB2.0 connection available) but it is giving me faster speeds than the other readers were giving me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, 26 Jun. 2013
I'm an avid amateur wildlife photographer and I shoot in RAW. The memory card reader I had been using seemed to take an age to transfer the files to my computer for processing, so on buying a new high-speed card I decided to get a high-speed USB 3.0 reader to help things along. I was amazed at the difference this little device has made. Downloading now takes seconds instead of minutes.
A USB 3.0 cable is supplied, fortunately, as the connector on the reader is not one I've come across before. The cable is only about 18" (46cm) long, which is not a problem for me, but others may need to buy a longer cable.
There are much more expensive USB 3.0 card readers about but I cannot see why anyone would need to spend more than the £11.49 this costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars MULTI CARD USB 3.0 READER (TRANSCEND), 13 May 2012
High quality, reliable, currently used with cards from NIKON D800, big files that transfer quickly and reliably.
Unit itself small and solid, Cable thick but quite short (estimate about 50cm) this helps ensure high tranfer speeds met.

So good now own two. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and fast., 9 Oct. 2012
A very worthwhile upgrade from my USB 2.0 card reader. Using a Transcend 85MB/s SD card I can pull data off the card at about 80-90MB/s using the Windows driver here: [...]

--- Sadly Amazon have removed the link to the driver. It is available from the Hama website. ---

The reader is very small and seems well made. CF cards locate positively and SD cards do not require too much insertion force (unlike some readers I've used). My only criticism is that the connecting lead is far too short to be of use to anyone using a desktop PC. Fortunately Amazon sell this extension lead: Max Value 2m USB 3 Extension Cable - Black which is cheap and works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and value for money, 10 Dec. 2013
John Boy (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's small - approx. 67mm long x 45mm wide x 15mm deep - quick to install on Windows 7 and quick to download images from a memory card when using USB 3.0. Note that Windows Explorer properties titles it as USB 2.0 card reader, but then again it is backwards compatible. It will install with Microsoft's 2006 driver, but I used RAXCO Perfect Updater to find and install the Genesys May 2011 driver. There is a firmware update - TS22 - at the Transcend site.

Nicely made. As other reviewers have written, the cable is a bit inflexible and may need a half-loop in it so that the reader sits flat on the desk.

There is a link for a free download of software to recover deleted or damaged files. I haven't tried it but this sounds a nice bonus.

Much better than my Belkin card reader.

1.0 out of 5 stars Create a Windows 7 System Restore point before you update the firmware on this..., 3 Mar. 2014

Things fell apart rapidly however when I upgraded the reader's firmware from TS21 as shipped to TS22 using Transcend's firmware updater as whilst the firmware update went without hitch, Windows now no longer detects the reader and if I uninstall the driver in Device Manager, thus forcing Windows to re-detect the reader, it displays an unsigned driver error. This went so far as to effectively disable all four USB ports on the laptop, with not even known good USB sticks being detected.

Since Transcend don't see fit to provide any drivers for this device, far less signed ones, and neither is there any option to roll the firmware update back, it's now a paperweight, albeit a very small and lightweight one.

You can sign the drivers yourself, but this is not straightforward and doesn't always work apparently, and in any case why should we as punters have to faff around like this just to get something to work...?

This is my first experience with Transcend products and sadly it will be my last, which is a pity because it's a nicely made little device that promises much but may not deliver.

YMMV and all that.

Update to this scenario...

After playing around with uninstalling all the USB drivers and letting Windows reinstall them, and a fruitless search for updated drivers, I ended up doing a System Restore to a point just prior to the device firmware upgrade and this restored correct operation of all four USB ports plus the card reader.

So, if you buy this card reader and intend to update the firmware and you're running Windows 7 Home Premium, create a restore point just before you update the card reader's firmware. This means you'll have a minimum of updating afterwards should you have to perform a System Restore like I did.

Even though the reader now functions, I'm leaving the rating at one star as it shouldn't be necessary to jump through these types of hoop for a basic USB card reader, irrespective of whether you're an IT God or not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not without problems, 24 Mar. 2013
I needed a USB 3.0 card reader for quicker transfers rather than using cameras with in-built USB 1 or 2 and this is so much quicker than either. The only downsides are an odd driver issue that it stops being recognised after the PC has been to sleep and needs to be unplugged and reconnected for it to start working again and also that the supplied USB cable is laughably short. We're talking about 30cm or so. That'll be fine if you're using it with a laptop but if you're using it with a desktop that's on the floor or something, be sure to budget the extra cost of a USB 3.0 extension cable. Without the odd disconnection issue and the short cable, I'd give it 4 but as it stands, it could be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and effective = a great combination, 17 Feb. 2014
Reviews Guy (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Purchased this to use with my brand new Mac Pro, the one that looks like a trash can.

This card reader works very well and transfers my videos to the Mac Pro blazingly fast compared to my USB 2.0 reader, so it's obviously doing its thing and using the 3.0 connection effectively. What more can I say? It's small, light, and has a blue LED to indicate that it's plugged and in operation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little card reader, 27 Jun. 2014
This card reader has USB 3.0 technology so if you have USB 3 on our computer it will read and write faster.
If you only have USB 2 then it will still work, but you won't see any speed difference from other card readers.

I use it for CF cards for my camers and it reads it without difficulty - I haven't tried other cards but it would do the same for them I am sure.

I use Transend for a lot of my cards, but I do have other makes and all work fine.

The reader itself looks smart - a simple but sleek box shape. It connects to your computer via a supplied USB mini to USB 3 lead. This is very short - not a problem for laptops, but if your computer is tucked away under a desk it may be awkward. You can disconnect te lead from the reader and use the lead on its own if your camera (or other device) has a mini USB connection as an alternative connecting method, but again think of the short lead.

Overall I am very happy. This sort of device either will be great or rubbish depending on how you want to use it. For me it is great!