4.0 out of 5 stars 52 Small Changes - One Excellent Book
52 Small Changes

This is a lovely book to read, and to follow. Each week, a new `change' is introduced, and explores how this change may be incorporated into every day life. The new change is reinforced, and new changes introduced, so in just a few short weeks, significant improvements towards "a happier, healthier you" is achieved.

Although the...
Published on 24 Dec. 2011 by Tim from Surrey

2.0 out of 5 stars I'll bet you don't get past week 4....
This is disappointing. The ideas in it range from the banal to the bleedin' obvious and back again.

Drink more water, eat more fruit, go to bed earlier, do more exercise. Repeat every month

There - I've just saved you £3.50.

A final point - it deosn't work in kindle as you can't really flip back and forwards because the contents page is...
Published on 30 Jan. 2013 by Rachel Irvine

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A calm and rational approach to resolutions, 18 Dec. 2011
Bob and Billy's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 52 Small Changes (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As the new year approaches, thoughts inevitably turn to the tradition of resolutions. What to give up? What to improve? What to change? All in the name of self improvement - it can be doomed to failure!

This book offers a calm and rational approach to self improvement through a simple formula - one change / improvement per week. Each chapter gives you just that, and the chapter summaries show how these cumulate over the year into a 'better' you. From drinking more water, to exercise - its all there.

Of course, you could start anytime, not just new year, but in terms of simplicity and stickability, I'm giving this one a go as my resolution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes sense, 24 April 2013
This review is from: 52 Small Changes: One Year to a Happier, Healthier You (Kindle Edition)
I'm working through this although a bit more quickly than the one a week as I'm already doing some of these things. Most of the ones I've read so far are common sense and if you've been trying to live a healthy lifestyle they won't be new to you. However I've only got up to week 25 and have been very good about not looking ahead - so I could be in for some surprises!
Most are easy to incorporate and the advice sensible, although the getting rid of negative people in your life might not be so easy!

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 7 May 2013
Found the advice fascinating and very clear to follow. I'm certainly trying to put into practice the weekly suggestions. They may all be pretty obvious, but its written in a way that encourages you without preaching.

3.0 out of 5 stars well-sructured self-help, 20 July 2012
Denise hale (CHELTENHAM, Glos United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 52 Small Changes (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I actually ordered this as a Christmas present than decided not to give it. I felt that the recipient may have been offended that I was suggesting they needed to change their life. The author does state that you can use the book and adapt it to your needs. However, you do need to be self-motivated to incorporate the changes in to your life.
As an avid reader of women's magazine I did not learn anything new from this book. In fact the information is presented in a magazine style format; optimistic, informative, then summarised into byte-sized, easy-to-follow actions. It mixes diverse subjects; diet, exercise, financial advice, housekeeping, use of leisure time and work motivation therefore covering all aspects of your life which may need adjusting in order to increase your sense of well-being.
I'm not a great fan of self-help books but I can see their appeal to others. I can also see that the introduction of these changes would help you, however they are investments into your future and besides the motivation to incorporate into your life-style you would need patience to appreciate the results of these changes. That said a beautiful flower grows from a small seed, it has to be nurtured and tended before it will blossom, if we applied the same approach to our life-skills then maybe we'd all be happier, this book could plant the seed within you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 52 Small Changes: One Year to a Happier, Healthier You, 1 Feb. 2012
This is one of the best health books I have read in a long time, easy to follow and it has already made a difference to my life.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you actually follow this book it will work, 1 Jan. 2014
I've seen a few reviews on here stating that the advice given is obvious. I can't argue with that - drink more water, exercise, get plenty of sleep... obvious! But whilst this may be obvious to everyone, think of how many people you know who don't do the obvious things that help them.

I finished this book just before New Years, after making a change every week as suggested by the book, and I have felt the difference.

Its the first of January today and Facebook is full of people talking about how they're going to make all these massive changes to their lives this year. But, as I saw throughout last year, these changes are quickly forgotten about as they try to take to much on, such as radically changing their diets and going from doing no exercise to planning on going to the gym every night. People try to make too many changes at once, find it too difficult, give up and its forgotten about for another year.

By following this books advice and making one small change every month you will notice a difference. Over this past year I've lost weight, improved my sleeping patterns and improved my diet. However there are a few chapters I've not took on board as I've not felt they're relevant (and I was certainly amused by the chapter on protecting myself from the sun that I ended up reading in the lead up to Christmas!) but for the most part this books works. That is if you actually follow its advice and stick with it without either giving up or trying to do more than one change a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars useful, 24 Mar. 2013
good to get you doing things you know you should be doing and don't. one idea a week is a good way ahead. but 52 is too many and some seem to repeat. nonetheless i would recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars 52 Small changes: One Year to a Happier, Healthier You, 12 Feb. 2013
It's very ambitious to think one can change habits of a life time, even in fairly small steps. Some of the steps are quite large in fact. Never been one to make New Year's Resolutions and this book is a bit like that but 52 of them.

We should all read it and try to change some of our ways. Whether we would be happier for it; not entirely sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars East to follow, 28 Jan. 2013
One of the best self help books I have ever owned. This book takes you through slow steady baby steps to improving your life. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to make changes

4.0 out of 5 stars Great motivation to change!, 28 Jan. 2013
I bought this book around new years, and it really does make the perfect new years resolution. It means not focusing on one large change, which can be very difficult and hard to keep up, but instead encourages you to make one small change a week (or more or less, depending on the pace you want to take).

So far for me, it's working very well. I've been going in ordder at around the one change per week pace, but sometimes I've done two a week if their easier. It's motivated me to drink more water, be more active, and even be more optimistic.
These are all things I know I should do anyway, but it's hard to start them just like that, and then I'm more likely to start all at once and fail. This book is encouraging me to keep up all of these healthier changes as well as introducing me to healthy concepts I hadn't thought of before. Hopefully I can look back in a year and say it's all changed me for the better.

One note however, the book has many helpful items at the back, such as a copy of a food journal to use, but this is much more difficult to access on the kindle (it's quite annoying to flip back and forth on it), and the size of these and some of the other graphs/images in the book just look a little too squashed and small.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›